Spanish Royal Easter Vacations (2007-2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And, to me, it looks like little Sofia doesn't like the cameras and posing for them at all! Very understandable, too! Leonor, in that matter, already seems very "business-like" and dutiful! Reminds me of Crown Princess Victoria, who, even as a child, had the look of a future queen to her!

I wonder if Leonor is being trained differently from Sofia because of her future role as queen.

Since a few years, probably since the Infantas are staying away, this event is going downhill, big time. It has become a display of a dysfunctional family, even Elena in Madrid doesnt bother anymore, JC not going anywhere near his grandchildren and not showing the slightest affection towards the Astrurias family (sporting his usual "get me out of here" face), Felipe looks embarrassed by the attitude of his father and Sofia sr. deserves the best actress award for trying to smile away what is so obvious to see.
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture/picture/prev/19631295.jpg

Again, Letizia dressed in ugly and inappropriate clothes, with Leonor and Sofia jr. looking like celebrity kids being handled by one of their nannies ... Letizia looks out of place within the whole family.

The girls seems to be quite different, Sofia jr. looking like a trouble kid, she's already good at giving somebody an evil look (watch out, paps!). Leonor is more the beauty pageant type, eager to please and ready to perform what is being asked of her.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/98...3E702886E9665365393E623DB5769F10DC274458375E8

Nobody wanted to be in Mallorca during the windy and rainy season. The infantas were probably very happy that they were free to do whatever they wanted for the Easter break. If Felipe and Letizia had a choice, they probably would have preferred staying at home and relaxing after the trip IMO, but they didn't. JC did look a bit grumpy, that's not the news anymore. He was supposed to attend the Friday award ceremony with his wife, but didn't show up either. Sofia always loves her son, thus her granddaughters (daughters of her dearest boy), she is truely happy with them anytime, no need to act.

Both sisters are a bit different. Leonor is lively and cheerful, has star quality, no wonder media and public just love her. Sofia is not even 3 years old. She looked tired, not in good mood, but she behaved rather well, didn't throw a tantrum. Duke, She looked a bit like Cristina's boy Miguel (including the expression) in this picture.
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/98...3E702886E9665365393E623DB5769F10DC274458375E8

I wonder if Leonor is being trained differently from Sofia because of her future role as queen.

It is a possibility I guess but it could also be personality types. Maxima and Willem's girls have a similar thing going on with Amalia being outgoing and smiley whereas Alexia nearly always looks uncomfortable and hardly smiles yet little Ariane is a bit of both. Maybe it is also the first born concept that makes Leonor more confident. Just my opinion of course :)

Well maybe he is not "unfriendly" but you can't find a photo of the King taking care of the infantas. He doesn't even seem to try and talk with Letizia. And as Duke of Marmalade has said Q. Sophia deserves an Oscar. The only good thing is that Leonor looks very pretty.

I understand your concerns regarding Letizias outfit, she could have done much better, I agree..... but on the other hand: it seems, the weather was extremly wet and cold.... and aren´t there rumors, that she may be pregnant again, so she may have decided to have the "warm" dress option not to get a flu and she also may need the scarf to hide -- äh -- something ;)

Yes, but since she decides to be dressed casually (for any reason!!!) she should coordinate also the shoes. These high heals do not fit AT ALL with all the other outfit. Boots (even with heals) would be suitable. But these shoes need a dress, not a sport jacket and pants!

And for God's sake! what does she think? even with 20 cm heals she can not pretend to be tall like Felipe!

IMO the King loves his grandchildren, but I think he feels more at ease with Elena´s and ´Cristina´s children.

Yes, but since she decides to be dressed casually (for any reason!!!) she should coordinate also the shoes. These high heals do not fit AT ALL with all the other outfit. Boots (even with heals) would be suitable. But these shoes need a dress, not a sport jacket and pants!

And for God's sake! what does she think? even with 20 cm heals she can not pretend to be tall like Felipe!

And as someone said if she is pregnant she should have chosen other kind of shoes, because the road was slippery due to the rain. And she was taking care of the two infantas. So those shoes were not appropiate in any circumstance.

IMO the King loves his grandchildren, but I think he feels more at ease with Elena´s and ´Cristina´s children.

He defo does, the question is why. The other grandkids are older and can use their brain, not everybody is into toddlers. JC looked uncomfortable on almost any occasion involving the Asturias' children and there are very, very rare occasions when he gets approachable towards Letizia.

The worst example is when Leonor was born, on all pics JC looks like a copy/paste person and even on the all important pic with the three generations, himself, Felipe and baby Leonor, there is this urrggghhhh look on his face. I wonder if Leonor was a boy, would JC, clearly a man's man, be all over that child in public.

The Easter mass has always been a public display of non-affection towards the Asturias, this year is not an exception, JC clearly decides against acting his part as doted granddad, what he could easily do.

We've seen Prince Claus backing Maxima on her engagement day or Henrik hugging Mary - genuine or not, the gestures have been there, in front of the cameras. It's only JC who is refusing to do something similar, showing people that he is in full agreement with the CP couple or the daughter in law.

I agree with dKaren that if the Asturias had the choice, they wouldn't be there. But at the age of 42, Felipe and his family still only answer to one person, the King, what will certainly be frustrating at times. So if JC wants them to be there, they will come and have to endure his quite powerful gestures, his ignorance towards his successor and his family, and a facial expression between desinterest, annoyance and disappointment on the situation.

