The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Weddings: Non-Reigning Houses & Nobility

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2005, 06:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
this wedding had many royal guests

where did they get married and where was the parties held
Princess Alexia of Greece and Carlos Morales Quintana were married at the Greek Orthodox Church of St. Sophia at Bayswater London on July 9, 1999. The reception was at Kenwood House.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

could anyone tell me more about Carlos? about the only thing that I know about him is that he is Spanish. what does he do for a living? What sort of family is he from? did he become Greek Orthodox to marry Alexia?

Old 06-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
could anyone tell me more about Carlos? about the only thing that I know about him is that he is Spanish. what does he do for a living? What sort of family is he from? did he become Greek Orthodox to marry Alexia?
I don't know very much about Carlos but I kept these details in mind. I hope it helps. If anyone finds any mistake please say so...

Carlos Morales was born in Arrecife de Lanzarote where he started his studies. In 1990 Carlos moved to Barcelona where he shared his studies of Architecture with his sport passion - Sailing.
In 1998 he obtained his degree with great classification. Since finishing his course he started working at an architect study in Barcelona, where he met Princess Alexia of Greece.

He is from a middle class family. He has 3 brothers and 1 sister.

He did not convert to Orthodox Religion. He didn't have too. He could have chosen to married for the two rites but he preferred to have just the Orthodox wedding.

Regards,
mtbcm :)
Old 06-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

{removed response to deleted posts - Elspeth}

I have to say that Alexia's wedding dress was not my cup of tea. That kind of dress doesn't fit the complexion of women like her, who hasn't small hips. I think she would do much better, if she chose a dress with a not so tigh belly area...
The one she took to the pre-wedding gala, for example, was much more flattering.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Courtier

Some comments

Honeymoon wasn´t in Fidschi but in New Zealand. Carlos hat got THREE brothers and one sister. He was born in December 1970 so he´s almost six years Alexia´s junior.
Can´t help but his bathing pants were simply horrible.
Agree with the taste of Alexia´s wedding dress. She could have done much better. I was very disappointed when I saw this dress the first time. Also the hairdoo and the fixing of the vail and trail were clumsy and not nice.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa M.
I have to say that Alexia's wedding dress was not my cup of tea. That kind of dress doesn't fit the complexion of women like her, who hasn't small hips. I think she would do much better, if she chose a dress with a not so tigh belly area...
The one she took to the pre-wedding gala, for example, was much more flattering.

I think I understand what you're saying about Alexia dress. But she had that Million Dollars look of happiness and serenity that wheh I see someone mentioning her dress I have to double check . I honestly liked to see her on her wedding day... Of course the credits aren't going for the dress but I don't agree with Stefanie, I saw nothing clumsy on Alexia on her wedding day.

But you are absolutely right about pre-wedding gala, she was very elegant and beautiful - it is the second bride in my life as a royal watcher that this phenomenon happens - the bride was so beautiful on the day before and somehow couldn't surpass that impression on the wedding day :).

Regards,
mtbcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie
Honeymoon wasn´t in Fidschi but in New Zealand.
Thank you for correcting it, I took the comment from Hola magazine that mentioned Fidji Islands.

Regards,
Old 06-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbcm
He did not convert to Orthodox Religion. He didn't have too. He could have chosen to married for the two rites but he preferred to have just the Orthodox wedding.
Everything I have ever read says that he converted before the wedding, in addition to agreeing the children would be Orthodox.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
Everything I have ever read says that he converted before the wedding, in addition to agreeing the children would be Orthodox.
I read a wonderful interview of Carlos' parents after the wedding, in Hola, saying that his son didn't convert to Orthodox Religion. I haven't got the article with me right now but I will post that part later... it was a great article where they described their son and Alexia's, the way he told his parents and brothers about the princess, how parents felt at the wedding, how they see Alexia... when I have time I'll post it.

Regards,
Old 06-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbcm
I read a wonderful interview of Carlos' parents after the wedding, in Hola, saying that his son didn't convert to Orthodox Religion.
Oh, I don't pay any attention to Alexia and Carlos. That's just what Greeks have told me -- that she insisted he convert as part of the marriage agreement, but I don't read Greek, so I'd have no way of knowing whether they're correct.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Commoner

any photos of the Miller family during the Pre-wedding Ball?
TIA
Old 06-11-2007, 05:22 AM
Courtier

A video of the wedding from YouTube:

Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
Oh, I don't pay any attention to Alexia and Carlos. That's just what Greeks have told me -- that she insisted he convert as part of the marriage agreement, but I don't read Greek, so I'd have no way of knowing whether they're correct.
If you look at lists of the British succession to the throne, which excludes Catholics and those who married Catholics, you will see that Alexia and her children are all excluded (she has a claim through her great-grandmother Margaret of Connaught). Line of succession to the British Throne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (how reliable is Wikipedia, though?)

This leads me to believe that Carlos remained Catholic, and that the children are being raised as Catholics.

Does anyone have any further info?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

The children are not neccessarily being raised Catholic, as it is tradition that the children take the religion of the mother. However, have we seen the christening of any of these children?

If the claim to the British throne is through the mother, and the mother is excluded because of a dis alloed marriage (in this case to a catholic) then the children would automatically loose their rights, in fact they would never have had them, since Alexia lost her rights upon her marriage, and they could only claim through their mother.

I would imagine that the children are being raised conscious of both religions, but my guess is that their primary religion would be Greek Orthodox. Given that the mother is a member of the royal family, and has such a high profile, that would make sense. Also, it is possible that the children are being reaised with knowledge of both, and will be able to choose once they are older. There is a precedence for that in recent times with the RF of NL, as well.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

When a person converts to Catholicism or marries a Catholic, it doesn't affect his or her children's position in the line of succession; it's only when they also convert that they lose their right to succeed to the throne. The Earl of St Andrews (Duke of Kent's son) lost his right of succession when he married a Catholic but it didn't affect his children. The eldest child (Baron Downpatrick) has been received into the Catholic church so is no longer in the line of succession, but his younger sisters (Lady Marina-Charlotte and Lady Amelia Windsor) are still in the line of succession.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Okay - Thank you for the information. But I can not find any information on the christenings of these children. I guess it might be sensible then, to assume that they are christened in the RC church until other information comes along.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Princess Alexia looked wonderfully happy in these pics. I think that it was a love wedding...Sadly we don't have too much info about this couple...

Vanesa.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Nobility

Christening of Carlos @ Church of Nuestra Se?ora de los Remedios in Lanzarote, Spain.

The Greek Royal Family - News & Media

Also, it seems from reports like the kids are baptised in dual Roman Catholic / Greek Orthodox ceremonies: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...es-7934-5.html (scroll down to Message 84). I guess the British establishment in charge of who is on the list for succession to the throne is taking the position that the children were baptised by Catholic rites sufficient enough to exclude them from the list.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Courtier

The children have been baptized and chrismated into the Orthodox faith, but at a Catholic church, apparently because Lanzarote lacks Orthodox facilities. The Orthodox faith requires the children of a mixed marriage to be Orthodox or she risks remaining in good standing.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Serene Highness

Today is a special day for Alexia and Carlos, they play 10 years of marriage ...

I've found the official photo with the relatives and guests from that wedding.

Imageshack - bod1

Imageshack - bod2

The picture has two parts
Old 07-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Serene Highness

Other pictures:

Imageshack - bod3001
Imageshack - bod3002
Imageshack - bod3003
Imageshack - bod3004
Imageshack - bod3005
Imageshack - bod3006

two very special congratulations, Queen Ingrid of Denmark, her grandmother and Queen of England
Imageshack - bod3a
Imageshack - bod3001z