Future and Popularity of the Spanish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JC is still the King of Spain. How can Spaniards become Felipistas when Felipe is not the King yet ? The Spaniards were not Juancarlistas when JC was the Prince of Spain.

Correct but mainly because they did not know what to expect, keeping in mind the dictatorial background. With Felipe it's very different. He has been prepared and presented to the public as heir for almost 40 years now in order to prepare the ground for the public to become Felipistas one day. It remains to be seen if the campaign was successful.

I doubt the woman who can turn the Spaniards into Felipistas right now even exists. As great as Queen Sofia was/is, she didn't turn the Spaniards into Juancarlistas, she only became popular after the famous scandal in 92 involving JC and his long term mistress. The Spaniards started to appreciate her professionalism and dedication to the crown.
You are probably right, maybe the climate in Spain did and still does not allow such a woman. I recall that scandal very well and hope that Letizia does not have to endure the same to be appreciated or respected by the Spanish public :ohmy:

Yes, the other countries are a bit different since they see Monarchy as part of their history and identity. I agree WA is the most stable heir since he is the Dutch heir, not Spanish heir. I don't know if WA is the best prepared, I doubt he would have done better than Felipe if he were the PoA of Spain.

Agree. As you say it's that history and identity that is missing in Spain that would make things much more easy for Felipe. It does not only help but can be decisive for survival or abolishment.

Duke, the same question you can do it to you in all the countries that have Monarchies. Why do they support them? Only for history? Have they asked at some time their citizens if they want Monarchy? Or they are institutions that continue there century after century, and already...

The Monarchy has its positive part and its negative part, is not chosen ... but if it is an institution that works, assures you a Headquarters of the State, moderate, educate well and formed,and with relations that they work for many years. I believe that there are two factors, the not political element and the element education, which they are fundamental.

In Spain there is an alternation of two big political groups, the idea of a person Chief of State, who is neither of one nor of other one, offers a line of continuity and stability. In Spain we are alternating, a Government has an average life of approximately 8 years, from there it "burns" and passes to another side. Curiously, in many surveys some of the better valued politicians are those who occupy more centrist opinions, nevertheless inside their groups and precisely because of it, these politicians are separated.
On the other hand, many of our politicians have deficiencies in their formation, and do little for changing it. It turns out to be shameful and is a motive of jeer that our President of the Goverment do not speak languages.

Duke, is in the habit of saying that we are a country of passions, so soon someone is in the altar like it we go down to the hells, or on the contrary.:rolleyes:
The Queen Sofia has gained the respect went by the years , initially she was not got well for certain sectors.

The Princess of Asturias suffered the rejection of certain sectors, and in addition she turned into a " mine of gold " for the press. Then it began a game at which everything was good, the lie and the turpitude included. Initially, probably many people suffered this pleasure that the normal persons we feel when we criticize to rich and famous. The Princess follows their way, and limits to doing what she has to do. And while, they continue extracting others every slightly new day. But like it is necessary to refill the programs of television or the magazines, which is extracted or is repeated or increasingly absurdity. And ultimately, many people end up by perceiving these assaults as absurd.

And as soon as already it has come near to the most complete of the absurdities, it begins a new process, in which the things are calmer. Then, the persons start perceiving the things otherwise, and value more the Princess for supporting with dignity this harassment and continuing doing what has to do, of what they value these critiques or gossips.

Duke, the same question you can do it to you in all the countries that have Monarchies. Why do they support them? Only for history? Have they asked at some time their citizens if they want Monarchy? Or they are institutions that continue there century after century, and already...

I think it's a mix of both. History is important, the longer the better because the longer a monarchy exists and has served the country and its people the more respected it will be and the more difficult it will become to get rid of it. People simply can't imagine their country without the institution because it has always been there, in some cases for almost a millennium (I am not sure though what would happen in some countries if a public vote was conducted; especially young people are less interested). This connection is missing in Spain and obviously part of the problem. Those who want a republic probably will never have a better chance to abolish the institution than now or within Felipe's reign.

It turns out to be shameful and is a motive of jeer that our President of the Goverment do not speak languages

It is indeed but not a spanish problem. There are even Heads of State around who hardly speak English, are struggling with their own language or don't know to behave in other cultures etc :eek:

I have the impression, of which the King and with it the strategies of the House of His Majesty the King, they have remained stagnant. They have not been capable of adapting to the pace dizzy in that the society has changed. There is something that does not work.

I agree with you and Spain is not the only country facing this problem. It's the same in Britain where the CP already tries to do things his way with his own office but it's a different question if this is a good thing or a bad thing :rolleyes:.

I'm not endorsing the "burning" acts, I do not think that's the right way to do things, but those are manifestations of how many people feel about the whole monarchy thing

Things aren't heated just in Catalunya or in Euskadi, that pic I shown was from Oviedo, where people were having a pacific manifestation pro-republic, there have been manifestations in Madrid, in Sevilla, in a lot of places; the only die-hard monarchist I know are people over 60 and they aren't gonna live forever you know, most people under 40 is not a monarchist or simply don't care for it

Spain is not a monarchy-loving country per se (that's why we have had 2 republics, the last one failed because of that #~#€#~¬#¬#@~ called Franco and his megalomaniac ways), maybe we will have the Greek situation, there the monarchy was re-instated and the next generation it was permanently banned in a referendum

I don't think the chance will occur when JC is still the king, but I do believe things will change when he dies (just like what happened with King Pavlos and Prince Constantine in the 60's)

We just have to wait and see if we get 30 more years of a monarchy or it ends (I really hope so) when KJC takes his last trip to el Escorial (or wherever he's gonna be buried at)

God save the King, at least long enough to leave the country in a better situation where we can choose whether we want to be under the Borbon rule or not

Crisiñaki, which in a country of 44 million persons there are no persons who are republican and demonstrate for their ideas ... it would be a miracle ... in Oviedo there was a group of 10 or 20 young people, and there was more than 100 acclaiming the Kings. More of once and of two, groups of republicans, communists and others, they have organized protests. But in general, which acclaim the Kings overcome those who protest.

Another thing, it is what is happening in Catalonia with the whole serie of violent acts, in which thery insulted and threaten. These acts are totally organized and endorsed by independence Catalan groups, which can be mobilized very well to do noise, more if they have publicizes. But the methods that they are using are accepted neither by great majority of the Spanish, nor many Catalans.

One is free to express ideas, but there are forms and forms. And this is not the way of defending nothing.

Of course, that's not the way to do things, violence is never the way, but it works like a cathartic method for the feelings of some people in there

Do you honestly think that Spain is a pro-monarchy country? I don't think so, the Kings are liked and respected, but the institution (not talking about any people in the SRF, I'm talking about the monarchy as the form of State) isn't as popular, at least not in the post-franquist generation

I'd like to see pics or info about people protesting against the monarchy in UK, Norway, Netherlands, which is really small; it's all about the spanish situation, which can be related to the Greek situation in the 60's or the Belgian situation in the last years

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I think that the way the royal family, particularly The King, have been shielded by the media has played one of the major parts in the recent problems.
If people had always been able to express themselves and their opinions about what they liked/did not like about the SRF it wouldn't have all accumilated- one newspaper or magazine starts the 'bashing' (whether justified or not) and the rest follow.

Of course I know not everything comes down to this, (protests in Catalunya, Basque country etc..) because we all know that these issues have been going on for a long time now. In an El Mundo article (and something I have a small percentage of belief in), the people have become so exacerbated with the government that they have chosen to use the monarchy as an attention grabber.

I know that not everything that the King does/has done is perfect and it's obvious, as crisiñaki has said, that Spain is not a pro-monarchy country, but as someone who grew up in Spain, I think that it is a real shame that it has gotten to this stage. Pictures of our King and Queen been burned?! :eek:

I have never said that Spain should be a deeply monarchic country, but it is a country that thinks that the Monarchy is useful for the country (according to th poll of the magazine Tiempo of today, realized in addition by a Catalan company). In the last days I have seen and listened, journalists that they declare themselves republicans, but that think that the Monarchy is good for Spain. Another day a journalist was commenting that the republiquinismo is something that cannot be based only on a form of government, it is a set of ideas related to the democracy. And probably, the better thing in democracy be to accept that though the things are not perfect or they are not like you would wish, if they work and are good for all, it is good to support them.

I do not believe that be necessary to compare countries with others, every country has its problems and every society have its reactions.

Spain is a country where the protests they go out to the street, where the people manifest often for multiple things. I do not know if it is habitual in other countries. The people manifest for the good thing and for the bad thing, of civic form or as "savages".

There are bad examples every week, but I am going to take the good one. The reaction of the Spanish in 11M, when millions of persons went out to the street, took place neither in New York nor in London. Different societies reacted in a different way.

For my, if this type of debates develop of a coherent form, they are useful and healthy. Also to the Monarchy things must to be demanded. If they do well their work it is necessary to to recognize, and if they it do evil, it is possible to criticize them.

Ultimately, these actions have been of radical groups and have received reactions of radical others; on the one hand independence Catalans, for other one ultraright-wingers. The worst of the country has gone out to the street. But these groups, though they do very much noise are a minority.

Out of these groups, this weekend and in Barcelona, a political group, it has organized a manifestation asking the for the respect to the institutions. A political group, which leader has been threatened with dead, across a photography with a shot in the head, by the same ones that burn the photos of the King. They attack all that that goes against their radical ideas.

Last edited:
Tiempo

THE CONSULTATION MADE BY "TIME" CONFIRMS THE CONFIDENCE IN THE KING The Spaniards, with Corona the Monarchy very is respected by the citizens, in spite of the attacks against the institution of some minority groups that have seen amplified their performances. An exclusive survey of the Gabinet d'Estudis Socials i Public Opinió (Gesop) for "Time" therefore demonstrates it. 85.3% of the Spaniards consider that the paper of Corona has been positive for the Spanish democracy and almost two thirds think that the Monarchy continues being good or very good in the present times. Although to see it it is enough with going out, always is well verifying it. "Time" has asked the citizens what the King and the Monarchy think about. The results return to be "apabullante". (To see detailed data of the survey of Gesop).

duke wrote:
History is important, the longer the better because the longer a monarchy exists and has served the country and its people the more respected it will be and the more difficult it will become to get rid of it.
I can't agree,look at my country,3000 years of kingdom disappeared in less than one year,i think the performance and people's satisfaction are more important.
but all these happening is a good warning for RF to be more aware of what going on in their country and i am glad that all these happen when KJC is alive.

More protests in Madrid and Catalunya:

Varias decenas de personas protestan contra la monarquía en Madrid - 20minutos.es
Interstitial - Noticia
Manifestaciones en 7 localidades catalanas a favor de los jóvenes acusados de quemar fotos del Rey- Lavanguardia.es - Noticias, actualidad, última hora en Cataluña y España

I blame the media (for not standing up and for hiding things all these years) and the House of the King (the staff), they have dealt very badly with a lot of things lately and it's giving more ammo for republicans to express the feeling

Last edited:
Is Too Hot Now In EspaÑa, I Dont Think Felipe Wiilbe The Next King...

Like I said the other day, people were fed up of feeling that they could not express themselves. Many of the articles posted say the same thing.
Whatever you believe and wherever you stand on this, you can't deny that things are moving fast in Spain right now. :eek:

Oh my.... it's strange to see what's going on right now.

prettyoix said:
Is Too Hot Now In EspaÑa, I Dont Think Felipe Wiilbe The Next King...
It hurts in my soul... but that is what I think, too. :unsure:

It is curious, there are hundreds of articles, you enjoy every assault to the King, but you do not place any on many supports that he receives.:rolleyes:I believe that many sectors of the society have answered to these violent acts, and also it is just to say it.

