Princess Alexia of Greece & Carlos Morales Quintana: 9 July 1999

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kelly9480 said:
Oh, I don't pay any attention to Alexia and Carlos. That's just what Greeks have told me -- that she insisted he convert as part of the marriage agreement, but I don't read Greek, so I'd have no way of knowing whether they're correct.

If you look at lists of the British succession to the throne, which excludes Catholics and those who married Catholics, you will see that Alexia and her children are all excluded (she has a claim through her great-grandmother Margaret of Connaught). Line of succession to the British Throne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (how reliable is Wikipedia, though?)

This leads me to believe that Carlos remained Catholic, and that the children are being raised as Catholics.

Does anyone have any further info?

The children are not neccessarily being raised Catholic, as it is tradition that the children take the religion of the mother. However, have we seen the christening of any of these children?

If the claim to the British throne is through the mother, and the mother is excluded because of a dis alloed marriage (in this case to a catholic) then the children would automatically loose their rights, in fact they would never have had them, since Alexia lost her rights upon her marriage, and they could only claim through their mother.

I would imagine that the children are being raised conscious of both religions, but my guess is that their primary religion would be Greek Orthodox. Given that the mother is a member of the royal family, and has such a high profile, that would make sense. Also, it is possible that the children are being reaised with knowledge of both, and will be able to choose once they are older. There is a precedence for that in recent times with the RF of NL, as well.

When a person converts to Catholicism or marries a Catholic, it doesn't affect his or her children's position in the line of succession; it's only when they also convert that they lose their right to succeed to the throne. The Earl of St Andrews (Duke of Kent's son) lost his right of succession when he married a Catholic but it didn't affect his children. The eldest child (Baron Downpatrick) has been received into the Catholic church so is no longer in the line of succession, but his younger sisters (Lady Marina-Charlotte and Lady Amelia Windsor) are still in the line of succession.

Okay - Thank you for the information. But I can not find any information on the christenings of these children. I guess it might be sensible then, to assume that they are christened in the RC church until other information comes along.

Princess Alexia looked wonderfully happy in these pics. I think that it was a love wedding...Sadly we don't have too much info about this couple...

Vanesa.

Christening of Carlos @ Church of Nuestra Se?ora de los Remedios in Lanzarote, Spain.

The Greek Royal Family - News & Media

Also, it seems from reports like the kids are baptised in dual Roman Catholic / Greek Orthodox ceremonies: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f77/christening-carlos-morales-7934-5.html (scroll down to Message 84). I guess the British establishment in charge of who is on the list for succession to the throne is taking the position that the children were baptised by Catholic rites sufficient enough to exclude them from the list.

The children have been baptized and chrismated into the Orthodox faith, but at a Catholic church, apparently because Lanzarote lacks Orthodox facilities. The Orthodox faith requires the children of a mixed marriage to be Orthodox or she risks remaining in good standing.

Today is a special day for Alexia and Carlos, they play 10 years of marriage ...

I've found the official photo with the relatives and guests from that wedding.

Imageshack - bod1

Imageshack - bod2

The picture has two parts

He was such a cute little baby! Infanta Elena had quite the hat. It took me a few minutes to figure out who was underneath that hat!

Does anyone have photos of Marie Chantal's family at this wedding? Esp the pre-wedding ball? Her mother was beautifully turned out in a picture I once saw and I'd love to see a photo of Pia at the wedding. Anyone?

I hated her dress.I like that she went for simple but the fabric looked cheap.

Seeing these wedding pictures I feel sad for Infantas Elena and Cristina.

maria-olivia, Why do you feel sad for Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina?

Because they did not know at that moment what will happen later in their lifes.

And does Alexia know what will happen in her life in for example five or ten years? No, she doesn't; no one of us knows that.

A Divorce for Infanta Elena , the NOOS affair for the Infanta Christina.
Nothing of this happens in Princess Alexia's life.

Lovely couple. I really liked Theodora's dress as bridesmaid and the flower girls were cute as well. Alexia's dress unfortunately wasn't up to par to her bridal party.

Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark and Carlos Morales Quintana are celebrating twenty years of marriage:

https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot.com/2019/07/twenty-years-of-marriage-for-princess.html

I don't want to sound mean but, the female guests look exactly as female guests at royal weddings dressed 20 years on. I mean, the dresses look exactly like the clothes at the last several royal weddings, including those in England. It's just that none of these ladies have any style and, if I didn't know those photos were from 20 years ago, I would think they were from the most recent weddings in Britain or Germany.

Anyway, congrats to Alexia and Carlos for 20 years of marriage and four children.

Video of the wedding of Princess Alexia and Carlos Morales.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom