Easter Holidays 2016 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
His Majesty looks in much better condition!!!
Yes, he's leaning over the Infanta, but not as much as he did over his aide during QEII and Konstantinos' funerals. Elena is such a devoted daughter.

Last edited:
I wonder if HM arrangements are made for HM to attend Mass regularly in Abu Dhabi, something that is often forbidden in strict Islamic countries?

I would think a priest could be arranged to come say Mass for him whenever he wants it, should he choose.

As seen by how they were at the "Abrahamic" center, "strict Islamic" countries (in theory) don't have much of a problem with Christians or Jews worshipping, since under Islam, the faiths are accorded respect. The problems are when geopolitics get involved, or if you are something like Baha'i which is not recognized at all and can put your life in danger.

I wonder if HM arrangements are made for HM to attend Mass regularly in Abu Dhabi, something that is often forbidden in strict Islamic countries?

About 20% of the population of the UAE is Christian. They are free to worship. The only things that are forbidden are to proselytize, convert from Islam, or for a Musim woman to marry a Christian.

St Joseph's is the RC Cathedral in Abu Dhabi and there are dozens of other churches too!

About 20% of the population of the UAE is Christian. They are free to worship. The only things that are forbidden are to proselytize, convert from Islam, or for a Musim woman to marry a Christian.

Thanks for the info and even though a bit off topic, it is allowed for a muslim man to marry a christian woman, correct?

So Queen Sofia will do the usual Easter concert again tonight, but I guess the long standing tradition of the SRF spending time and attending mass is dead.

:previous:
Queen Sofia and Princess Irene are present.

Video:

Last edited:
A few more photos from the concert for Holy Week at Palma de Mallorca Cathedral.
PPE Agency

Sofia will return from Wales tomorrow, same for Leonor. She will travel by military helicopter from the base. I imagine the grandmother wants to see the girls too so lets see if the family will surface somewhere.

I can't see any reunion on Palma as that Easter tradition has been abandoned.

According to what I read in the Spanish press, King Felipe, Queen Letizia, the Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía should appear somewhere in the next few days, probably in Madrid.

According to what I read in the Spanish press, King Felipe, Queen Letizia, the Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía should appear somewhere in the next few days, probably in Madrid.
Well they live in Madrid so that's hardly a revelation!

For years it didn't make much sense for them to only go there for one day to take a photo (with the expenses that it also entailed) and only because of Sofia's determination to continue spending the holidays there when the rest of the family didn't go to Mallorca.

Covid first, and the Welsh holiday calendar that is not the same as in Madrid were the reasons. Infanta Sofía arrives in Madrid tonight and will be on vacation until the 7th, but in Madrid on Tuesday the 2nd her parents return to work and her friends to school, so it is normal that she now and Leonor before preferred to spend these days in Madrid with family and friends.

The Easter Break was always a short one ,the family would arrive bit by bit ,some Good Friday and others on Holiday Saturday .Mass on Easter Sunday and were all gone by Easter Monday!
I wonder if the king will next give up the rarely used Marivent Royal Residence!

The Easter Break was always a short one ,the family would arrive bit by bit ,some Good Friday and others on Holiday Saturday .Mass on Easter Sunday and were all gone by Easter Monday!
I wonder if the king will next give up the rarely used Marivent Royal Residence!
They have always had a full week of Easter holidays, but for many years only Sofía went that week, and the rest arrived on Friday or Saturday, on Sunday they took the photo and that same day they returned to Madrid.

Marivent is not officially a Royal Residence, but is a residence of the Government of the Balearic Islands. Probably when Sofía stops using it, modifications will be made to the agreement between the Royal House and the Balearic Government. It would not be strange if Marivent opened to the public and the King and Queen continued using Son Vent as they do now.

2019 I think after the Easter Day Mass clash of the queens!
The clash of the Queens was in 2018, they all went back in 2019 (minus King Emeritus). After that, pandemic, and then they started to appear locally in Madrid, at a refugee center (2022) and attending The Passion performance (2023).

Today, Queen Sofia, Infanta Cristina and Princess Irene in the Christ of the Alabarderos procession.

The queen emeritus received the Christ of the Halberdiers medal at the Royal Palace, in an event in which she was accompanied by her daughter and Princess Irene.

Queen Sofía and Infanta Cristina will dine at the Casa Ciriaco restaurant.

Last edited:
King Felipe, Queen Letizia, Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofía attend the Encuentro procession in Madrid

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom