Spanish Royal Easter Vacations (2007-2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't believe in this happy cousin relationship at all. Both infantas are close and their children have more of a grown relationship because they are older. There is already a connection when they see each other. Irene being the 4th child has automatically become part of an existing siblings' alliance with a healthy balance: being spoilt here but getting the stick from her brothers there. When looking at pictures there is nothing more than a formal must have relation between the Infantas (especially Cristina) and the Asturias couple and this will reflect on the children. It's somehow a clash of attitudes, a relaxed tomboy family here and showing off picture perfect girls there. Public appearances with her daughters are one of the few opportunities where Letizia can get some much needed admiration from the public for her ego but I don't see any close family relations in these pictures. Apart from Queen Sofia, who is a grandchildren-holic anyway, nobody really bothered, neither the King nor the Infantas. I still see Letizia as a overperfectionist mother who puts all effort into her daughters because the Asturias family is the only true happiness in her life, after being disillusioned about her role.

I can't help myself, but I always think after looking on a picture with little Froilan that he must be unhappy and in the next second he will begin to cry.

I wish him all the best.

Do you have also this opinion?

I don't believe in this happy cousin relationship at all. Both infantas are close and their children have more of a grown relationship because they are older. There is already a connection when they see each other. Irene being the 4th child has automatically become part of an existing siblings' alliance with a healthy balance: being spoilt here but getting the stick from her brothers there. When looking at pictures there is nothing more than a formal must have relation between the Infantas (especially Cristina) and the Asturias couple and this will reflect on the children. It's somehow a clash of attitudes, a relaxed tomboy family here and showing off picture perfect girls there. Public appearances with her daughters are one of the few opportunities where Letizia can get some much needed admiration from the public for her ego but I don't see any close family relations in these pictures. Apart from Queen Sofia, who is a grandchildren-holic anyway, nobody really bothered, neither the King nor the Infantas. I still see Letizia as a overperfectionist mother who puts all effort into her daughters because the Asturias family is the only true happiness in her life, after being disillusioned about her role.

You got to be kidding, Letizia (alone or with Felipe) has always been able to draw a big crowd whenever she (they) goes. They have tried not to use the girls for the public admiration, at least much less than Infanta Cristina who loves to show off her cute kids all over the places. You can obviously see that most of the time the boys simply hated the cameras. Leonor and Sofia happen to be two outgoing kids and have been raised very well by their parents, good for them and their future roles. If Felipe/Letizia are not close to Cristina, does it really matter ? Nobody seems to demand that JC/Sofia have to be close to Infanta Pilar ;).

Last edited:
Some people criticized Letizia and Felipe for "hiding" their cute daughters and not showing them in public often enough. Some people now are criticizing Letizia for using her daughters for gaining public admiration. Am I the only one who sees contradiction here? :rolleyes:

Some people criticized Letizia and Felipe for "hiding" their cute daughters and not showing them in public often enough. Some people now are criticizing Letizia for using her daughters for gaining public admiration. Am I the only one who sees contradiction here? :rolleyes:
No you're not! These sorts of contradictions are rampant where Letizia is concerned though.

Instead of debating over this, what about those Easter eggs that the Queen and her daughters have on a chain around their necks.
It must be a collection.

Inaki was so gallant in letting Elena stand next Cristina instead of her being at the end of the line.

Indeed it's very nice of Inaki to do so. In fact, by protocol, Elena should look for the place next to the King (or her sister should make the room for her), of course the protocol only applies to Letizia :lol:.

Elena was the last one to arrive, so I guess that\'s why she got the last spot, I totally loved when she came with the kids and Iñaki offered Vicky a spot by his side and the girl ran to him, you can see the relationship is really good and the marichalar kids are really close to their uncle :wub: ; another thing: is there a pic where the King is even LOOKING at the Asturias\' girls? he hang with the other kids but didn\'t even give a look at those girls :eek: :ermm:

Leonor and Sofia live very close to the King and Queen, so is it really such a surprise that he focuses more on his other grandchildren?

Although I guess yet again some will be claiming it is all Letizia's fault!

So are the king and Letizia not close? Why?

one thing is focusing on some grandchildren he never seem to be with and other thing is ignoring the ones he supposedly sees all the time :cool: did we see the King talking to Letizia, to Felipe or even looking at their way? :ermm: I saw pics of him talking to Elena, talking to Cristina, to their kids, but it almost was like the Asturias weren\'t even there :ermm: and one more thing: why can\'t Leonor be seeing at a playground with her cousins? I understand Sofi Jr is still too little, but Leo can play with Irene, who plays with her brothers and cousins with no problem, there isn\'t a security issue, if the Queen herself can be at a playground, the King can meet his friends and go to dinner, the Infantas go shopping with no problem, why Leonor can\'t do it? :ermm:

Mariangel said in her journal that the Asturian family arrived in Mallorca on Saturday, how could Leonor go to the playground to play with her cousins when she was not even in Mallorca ? The Asturias live next to the Kings all year long, work at the same Zarzuela Palace, it's only logical that they want to spend the Easter week elsewhere, leave the Kings to their daughters (esp. Cristina) and their families they don't see at daily basis. Felipe also travelled elsewhere when he was single and he never really likes Mallorca with paparazzis everywhere, thus they didn't do anything different as the days when Felipe was single.
The pictures are only the snapshots of a few seconds and actully look quite repetitive among the agencies. Unless you saw the 2-hour live inside/outside the church, how could you draw a conclusion that the King never talked to Felipe or Letizia or looked at their children ? Plus there is a 'single' mom there with two kids, a couple with four kids, of course the Kings were helping them more among the crowd.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mariangel said in her journal that the Asturian family arrived in Mallorca on Saturday, how could Leonor go to the playground to play with her cousins when she was not even in Mallorca ? The Asturias live next to the Kings all year long, work at the same Zarzuela Palace, it's only logical that they want to spend the Easter week elsewhere, leave the Kings to their daughters (esp. Cristina) and their families they don't see at daily basis. Felipe also travelled elsewhere when he was single and he never really likes Mallorca with paparazzis everywhere, thus they didn't do anything different as the days when Felipe was single.
Exactly. Moreover, Cristina in particular, seems very unwelcoming to Letizia, so is it any surprise if Letizia does not want to spend much time with her?

The Prince from bachelor has taken advantage of the vacations of Holy Week or summer to do trips. This summer seems that the Princes are going to be busy enough and not to be going to have opportunity great to be relaxed and removed from everything, so it is logical that they are useful these days.

Since they have commented, the Princes live through few meters of the Kings, share with them many official acts, are almost every day in Zarzuela ... it is logical that in vacations they are the Infantas those who pass more time with their parents.

Princess Letizia's haircut was fantastic but that outfit! The pants looked like JEANS to me and on Easter Sunday to boot!

donnaK said:
The pictures are only the snapshots of a few seconds and actully look quite repetitive among the agencies. Unless you saw the 2-hour live inside/outside the church, how could you draw a conclusion that the King never talked to Felipe or Letizia or looked at their children ? Plus there is a 'single' mom there with two kids, a couple with four kids, of course the Kings were helping them more among the crowd.

Finally a comment that makes sense DonnaK.. :flowers: I totally agree!

Anyway we have seen many other photos of other days in Mallorca (summer) and we could never seen the two little children playing!!!!! We have never seen the three ladys together maybe on the beach or doing some shopping in Mallorca, to me that is really strange! And don't tell me that they are only some snapshots because we have seen several of them in several different ocassions and we could never see them palying and the ladys talking!

Anyway we have seen many other photos of other days in Mallorca (summer) and we could never seen the two little children playing!!!!! We have never seen the three ladys together maybe on the beach or doing some shopping in Mallorca, to me that is really strange! And don't tell me that they are only some snapshots because we have seen several of them in several different ocassions and we could never see them palying and the ladys talking!

And what is the problem if they don´t talk?
There is no need to dramatize if some people, even if they are family, not normally interact. I do not understand why it is given so much importance to this issue...

And what is the problem if they don´t talk?
There is no need to dramatize if some people, even if they are family, not normally interact. I do not understand why it is given so much importance to this issue...
I don't understand the fuss either. Elena and Cristina are sisters, they are bound to be close and want to spend time together. That doesn't mean Letizia needs to join them!

Well said, camarina! There are plenty of families, royal and otherwise, who because of work commitments and differing schedules, etc, don't necassarily spend a lot of time together. It doesn't mean that there's enmity or hostility, just a fact of life. I think sometimes people look for troubles when there are none.:mad:

I also agree that just because we don't see pictures of hugs that there is a problem. Elena and Cristina are bound to be closer and since Cristina lives away from the CP couple, they may not be as close. Normal families have times where personalities are so different that even though they don't hang out together doesn't mean there is dislike, maybe there just isn't common ground. Another thought, and it is strictly my speculation, maybe Cristina realizes that there will always be comparison between Leo and Irene, mostly because they are so close in age. As a mother, maybe she tries to shelter Irene, so that the speculation is less. With the attention focusing on the two little girls, maybe she is just trying to keep Irene out of the media circus and all the speculations.
Look at everyone, I am just as guilty, we are always comparing these two precious little angels to see who is prettier or smarter or better dressed, so maybe she tries to keep distance in order to protect her child. IMHO:flowers:

Little Sofia IMO outweighs her mother.....:rolleyes:

Oh how that cracked me up. So true. :ROFLMAO: Sofia is quite a hardy looking girl. She probably won't have the delicate features and limbs that relate to her sister and mom.

Considering the Austuria couple didn't arrive until the last minute for the Easter Mass and had already gone back to work in Madrid/Barcelona (if I read the recent activities right), when do you think their girls would have time to play with their cousins or spend time about Mallorca?

You're not suggesting Felipe and Letizia should leave their little daughters behind while they're back to work, are you? I can just see the headline now: "Felipe and Letizia abandon their daughters!" :rolleyes:

Wow wow lovely photos grandmother Queen Sofia and his sister Irene!!! Grandchildren hug best grandmother and many grandchilren like love Queen!!! Sister Irene and Queen Sofia is best sister!!!

Love the pic of Irene and Leonor! I wonder if they will grow up to be close! They are both beautiful little girls!

These pictures seem kind of sad to me this year. Elena is there for the first time without her husband, and she looks sad, but game. Cristina still has a complete family, but if anything she looks more grim to me than Elena, and has for a while. Except for the two Asturias infantas, nobody is really dressed in Easter clothing. (Letizia, what happened there!)

Now now... what about the photo of the three ladies during the concert of Bruce Springsteen (am I right with this one?) Don't claim that there is something goin on between the 3 ladies just because we don't see them interacting while posing for some pictures. That is really ridiculous! Elena and Cristina are sisters and now that Elena is separated from Jaime I just think that it's right if Cristina is seen several times with her sister. After all we know for a fact that the 2 are very close. Maybe they think that don't need to "show" that they are interacting with one another, because they know for a fact that the relationship between the 2 of them is ok. Maybe that's their attitude when in public. It doesn't hurt if they don't talk as far as they know that they're ok. I can relate to that because I don't talk either to my cousins when we are with other people. It's my nature so I think it's the same with the ladies too. One doesn't need to show that she's "too close or in friendly terms" with your in-laws all the time. I actually think that if Letizia does that the paparazzi might think that Letizia is overdoing it being close to her in-laws. Some people are just not "showy".

Back
Top Bottom