Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-21-2014, 02:02 AM
Nobility

Sad news , rest in peace dear duchess

Old 11-21-2014, 03:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post

I'm surprised that the funeral will take place so soon after the Duchess's death. Is this common practice in Spain? I've heard that in the past, it was common in hotter countries (and I know it's a tradition in Islam and Judaism too). I had suspected that a member of the SRF would attend, but was surprised to hear that it won't be from either King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia or King Felipe and Queen Letizia.
yes, funerals in spain take place earlier than they do in anglo saxon countries from my experience. however, i believe what is now taking place is the wake, where the coffin is presented for people to pay their last respects, and the funeral will most likely take place in the next couple of days.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-21-2014, 05:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I would expect the Dowager Queen Sofia to go to the funeral. Hopefully several of the SRF will go to honor/celebrate her interesting life .
Last time I checked, King Juan Carlos is alive. Even though the King abdicated, they both kept their titles
Old 11-21-2014, 05:06 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
does anyone know why the SRF wouldn't attend? elena is not even a member of the SRF any longer.
I'm just guessing here but I would presume that Elena is going as a representative of the family. It is not going to be a state funeral. Perhaps the King and Queen of Spain are similar to their British counterparts in the regard that Queen Elizabeth does not attend funerals (save for members of her own family) but sends a representative.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-21-2014, 05:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The family have always been loyal to the monarchy, I don't want to sound disrespectful but I think I think the Duchess deserves better than Elena when it comes to her funeral.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The family have always been loyal to the monarchy, I don't want to sound disrespectful but I think I think the Duchess deserves better than Elena when it comes to her funeral.
I agree with you, I was expecting at least Queen Sofia to attend. Yesterday she was still in Greece, opening a El Greco exhibition in Athens, I saw her very closely, but she has pleinty of time to reach Seville this morning.

I have always herad that the KJC & QS were very close to the Alba family, and that during the Franco years the Alba family was very supporting to the then young Prince JC and his family. So IMO both JC & S should attend, more that the now King which belongs to another generation.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
does anyone know why the SRF wouldn't attend? elena is not even a member of the SRF any longer.
I'm guessing that Queen Sofia will be attending the Nuevo Futuro with Infanta Pilar in Madrid and that can't be changed.The King has official acts and Queen Letizia will be just back from her visit to Rome.

I'm not sure if King Juan Carlos was close to the Alba family,I know his wife and sisters were.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Nuevo Futuro is quite unimportant compared to the event of the funeral. In some years Sofia hasnt attened Nuevo Futuro at all, and she can go whenever she wants, its not an event on a specific day.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I would expect the Dowager Queen Sofia to go to the funeral. Hopefully several of the SRF will go to honor/celebrate her interesting life .
Sorry, why "dowager" queen Sofia?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Is it any live coverage link? It should start now, I read 12.00 hrs.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Nuevo Futuro is quite unimportant compared to the event of the funeral. In some years Sofia hasnt attened Nuevo Futuro at all, and she can go whenever she wants, its not an event on a specific day.
Personally I'd like to have seen Queen Sofia at the funeral and maybe with the Infantas Elena, Pilar and Margarita as they were all close to late Duchess of Alba.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

The funeral on line

+24, canal 24h en directo y multicámara - RTVE.es
Old 11-21-2014, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Nice photo of the Infanta Elena,Duchess of Lugo and The late Duchess of Alba taken in October 2013.

La Infanta Elena saludando a la Duquesa de Alba en un torneo hípico en Sevilla: Fotos en Bekia
Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 AM
Royal Highness

Duquesa de Alba: La infanta Elena preside el último adiós por la Duquesa de Alba en representación del Rey
Old 11-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Funeral Mass at Seville Cathedral

Belga

Belga Image - Editorial

Hola

http://www.hola.com/actualidad/20141...infanta-elena/

Getty Images

http://www.gettyimages.ie/Search/Sea...ille+Cathedral
Old 11-21-2014, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Who are the gentleman and lady sitting on the right side of the late Duchess Husband ?
Old 11-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Who are the gentleman and lady sitting on the right side of the late Duchess Husband ?
I thought the first son of the actual Duke of Alba (Ducessa's first son) and maybe the ex-wife of the Duke (mum of the new hereditary Duke of Alba), but I might ber wrong, but this is the logical order.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
The Duke of Noto and Cristina de Borbón -Dos Sicilias, children of Infanta Carlos de Borbón-Dos Sicilias.

Photos

Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España - Actividades y Agenda - Asistencia de Su Alteza Real la Infanta Doña Elena al funeral por Doña María del Rosario Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart y Silva, duquesa de Alba de Tormes

La despedida de la duquesa de Alba - La catedral de Sevilla acoge el funeral de la... | Loc | EL MUNDO

Los nietos entran en la catedral con el féretro de su abuela |*Emotivo funeral de la duquesa de Alba en la Catedral de Sevilla
Old 11-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Serene Highness

The Duchess announced just before she married that her husband would receive none of her estate. Her will was shown and her estate was divided between her six children.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Lula, I thought it was the daughter of Anne de France .

Tags
alba, death, duchess of alba, funeral, nobility, spanish nobility