Zapatero will accompany the King in four acts during the next week
Zapatero acompañará al Rey en cuatro actos durante la próxima semana

The Government of Melilla sends to the King the missive in the one that reproves the assaults to the Wreath
Melilla Hoy - El Gobierno envía al Rey la misiva en la que reprueba los ataques a la Corona

Pujol defends the King as the only factor that " works well " in current " crisis of the system "
Pujol defiende al Rey como el único factor que "funciona bien" en la actual "crisis del sistema". europapress.es

The mayor of Lleida condemns 'roundly' the burning photo of the King in the city
El alcalde de Lleida condena 'rotundamente' la quema de fotos del Rey en la ciudad

The veterans of the Army express ' more than never ' their loyalty to the King
Los veteranos del Ejército expresan 'más que nunca' su lealtad al Rey | elmundo.es

The burning photo of the King is an uncivic act
A summary of the opinions of the readers of The Vanguardia.es related to the burning portrait of the monarch who has taken place in Catalunya
La quema de fotos del Rey es un acto incívico - Lavanguardia.es - Noticias, actualidad, última hora en Cataluña y España

The businessmen praise the " impeccable labor " of the King
ABC.es: castilla-leon - castilla-leon - Los empresarios alaban la «impecable labor» del Rey

The PSOE asks for the " maximum respect " for the King, with whom there has been lived the " major stability "
El PSOE pide el "máximo respeto" para el Rey, con el que se ha vivido la "mayor estabilidad"

PSOE and PP coincide on having asked for maximum respect the King
Informativos Telecinco.com - Nacional - PSOE y PP coinciden al pedir máximo respeto al Rey

The Nuncio of the Pope wishes that God " gives us many families as the Royal one "
ABC.es: nacional - politica - El Nuncio desea que Dios «nos dé muchas familias como la Real»

The widows of three victims of the terrorism direct today a letter of support the King in which they remember that he is not alone
Viudas víctimas ETA dicen que Rey no está sólo ante 'avalancha desprestigio'

The General Trade Union of Workers, one of the majority unions of Spain, joined yesterday the pronouncements that in the previous days the management CEOE had expressedand the Association of Autonomous Workers in defense of His Majesty the King
ABC.es: home - home - UGT se suma a la patronal y las víctimas en defensa de la Monarquía

Esquerra Unida's Youths expressed yesterday rejection to the burning image of the King and other symbols of the State on having understood that it is a question of " manifest samples of violence " that, to their judgment, " they do not do any good to the society and, especially, to the different groups of republican young people ".
elmundo-eldia.com

In Spain there are elections in March, and this it is the fund of everything, simply, here the whole world fights, some of the worst way, to obtain votes. But ERC, though it has certain power in Catalonia, is minority with regard to Spain. And IU, the national group that more defends the Republic, also is minority. And are they and the organizations linked to them those that organize these acts.

On the other hand, till now they have "enjoyed" advertising of the mass media, and it has made that were feeling more brave and every time they were farther. Now many journalists start doing self-criticism, and think that it is necessary to report but without publicizing more these radical. On the other hand, with the new action of the Justice in the Basque Country, the news is now there.

Does it take more than just articles to abolish the Spanish monarchy? What are the serious forces within the country (expect separatists of any kind) believing that the monarchy has to be removed as 1) it tends to impede economical development of the country or 2) it is rather expensive to have the monarchy?

I do not understand very well your question Al bina, but I am going to try to answer you.

The political representatives who represent the majority of the country, the majority of the journalists near to different ideologies, representatives of different economic and social organizations (businessmen, unions ...) ... they do not think of abolishing at this moment any monarchy. They think that at this moment the Monarchy Parliamentary continues being good for Spain. And they think that the attitudes of small groups independence , radical or republican, do not answer what thinks the whole country. Neither 200, nor 1000 represent to 44 millions.

The Parliamentary Spanish Monarchy does not turn out to be expensive for the State. In proportion it turns out to be cheaper in relation to other European Monarchies and Republics.

On the other hand I do not understand your reference to the economy of the country.

I do not understand very well your question Al bina, but I am going to try to answer you.

The political representatives who represent the majority of the country, the majority of the journalists near to different ideologies, representatives of different economic and social organizations (businessmen, unions ...) ... they do not think of abolishing at this moment any monarchy. They think that at this moment the Monarchy Parliamentary continues being good for Spain. And they think that the attitudes of small groups independence , radical or republican, do not answer what thinks the whole country. Neither 200, nor 1000 represent to 44 millions.

The Parliamentary Spanish Monarchy does not turn out to be expensive for the State. In proportion it turns out to be cheaper in relation to other European Monarchies and Republics.

