Death & Funeral of Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart, 18th Duchess of Alba: Nov 20+21, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh this is terribly sad news - I do not think there will ever be another lady like her in Spain or elsewhere. She was extraordinary, unique, unusual - all the words that sum up one: Cayetana.
Absolutely. She was unique, one of a kind. The feeling today in Spain is that, with her, a whole era has died.

She will be missed indeed, but I still don't think is such a sad news. I mean, look at it: she has died at 88, at her gorgeous old sevillian palace, sorrounded by her big family and her young husband that quite probably gave her happiness during her last years, and above all after living a long, intense and impressive life. Since all we are going to die someday, this is the kind of death I guess most of us would choose if we could ;)

RIP, Cayetana. I'm sure no one will ever take your place on people's heart.

Last edited:
I've read Infanta Elena will attend the funeral mass tomorrow in Seville representing the RF.

In the Church , her new Husband was sitting first next to the future Duke d' Alba.

She will be missed indeed, but I still don't think is such a sad news. I mean, look at it: she has died at 88, at her gorgeous old sevillian palace, sorrounded by her big family and her young husband that quite probably gave her happiness during her last years, and above all after living a long, intense and impressive life. Since all we are going to die someday, this is the kind of death I guess most of us would choose if we could ;)

RIP, Cayetana. I'm sure no one will ever take your place on people's heart.

you are very right in what you said. I agree 100% with you. She lived the way she wanted, and I'm sure she died the way she wanted.

The Duchess had an extraordinary life, may she rest in peace. It was clear that she only went home to die there surrounded by her family.

yes, she did have an amazing life. i don't think very many people said they lived freely of any strings, but she did. and what an amazing way to live that is!

she had been in hospital for a few days, so i guess she returned home when the situation clearly worsened as her last wish, to die in the comfort of her own beautiful palace, surrounded by her loved ones, in the city she loved most.

she was truly a lady. i read in one of the orbituaries how often people defined her as a person who loved people, not by what they had, but what they were about. in such a snobbish world, i think this is commandable. and so humble! often she'd be reminded by the press about her having more blue blood than any queen. she'd refuse and say that she wouldn't stop curtsying to any queen because of that (coming from the lady with 48 titles!).

i'm annoyed by the way the press is portraying her as a "rebel noble" or as an excentric aristo-cool. this is by no means the most exact way to portray her. she knew what nobility meant, she was not dumb and she knew what aristocracy is all about than anyone else.

I didn't expect to hear this at all, may she RIP. :sad: It seems that all the people who I thought would live for ever have passed away this year (Robbie Williams, the Duchess of Devonshire and now the Duchess of Alba). Do we know who will get the most of her inheritance? Will it pass down to her son as the new Duke of Alba, or will some go to her husband and other children?

I contracted pneumonia twice when I was a toddler and as a result had to be hospitalised, though I can't remember it that well. Even now, I'm still prone to chest infections because of it, though the last one I had was in 2010.

I'm surprised that the funeral will take place so soon after the Duchess's death. Is this common practice in Spain? I've heard that in the past, it was common in hotter countries (and I know it's a tradition in Islam and Judaism too). I had suspected that a member of the SRF would attend, but was surprised to hear that it won't be from either King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia or King Felipe and Queen Letizia.

A remarkable lady: may she rest in peace.
Respectful condolences to those who cared for her.

The historical heritage of the House of Alba is on a foundation, and the control passes to the eldest son, Carlos.

Fundación casa de alba

Some private possessions of the Duchess were distributed among her children, as a condition for accepting the marriage with Alfonso Díez.

The Duchess has given nobility titles to all her children. Carlos will inherit the titles linked historically to the House of Alba, and her second son Alfonso already has the titles of the House of Hijar (belonging to the maternal grandfather of the duchess, at Cayetana's death he established to separate them from the House of Alba).

Reading about the Duchess of Alba's death earlier while roaming around websites, I found it interesting that it was noted that she was also in the Guinness Book of Records for having the longest noble title.

Not only that but that she was also a relation to Winston Churchill and that as a child, while living in London, one of her playmates was Queen Elizabeth II.

A very remarkable lady. Anyone, who at 85, that can kick off her shoes and dance a flamenco dance at her wedding is top rate in my book. :D

I'm surprised that the funeral will take place so soon after the Duchess's death. Is this common practice in Spain? I've heard that in the past, it was common in hotter countries (and I know it's a tradition in Islam and Judaism too). I had suspected that a member of the SRF would attend, but was surprised to hear that it won't be from either King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia or King Felipe and Queen Letizia.

Funerals in Ireland normally take place 2 or 3 days after the death,perhaps its a RC custom.

I hope to see Mantillas tomorrow in honour of the very unique Duchess of Alba.

:previous:
Infanta Elena is said to represent the Spanish royal family. I shall be surprised if King Felipe and his spouse attend.

I would expect the Dowager Queen Sofia to go to the funeral. Hopefully several of the SRF will go to honor/celebrate her interesting life .

This is quite a surprise. I knew of course that she was aged but she always seemed so vital, with more energy and zest than many people less than half her age. I am glad for her sake and for the sake of her family and friends that there was not a long drawn out illness and I hope she did not suffer much.

She was such a lovely woman in her youth. It always made me feel sad and puzzled to see the effect of multiple cosmetic surgeries on her features.:sad:

May she rest in peace.

A truly amazing lady who lived life on her terms. I have never read of anyone living life to the fullest in a man's world the way she did and she topped them all and continued on with her life...........RIP beautiful lady.

:previous:
Infanta Elena is said to represent the Spanish royal family. I shall be surprised if King Felipe and his spouse attend.

does anyone know why the SRF wouldn't attend? elena is not even a member of the SRF any longer.

yes, funerals in spain take place earlier than they do in anglo saxon countries from my experience. however, i believe what is now taking place is the wake, where the coffin is presented for people to pay their last respects, and the funeral will most likely take place in the next couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom