Prince Henri of France and Duchess Marie-Therese of Württemberg - 1957

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
On 5 July 1957 Prince Henri of France (Orleans) married Duchess Marie-Therese of Württemberg at Dreux (France). LIFE! has some pictures available that can be used for non-commercial purposes.

The bride

The bridal couple 1

The bridal couple 2

The crowd

Courtesy: Chris at the RWMB

Last edited:
The woman with King Humberto is Frederika , Queen of Greece. Behind him Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain.

It seems that this very day was the Comte de Paris's most beautiful day of his life !

And the one in "priceless" pic3? (really priceless!!)

Yes it is GD Jean and on his left his wife Josephine Charlotte .
What is funny is that Georgina de Liechtenstein who was the Princess of Liechtenstein stands higher than Beatrix , Jean and his wife who at that moment were only Crown Princes !

And who's the man between Gina and Beatrix?

I think that Georgina is standing on a platform or something - was she one of the witnesses for the wedding?

Picture 2: Looks like GD Jean of Lexembourg next to Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands - and on the far right (in profile) Princess Georgina of Liectenstein

Picture 3: Priceless!!!
Who is that in picture 3? The Comtesse de Paris?
Anyone know why the couple divorced?

I think that Georgina is standing on a platform or something - was she one of the witnesses for the wedding?
No, the witnesses were King Pavlos of Greece, Duke Ludwig of Wurttemberg, Duke Carl of Wurttemberg and King Umberto II of Italy.

Who is that in picture 3? The Comtesse de Paris?
Anyone know why the couple divorced?

The Comte left his Wife and children in 1977 and then the marriage was judically separated and they where divorced inn 1984.He said he was pressured by his father in the marriage. Because of this he was disinherited by his father and given the lesser title Comte de Mortain. But around 1991 the reconciled and the late Comte de Paris gave Henri's second wife Micaela the Title Princesse de Joinville. His former daughter-in-law he had given the Title Duchess of Montpensier after the divorce. Not sure but i believe the marriage was never annulled by the Vatican.

Last edited:
The Comte left his Wife and children in 1977 and then the marriage was judically separated and they where divorced inn 1984.He said he was pressured by his father in the marriage. Because of this was he was disinherited by his father and given the lesser title Comte de Mortain. But around 1991 the reconciled and the late Comte de Paris gave Henri's second wife Micaela the Title Princesse de Joinville. His former daughter-in-law he had given the Title Duchess of Montpensier after the divorce. Not sure but i believe the marriage was never annuklled by the Vatican.
Thanks, Stefan. I always got the sense that it was a dynastic match of young royals, probably encouraged by their parents. I also feel that about the Comte's sister Claude's marriage to the Duke of Aosta.

Pic 2 Mafan , I think the Prince of Liechtenstein , but why is he not standing on the platform ?? Behind Beatrix , Thereza the sister of the Comtesse de Paris.
Funny these old pics ... Pic 3, it is certainly not the comtesse de Paris.

Pic 2 Mafan , I think the Prince of Liechtenstein , but why is he not standing on the platform ?? Behind Beatrix , Thereza the sister of the Comtesse de Paris.
Funny these old pics ... Pic 3, it is certainly not the comtesse de Paris.
No, he is not Prince Franz Joseph...

A beautiful bridge; I like her dress and veil very much.

Does anybody know which tiara the bride is wearing. Is it the same one that was worn by her niece Dss Eleonore of Wüttemberg when she married Ct. Möritz von der Goess?

Does anybody know which tiara the bride is wearing. Is it the same one that was worn by her niece Dss Eleonore of Wüttemberg when she married Ct. Möritz von der Goess?

Yes it is. It was also worn by her sisters Helene and Elisabeth on her Wedding days and Princess Marie of Wied wore it on the pre-Wedding Ball.

Last edited:
The pictures of the wedding of Henri and Marie-Thérèse on july 1957 are absolutely
great. I can imagine the Princess wearing this 85 m wedding dress, a veil before her face , and outside it was 33 °..
I am guiding in Brussels an exhibition : "du new look (Ch Dior) à l'expo 58". The dress that the at that moment the heditary Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte is wearing is absolutely like the dresses at the exhibition . I will show the picture because it is our Princess wearing the "new look" with dress , hat, gloves .. thanks for the picture!

Back
Top Bottom