Death and Funeral of the Duke of Suárez: March 24 and 31, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
The first president of Democracy, Adolfo Suárez González, died today in Madrid.

Muere Adolfo Su?rez, principal art?fice de la Transici?n espa?ola - ABC.es

Traductor de Google

Photos

Adolfo Su?rez, una vida ligada a personalidades de la pol?tica y la cultura - Espa?a - abc.es
Adolfo Suárez (1932 - 2014) | Especiales | elmundo.es

The King will give in the next few minutes an institutional message. The Royal Family will participate in events in memory of Suarez.

His last photo with the king

http://elpanorama.himgs.com/imagene...8852/original/adolfosuarez-rey.jpg?1395421099

Last edited:
Rest in peace :sad:

He was such an awesome man. It pains me so much seeing how so many people of my age don´t even know (or don´t care about) who Suarez was.

I didn´t live the Transicion times, fortunately for me I was born into Democracy, but it´s a thing from another world listening my parents, that are usually not very fond of politicians in general terms, speaking with genuine respect and admiration about this man.

For me, he was a symbol of what politics can do in favour of a country and its people. It´s so inspirational seeing a man who was able to put aside his personal convictions to built a whole democratic system, and making a whole country walk together with a common goal.

You will be missed, Mr President.

I am old enough to remember a bit of the Franco time and virtually all the Transition period.

All I can say to Adolfo Suarez is: Thank you, for everything.

Two great politicians (Iñaki Azkuna and Adolfo Suarez) have left us in such a short period of time, seems like the rest aren't fit to tie their shoelaces, the last few good men standing :(

May he rest in peace,his last few years were very tough having lost both his wife & daughter whilst also suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

As per Wikipedia,his eldest son has inherited the Dukedom and is now the 2nd Duke of Suárez.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Su%C3%A1rez

Coat of Arms of the Duke of Suárez

200px-Coat_of_arms_of_Adolfo%2C_First_Duke_of_Su%C3%A1rez.svg.png

Last edited:
May he rest in peace,his last few years were very tough having lost both his wife & daughter whilst also suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

Someone said a very sad thing about AS: he was one of the greatest men in Spain's modern history, but he was unable to remember what he did :sad:

Someone said a very sad thing about AS: he was one of the greatest men in Spain's modern history, but he was unable to remember what he did :sad:

Yes I did read that last night how terribly sad,the King obviously held him in great regard as did many Spaniards.

Yes I did read that last night how terribly sad,the King obviously held him in great regard as did many Spaniards.

I'm 44 years old and I remember the Transition years in my childhood/adolescence (I was 12 years old at the 23F for example) and I've always had a great opinion of Suarez, one of the few Spanish politicans that did right by us, sadly our political class is filled with crooks everywhere and we're honestly very jaded about that.

Judging at the Lying in State Ceremony above he was very much beloved,the King had the grand collar of the Royal and Distinguished Spanish Order of Carlos III placed at the foot of the coffin.The King posthumously bestowed the late Duke with the Collar of the Order of Carlos III,having previously being awarded with the The Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III.The late Duke was also a Knight of the Golden Fleece since 2007.

http://www.hola.com/noticias-de-actualidad/24-03-2014/107174/casasreales/

Last edited:
T.M.The King & Queen + HRH The Infanta Elena arrive at the Lying in State.

PPE

PPE Agency

The King and the Queen of the Belgians cancelled their Visit to Spain as it is the day of his Funerals.

Thank you to all who have provided videos and photos for this story.

To our Spanish posters, is the funeral taking place today or another day this week?

Back
Top Bottom