On the other hand I do not understand your reference to the economy of the country.
My questions stemmed from the posts of the members stating that Crown Prince Felipe may not be the next king (e.g., post # 415 by Princess Beatrix). As a rule, regimes are removed due to their inability to manage a particular country and contribute to adequate economical development of a country. For example, a royal family becomes a real financial burden for a state budget.
Considering your answer, it is unlikely for the Spanish Royal family to be removed. In this case, Crown Prince Felipe will be the next king, won’t he?

Last edited:
I guess the House of Bourbon in Spain, may have a chance staying longer. The past is the past, King of Spain should learn his ancestors mistakes with history. His is the first person on the third Restoration of the Spanish Throne.

My questions stemmed from the posts of the members stating that Crown Prince Felipe may not be the next king (e.g., post # 415 by Princess Beatrix). As a rule, regimes are removed due to their inability to manage a particular country and contribute to adequate economical development of a country. For example, a royal families becomes a real financial burden for a state budget.
Considering your answer, it is unlikely for the Spanish Royal family to be removed. In this case, Crown Prince Felipe will be the next king, won’t he?

If the monarchy hasn't been abolished before the King dies, Felipe will be King for sure. It will take time and very complicated process to even make a minor change to the Constitution, let alone abolishing a major institution like the Monarchy.
To answer your previous question, there is no major political force which is against the Monarchy right now. Both PP and PSOE, that occupy the vast majority of seats in the Spanish Parliament, support the Monarchy.
The only change I see from now on is that the royal house will become more transparent, particularly for the King. If the King does anything wrong, he will be criticized. In my opinion, it's not necessarily a bad thing, it should have always been this way.

If the monarchy hasn't been abolished before the King dies, Felipe will be King for sure. It will take time and very complicated process to even make a minor change to the Constitution, let alone abolishing a major institution like the Monarchy.
To answer your previous question, there is no major political force which is against the Monarchy right now. Both PP and PSOE, that occupy the vast majority of seats in the Spanish Parliament, support the Monarchy.
The only change I see from now on is that the royal house will become more transparent, particularly for the King. If the King does anything wrong, he will be criticized. In my opinion, it's not necessarily a bad thing, it should have always been this way.

Interesting analysis, because you are right to recall the role of the major political force in Spain supporting the Monarchy. The actual "agitation" haven't to be neglected and as you say it can be a positive thing .

It is curious, there are hundreds of articles, you enjoy every assault to the King, but you do not place any on many supports that he receives.:rolleyes:I believe that many sectors of the society have answered to these violent acts, and also it is just to say it.

Zapatero will accompany the King in four acts during the next week
Zapatero acompañará al Rey en cuatro actos durante la próxima semana

The Government of Melilla sends to the King the missive in the one that reproves the assaults to the Wreath
Melilla Hoy - El Gobierno envía al Rey la misiva en la que reprueba los ataques a la Corona

Pujol defends the King as the only factor that " works well " in current " crisis of the system "
Pujol defiende al Rey como el único factor que "funciona bien" en la actual "crisis del sistema". europapress.es

The mayor of Lleida condemns 'roundly' the burning photo of the King in the city
El alcalde de Lleida condena 'rotundamente' la quema de fotos del Rey en la ciudad

The veterans of the Army express ' more than never ' their loyalty to the King
Los veteranos del Ejército expresan 'más que nunca' su lealtad al Rey | elmundo.es

The burning photo of the King is an uncivic act
A summary of the opinions of the readers of The Vanguardia.es related to the burning portrait of the monarch who has taken place in Catalunya
La quema de fotos del Rey es un acto incívico - Lavanguardia.es - Noticias, actualidad, última hora en Cataluña y España

The businessmen praise the " impeccable labor " of the King
ABC.es: castilla-leon - castilla-leon - Los empresarios alaban la «impecable labor» del Rey

The PSOE asks for the " maximum respect " for the King, with whom there has been lived the " major stability "
El PSOE pide el "máximo respeto" para el Rey, con el que se ha vivido la "mayor estabilidad"

PSOE and PP coincide on having asked for maximum respect the King
Informativos Telecinco.com - Nacional - PSOE y PP coinciden al pedir máximo respeto al Rey

The Nuncio of the Pope wishes that God " gives us many families as the Royal one "
ABC.es: nacional - politica - El Nuncio desea que Dios «nos dé muchas familias como la Real»

The widows of three victims of the terrorism direct today a letter of support the King in which they remember that he is not alone
Viudas víctimas ETA dicen que Rey no está sólo ante 'avalancha desprestigio'

The General Trade Union of Workers, one of the majority unions of Spain, joined yesterday the pronouncements that in the previous days the management CEOE had expressedand the Association of Autonomous Workers in defense of His Majesty the King
ABC.es: home - home - UGT se suma a la patronal y las víctimas en defensa de la Monarquía

Esquerra Unida's Youths expressed yesterday rejection to the burning image of the King and other symbols of the State on having understood that it is a question of " manifest samples of violence " that, to their judgment, " they do not do any good to the society and, especially, to the different groups of republican young people ".
elmundo-eldia.com

In Spain there are elections in March, and this it is the fund of everything, simply, here the whole world fights, some of the worst way, to obtain votes. But ERC, though it has certain power in Catalonia, is minority with regard to Spain. And IU, the national group that more defends the Republic, also is minority. And are they and the organizations linked to them those that organize these acts.

On the other hand, till now they have "enjoyed" advertising of the mass media, and it has made that were feeling more brave and every time they were farther. Now many journalists start doing self-criticism, and think that it is necessary to report but without publicizing more these radical. On the other hand, with the new action of the Justice in the Basque Country, the news is now there.

Many thanks Lula to put the debat in the rael situation. Yes, if this kind of actions can have spetacular appearences we have to ask ourself what is the true scale of this agitation and the true incidence on the political life of spain?

Tiempo
LA CONSULTA REALIZADA POR “TIEMPO” CONFIRMA LA CONFIANZA EN EL REY

Los españoles, con la Corona

La Monarquía es muy respetada por los ciudadanos, a pesar de los ataques contra la institución de algunos grupos minoritarios que han visto amplificadas sus actuaciones. Una encuesta exclusiva del Gabinet d’Estudis Socials i Opinió Pública (Gesop) para “Tiempo” así lo demuestra.

05/10/07
El 85,3% de los españoles considera que el papel de la Corona ha sido positivo para la democracia española y casi dos tercios piensan que la Monarquía sigue siendo buena o muy buena en los tiempos actuales. Aunque para verlo basta con salir a la calle, siempre está bien comprobarlo. “Tiempo” ha preguntado a los ciudadanos qué piensan acerca del Rey y la Monarquía. Los resultados vuelven a ser apabullantes. (Ver datos detallados de la encuesta de Gesop).

By google automatic translation..

THE CONSULTATION MADE BY “TIME” CONFIRMS THE CONFIDENCE IN THE KING

The Spaniards, with Corona

The Monarchy is very respected by the citizens, in spite of the attacks against the institution of some minority groups that have seen amplified their performances. An exclusive survey of the Gabinet d' Estudis Socials i Public Opinió (Gesop) for “Time” therefore demonstrates it.

On October 5, 2007
The 85.3% of Spaniards believed that the role of the Crown has been good for Spanish democracy, and nearly two thirds believe that the monarchy continues to be good or very good in the present times. Although enough to see it take to the streets, it is always nice to see. "Time" has asked citizens what they think about the King and the Monarchy. The results again be "apabullante". (See details of the survey Gesop).

Magazine Cover

Last edited:
At the end of the week it will be possible accede to the complete news with all the information. Curiously the survey has been realized by a Catalan company.

Many thanks nouwrein and lula for this informations which are concret. It will be very interesting to read the article completly and mainly to read the comments that the press, in particular the serious one, are going to do about this important item.

Do you think that we can read this articles as soon as it's published ?

Exactly, I have never blamed her.
Unfortunately, whether it's intentional or not, many of your posts read as though you do

Duke of Marmalade said:
No, you are right. All of them are accessoires when being with their husbands = heirs. They are the ones who are important. The difference with Letizia is that she's the only CP who is reduced to this accessoire role as all others have more or less their own fields of activity and their own profile, just to name Maxima, Mathilde, Mette Marit etc.
With the exception of Maxima I would question whether any of the CP's have their own "field" or area yet.

Duke of Marmalade said:
You are right no question about her schedule being one of the busiest but assisting Felipe is not the kind of work I referred to earlier.
I would rather see her attend a conference on a serious issue like climate change (as they did recently) even if she is with her husband rather than some of the more "frivolous" activities some of the CP's indulge in.

Duke of Marmalade said:
I don't agree here. No way she does exactly what Felipe does. He's the heir, must be in the drivers' seat, does the speeches, the important talking, prize presentation etc. Letizia is there to assist and do small talk,
I think you'll find they both do the same thing when at an event, at times it's clear that Letizia is the one doing the talking. For example at the Book Fair there were many photos of her chatting away to people while Felipe looked on, she was clearly the one doing the talking.

Duke of Marmalade said:
Oh, well, Felipe confirmed then it must be true
I'm sorry, who else did you expect to confirm it?

I really don't see why people feel the need to constantly change the goalposts where Letizia is concerned. He has said that she helps him a great deal and it has been reported in the past that she does a great deal of work behind the scenes dealing with correspondence etc.

I on't understand why there needs to be this double standard?!

Duke of Marmalade said:
not so sure as royals work as much on their image as celebrities do. Regarding Felipe's speeches, I doubt he does any of them himself, as most other royals. People from Zarzuela's staff will do it for him while he can give input or do some editing. Keeping that in mind, I wouldn't overestimate Letizia's influence on Felipe's speeches. I said earlier that I assume that Letizia is involved in Felipe's work but if it's "heavily" or not I still don't know.
Well it's come staright from the "horse's" mouth that she does help and she offers solutions etc. Moreover it's hardly unbelievable as that's her background.

fetch.dll

Unfortunately, whether it's intentional or not, many of your posts read as though you do
I critizise her role, what else can I do? I am sure if she had the same freedom of expression as other CPs her role would be more active and I would be the first person to applaud because I think in theory she has more potential than some of her peers.

With the exception of Maxima I would question whether any of the CP's have their own "field" or area yet.
I would rather see her attend a conference on a serious issue like climate change (as they did recently) even if she is with her husband rather than some of the more "frivolous" activities some of the CP's indulge in.

All of them have, Mathilde, Mette Marit, Mary ... I agree that in some cases the "seriousness" can be questioned but does it always have to be serious? For me it's more important to see a female CP act independently as it is supposed to be in this century.

I think you'll find they both do the same thing when at an event, at times it's clear that Letizia is the one doing the talking. For example at the Book Fair there were many photos of her chatting away to people while Felipe looked on, she was clearly the one doing the talking.

As I said in my earlier post, Letizia is there to do the small talk and assist, that's exactly what she does at the Book Fair.

I'm sorry, who else did you expect to confirm it? I really don't see why people feel the need to constantly change the goalposts where Letizia is concerned. He has said that she helps him a great deal and it has been reported in the past that she does a great deal of work behind the scenes dealing with correspondence etc.

I on't understand why there needs to be this double standard?!

Well it's come staright from the "horse's" mouth that she does help and she offers solutions etc. Moreover it's hardly unbelievable as that's her background

There is no double standard but there is no proof either. I am quoting here tlg00's post as this is exactly what I mean: People keep mentioning her CV, but what good is a CV full of things that you did four, five, six years ago when you aren't being given the freedom to use those skills independent of your husband? For all of the talk of what's done "behind the scenes," there comes a time when some evidence of that ability needs to be shown in public.

Maybe Felipe feels sorry for his wife that she's not allowed to make use of her abilities in public and wants to show his support by confirming that she actually helps him and I don't doubt that, but I don't know the impact of her help either. Besides, this is such a macho attitude to say Oh yes she helps so much etc and then leave it there. Felipe is as much controlled by Zarzuela as Letizia and sometimes I wonder how high their level of frustration must be. There are both from a different generation but have to follow these old fashioned role definitions because Zarzuela's guys refuse to accept that times and society have changed and some adaptation is unevitable.

Back
Top Bottom