Prince David Bagration-Mukhransky and Princess Anna Bagration-Gruzinsky, 8 Feb 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone have any more back information on the couple? Or perhaps, how distantly related they are?
Here you go:
Bagration/Imeretinsky

relationships:
ancestors Relationship

by marriage Relationship

About this marriage:
Prince Nugzar's daughter, Princess Anna, a divorced teacher and journalist with two daughters, married Prince David Bagration of Mukhrani, on 8 February 2009 at the Tbilisi Sameba Cathedral.[24] The marriage united the Gruzinsky and Mukhrani branches of the Georgian royal family, and drew a crowd of 3,000 spectators, officials, and foreign diplomats, as well as extensive coverage by the Georgian media.[25]
The dynastic significance of the wedding lay in the fact that, amidst the turmoil in political partisanship that has roiled Georgia since its independence in 1991, Patriarch Ilia II of Georgia publicly called for restoration of the monarchy as a path toward national unity in October 2007.[26] Although this led some politicians and parties to entertain the notion of a Georgian constitutional monarchy, competition arose among the old dynasty's princes and supporters, as historians and jurists debated which Bagrationi has the strongest hereditary right to a throne that has been vacant for two centuries.[25] Although some Georgian monarchists support the Gruzinsky branch's claim, others support that of the re-patriated Mukhrani branch.[26] Both branches descend in unbroken, legitimate male line from the medieval kings of Georgia down to Constantine II of Georgia who died in 1505.
Whereas the Bagration-Mukhrani were a cadet branch of the former Royal House of Kartli, they became the genealogically seniormost line of the Bagrationi family in the early 20th century: yet the elder branch had lost the rule of Kartli by 1724.
Meanwhile, the Bagration-Gruzinsky line, although junior to the Princes of Mukhrani genealogically, reigned over the kingdom of Kakheti, re-united the two realms in the kingdom of Kartli-Kakheti in 1762, and did not lose sovereignty until Russian annexation in 1800.[27]
The bridegroom is the only member of his branch who retains Georgian citizenship and residence since the death of his father, Prince George Bagration-Mukhrani in 2008.[27] Aside from his unmarried elder brother, Prince David is the heir male of the Bagrationi family, while the bride's father is the most senior descendant of the last Bagrationi to reign over the united kingdom of Georgia. Since Nugzar and Princes Peter and Eugene Bagrationi-Gruzinsky are the last patrilineal males descended from King George XIII, and all three were born before 1950, their branch verges on extinction. But the marriage between Nugzar Gruzinsky's heiress and the Mukhrani heir resolves their rivalry for the claim to the throne, which has divided Georgian monarchists.[27] A son born of this marriage is apt to eventually become both the heir male of the House of Bagrationi and the heir general of George XIII of Georgia.

I have not seen prince David smile,ever,he came not even close.Very depressed young man and it´s something Prozac can´t lift.

In the Belga picture set,pic number 7,he's even calling with whomever on his mobile phone: During the ceremony (!!!!!!!!!) and then
hands the darn thing to his fresh spouse!!??Have you seen that?:eek:

Tell you what,one day with that man and you'll be in need of a holiday on the Bahama's or anything far away from him.These depressing people can drag you right down with 'm too."Happy Honeymoon"!:rolleyes:

Wedding of the two royal dynasties members
09.02.2009 | 12:03

Two members of the two royal dynasties of Georgia: 32-year old David Bagrationi-Mukhraneli and Anna Bagrationi- Gruzinskaya, got married yesterday in Tbilisi.
The wedding ceremony was held yesterday in the Holy Trinity Cathedral, with he blessing of Ilia II, the Catholicos-Patriarch of All Georgia. The patriarch himself couldn't attent the ceremony as on February 4th he left for Germany for treatment.
3 thousand guests: officials and public figures, diplomats accredited in the country, thousands of foreign guests, including Russians, attended the ceremony.
The ceremony took place in the Remembrance Day for the great Tsar David the Builder from the House of Bagrationi, who unified Georgia in the 12th century and let it reach the unsurpassed economic, political and cultural prosperity.
David Bagrationi- Mukhraneli was born and grown up in Spain. In mid 20th century Irakli, his grandfather, was officially recognized as a legal throne aspirant by the emigrant organizations. After Irakli's death his son Georgi became his heir. Georgi has three adult sons and a daughter, and all of them, except David, still live in Spain.
David has been living in Georgia for six years. In 2004 President Saakashvili granted him and his father Georgian citizenship, preserving their Spanish citizenship.
Anna Bagrationi-Gruzinskaya, is the eldest daughter of Nugzar Petrovich Bagrationi-Gruzinsky, the director and theatre expert, the head of the Kakhetian branch of the Bagrationi dynasty and a direct descendant on the male line of the last Georgian Tsar Georgi XII (who reigned from 1798 to 1800). Anna has already been married and has two children. She id a journalist, for several recent years she has been teaching in one of schools of Tbilisi.
The wedding provoked great interest with the advocates of constitutional monarchy restoration. In 2007 Ilia II said he was for constitutional monarchy in the future. According to the Patriach, for more than 200 years the people of Georgia has been dreaming of the restored reign of the oldest dynasty of Bagrationi, whose reign started in the 9th century and was stopped in 1801. The majority of opposition parties support the idea of gradual shift to monarchy, whereas the authority regards it as unreasonable at the present stage of the development of the country.

GeorgiaTimes.info

I presume this was a state wedding.
Why was the Grand Duchess Maria and her son not present ? I suppose that her old mother , born Princess Bragnation, is to old to travel ?

:previous:
In light of the strained relatiohships between Russia and Georgia, Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirona preferred not to anger the Russian government ... in my personal opinion. At the same time, it is difficult to determine what exactly prevented Maria Vladimirovna from attending this wedding.

In the Belga picture set,pic number 7,he's even calling with whomever on his mobile phone: During the ceremony (!!!!!!!!!) and then
hands the darn thing to his fresh spouse!!??Have you seen that?:eek:

If I had to guess, I'd say they were on the mobile with Patriarch Ilia ("the man behind the marriage" :D) who was in Germany for medical reasons and therefore unable to officiate.

Patriarch Ilia II did not officiate ... Is he so ill? I find it strange that Patriarch Ilia II withdrew from the ceremony due to health reasons.

:previous:
Thanks for information! :flowers: I hope that Patriarch Ilia II get well soon. Still it is odd that he was unable to officiate.
I wonder if there were other European royalties present for the wedding
It is hard to tell because there are no photos of the reception. I am sure that Georgian mass media would have informed us about any singificant Royals attending the ceremony. My best guess is that diplomatic corps substituted the European Royal houses.

Video
Rustavi 2

Wedding ceremony of two branches of the Bagrationi dynasty has been held. Horsemen have accompanied the groom from the Darejani Palace to Sameba Cathdral. Several thousand people have attending the ceremony. Three thousand guests have been invited to the wedding of the representatives of the royal family.

Father accompanied groom into the church today. She walked through rows of `Chokhosnebi`. Before the wedding ceremony, Anna Bagration-Gruzinski and Davit Bagration-Mukhraneli received Eucharist at Svetitskhoveli Church of Mtskheta town.

Representativesof the Georgian society consider the marriage as a significant event of historical importance.

`It is a very important day in the life of our country and the Bagrationi dynasty today. The two branches of the Bagrationis who parted from each other long ago, are merging today. This wedding may have a historical significance for our country in the future`, Mariam Lortkipanidze, academician of historical sciences said.

Family members and relatives of the bride hope, the marriage of Bagrationi branches will bring prosperity to Georgia.

The Bagrationi dynasty was the ruling family of Georgia. Their ascendency lasted from the early Middle Ages until the early 19th century.

Why was the Grand Duchess Maria and her son not present ? I suppose that her old mother , born Princess Bragnation, is to old to travel ?

The Grand Duchess Maria was in Russia from 30 Jan to 3 Feb. While in Moscow she attended the installation of Patriarch Kirill (see press release). Grand Duke George works for a living and generally does not take part in royal events. And you are correct, at 94 years of age, Grand Duchess Leonida is in rather frail health and thus abstains from travelling.

However, as FabianJ noted earlier, it does appear that Grand Duchess Leonida's elder daughter Helene Kirby was at the wedding.

It's indeed so strange to see a couple talking on the phone during their wedding... It's the first time in my life I see such a thing haha.

The Princess's dress is lovely.
The Prince is, as lucien said a very serious young man.

I just knew it's the second marriage for the Princess. The eastern Orthodox Church accepts to marry divorced people? or did she ask the annulment of her first marriage?

Princess Anna is a journalist and was working as a teacher.​

... [snipped] I just knew it's the second marriage for the Princess. The eastern Orthodox Church accepts to marry divorced people? or did she ask the annulment of her first marriage?
There is no much information about Princess Anna's first marriage. At the same time, it is worth noting that almost all modern couples have got a religious wedding in a church of their liking and civil ceremony in a municipal registry. Thus, it is possible that Princess Anna had to ask for the annulment of her first marriage. Given the fact that Patriarch Ilia II was personally interested in the marriage between Prince David and Princess Anna, it would fair to presume that the annulment was given without any problems or delays.

his Uncle just Got Married too...

07.03. - Prince Bagrat de Bagration de Baviera y de Borbon married civilly Mrs Françoise Cazaudehore at Saint-Germain-en-Laye, France

The bride looked very pretty in her simple dress and veil. Shame there aren't any better ones of the dress.

Thanks for such amazing compilation of photos!:flowers: The ceremony was wonderful. The reception seemed to have a lot of national dances. The national costumes were impressive as well.
At the same, it is worthy noting that there is a photo of Prince David dancing with a lady in a blue dress. However, there is no a single photo of Prince David dancing with Princess Anna.

It was my pleasure to do so!

I only wish that the couple had lived happily ever after :)king::queen4:) like I originally imagined they would.

I just knew it's the second marriage for the Princess. The eastern Orthodox Church accepts to marry divorced people? or did she ask the annulment of her first marriage?

All the Orthodox Churches ( Georgian, Russian, Greek etc.) accept second and third marriages. In other words you can get married in the church 3 times whether divorced or widowed. You don't need an annulment to get married a second time because the Orthodox Church grants divorces. I must say, they offer a fair number of choices for those you have second thoughts :flowers:.

At the same, it is worthy noting that there is a photo of Prince David dancing with a lady in a blue dress. However, there is no a single photo of Prince David dancing with Princess Anna.

Dear Al bina,

You might be interested to know (since I myself was!) that the lady dancing with Prince David is his sister Maria, who came to the wedding with her young son. Thus, all three of David's siblings (Maria, Irakly, and Ugo) were present, as was his mother. On the bride's side, both her parents were there, as were her two little daughters. I believe that her sister Maya attended too.

Also, to my surprise, I came across another photo album from the wedding that clearing shows David and Anna kissing...on the lips! :wub: So perhaps all the reports were wrong.

Lastly, here is a picture of the wedding cake.

I can't find it again, but I did see a photo where David did have a hint of a smile. She made a lovely bride. It's refreshing to see a wedding that is quite a bit different than usual. May they be happy forever!

Back
Top Bottom