As I said before, not everything is as well as Sofia sr's smile wants to make people believe, and it always shows at Easter (and of course on National Day, when the Infantas join their father in his attitude).

One explanation for the absence of the Infanta is Elena could be her recent divorce.From my understanding of RC Canon Law as a divorcée Elena would not be allowed Holy Communion at Easter Mass .

Divorce is still a big no no with the Roman Catholic Church .

One explanation for the absence of the Infanta is Elena could be her recent divorce.From my understanding of RC Canon Law as a divorcée Elena would not be allowed Holy Communion at Easter Mass .

That's not true they are still married from the point of view of the chruch. The church only refuses the Holy Communion to those who have another civil marriage without getting an annulment of their church marriage. Even though I think that normally the church does not mind so much, but if Elena marries again I think it will be a problem because she is a famous person. But it is not a problem right now. And Spain is not so catholic as many people think, we are also in the 21st century :flowers:

And if civil divorce was so important for the catholic church, P.Letizia would not be given the Holy communion either ;)

As I was looking at the pictures I kept on smiling at little Sofia's pics. They were very interesting. Her "wicked" smile is very funny. That serious look is very very cute.

Maybe her children didn't want to be in Mallorca since their dad is not a member of the SRF anymore. Two years ago, Froilan looked as if he wanted to cry and he was not a toddler :p.

Maybe her children didn't want to be in Mallorca since their dad is not a member of the SRF anymore. Two years ago, Froilan looked as if he wanted to cry and he was not a toddler :p.

That's true,he did indeed.The past 2-3 yrs have been tough for them .

The past two years, the Infantas have been absent from the Easter mass/family picture. Maybe they thought they should cede the limelights to their brother and his family. But it certainly was much more fun to see all those kids and the whole family there for this occasion.

Well. I was there. In front of the church's entrance.
Maybe I am subjective, so I will tell you my husband's impresssions.
He knows nothing about spanish royals (I almost dragged there while we spent Easter in Mallorca).
The Princes's car stoped in front of us. So, Princess Letizia took Leonor out of car and Felipe was in charge with Sophia.
The Princess of Asturias is stunning . My husband was impressed about her. She is very natural and a true beauty in reality. Felipe is their rock (and very handsome) and all his girls adore him. At least is what we saw.
I don't have to say that Infanta Leonor and Infanta Sophia are two beautiful and VERY WELL behaved girls. Little Sophia was sleepy (so a little grumpy) but very lovely.
Queen Sophia is......a real QUEEN. She is the soul of all the family I think. And She looks like a Queen from 10 meters. There is no doubt about that.
The King ... in reality he is not so cold how it appears in pictures. He is the King ...and he shows that. But he loves his family and in reality you can see his affection for all (in special for the little Infantas).
The audience (spanish ones especially) was very cheerful and delighted to see The Spanih Royal Couple, the Princes and the Infantas.
My family and I enjoyed all the moments there. It is different when you are part of these meetings (in reality).
About the Princes .... I think they have a beautiful family, they love each other and their little girls, an they treasure that. The rest are only words....

Well. I was there. In front of the church's entrance.
Maybe I am subjective, so I will tell you my husband's impresssions.
He knows nothing about spanish royals (I almost dragged there while we spent Easter in Mallorca).
The Princes's car stoped in front of us. So, Princess Letizia took Leonor out of car and Felipe was in charge with Sophia.
The Princess of Asturias is stunning . My husband was impressed about her. She is very natural and a true beauty in reality. Felipe is their rock (and very handsome) and all his girls adore him. At least is what we saw.
I don't have to say that Infanta Leonor and Infanta Sophia are two beautiful and VERY WELL behaved girls. Little Sophia was sleepy (so a little grumpy) but very lovely.
Queen Sophia is......a real QUEEN. She is the soul of all the family I think. And She looks like a Queen from 10 meters. There is no doubt about that.
The King ... in reality he is not so cold how it appears in pictures. He is the King ...and he shows that. But he loves his family and in reality you can see his affection for all (in special for the little Infantas).
The audience (spanish ones especially) was very cheerful and delighted to see The Spanih Royal Couple, the Princes and the Infantas.
My family and I enjoyed all the moments there. It is different when you are part of these meetings (in reality).
About the Princes .... I think they have a beautiful family, they love each other and their little girls, an they treasure that. The rest are only words....

Thanks ClaudiaE for sharing your experience.

Yes, thank you Claudia for your first hand experience and sharing it. It must have been a thrill. Pictures can only capture a mere second of people and events, yet people can conjure up so many interpretations.

so are there some news about the upcoming Easter Celebrations in Mallorca?
Cant wait to see the SRF, especially the little infantas! its been 3 months since we last saw them

:previous: Easter won't be until April 24th, so there's still a month more of waiting. ;)

With the State visit by the Emir of the State of Qatar taking place early next week it will be a very short Easter Break at Palma de Mallorca!

Las vacaciones en Roma de los Prncipes

Pink press is speculating if the Princes will attend the Majorca mass at all. Maybe this time the Princes are staying away and the Infantas will attend instead. We'll see on Sunday.

We all know that this it is not a trustworthy source and less when they write about the Prince and the Princess. The news has enough mistakes and bad intention.

It does not say anything of the possible presence of the old Infantas, it is very improbable that they will go. Infanta Cristina has an act in Barcelona that day in the afternoon, and the children begin the school on monday.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom