The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Weddings: Non-Reigning Houses & Nobility

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
When I was in Germany, I saw a report of the wedding on the news. The location looked very regal and beautiful.

They showed an interview with Duke Franz, the bride's uncle, and he seemed very pleased and charming.

I wouldn't necessarily call the Bavarian Royal House a minor royal, but non-reigning. They have a history that goes back as far as the Hapsburgs and in the Middle Ages they were considered more powerful than the Hapsburgs. For awhile Bavarian duchesses were very prized brides of the largest houses in Europe.
Until 1918 they were on reigned one of the four Kingdoms in Germany. And the reigned in bavaria for 700 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybelline View Post
You are right. There are at least two Bavarian princesses marrying kings (or future kings) of France for example: Isabella of Bavaria married Charles VI in 1385, and Maria Christina of Bavaria married the heir of Louis XIV in 1680.
There where many more.
From the daughters of King Maximilian I. Joseph:
his oldest daughter Charlotte Auguste (Later karoline Auguste) she married first the future King Wilhelm I. of Württemberg but the marriage was divorced in 1814, secondly she married as his fourth wife Emperor Franz I. of Austria
Elisabeth (12801-1873) married King Friedrich Wilhelm IV. of Prussia
Amalie (1801-1877) married King Johann of Saxony
Marie (1805-1877) married King Friedrich August II. of Saxony
Sophie (1805-1872) married Achduke Franz Karl of Austria and was the mother of Emperor Franz Joseph I.

From the ducal line
Elisabeth (1837-1898) married Emperor Franz Joseph I. of Austria
her niece Elisabeth (1876-1965) married King Albert I. of the Belgians
Marie (1841-1925)married King Francesco II. of the Two Sicilies
Marie Gabrielle (1878-1912) married the future Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent

About marriages:
a little genealogy trees
- von Wittelsbach
- Bavarian Royal Family

Old 09-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Thanks stefan and magnik. I didn't know that Elisabeth of Belgium was the niece of Elisabeth of Austria. They don't seem to have looked a thing alike.

Going back to weddings, wasn't the Oktoberfest in Munich originally part of the celebrations for a royal Bavarian wedding? I remember reading the original plans included a hunting party for the aristocrats and the common people wanted a celebration too so the King decreed a beer festival to take place so long as the vendors would not be allowed to sell food. It seems an excuse for public drunkenness but perhaps that discussion is for another thread.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes. The first OF took place on 1810 from 12 to 17 October for the commemoration of the marriage of CP Ludwig (Ludwig I and uncle of the Empress Elisabeth "Sissi") and Princess Therese of Saxe-Altenburg, Duchess of Sachsen.
Oktoberfest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Thanks magnik. Its curious the Wikipedia article doesn't mention the hunting party though.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Thanks magnik. Its curious the Wikipedia article doesn't mention the hunting party though.
Try on external links there
Old 09-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Link to SeegerPress gallery:
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/see...ia+Anna&last=0
Old 09-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Anyone know anything about her wedding gown?
I mean for what was it made? How long is a train? etc.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa M. View Post
If you search for "Hochzeit Bayern" you will get a bigger selection also pictures from the Wedding Guests

Royal Travel and Events

Old 04-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Commoner

Looks like Mary's wedding gown
Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Aristocracy

hmmm The dress is quite a copy of Mary's.

Tags
dr. klaus runow, marie-anna of bavaria, princess marie-anna