Prince Aimone of Savoy-Aosta and Princess Olga of Greece, September 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I believe because she supports his father as head of and heir to the Italian throne. I am so happy they finally got married. Her dress and head piece is, interesting, but they make a beautiful couple. Wishing them a lifetime of lasting happiness and love.

Was Aimone's stepfather present?

I am sure he was but obviously he was not posing for the official pictures. Actually I do not believe I saw any photos of his father or stepmother in any of the pictures so far.
I have to wait for Point de Vue which arrives on the pony express a month late.........:bang:

and who were the witnesses?

and who were the witnesses?
MAfan, I promise as soon as the Point de Vue comes I will tell you who the "Koumbaros" was. I only saw one picture in the Church and it did not have anyone standing behind them at the time. There was a man's hand holding the crown on picture #3.........LOL
Mind you nothing was mentioned on Greek TV or Greek widely read papers yet.

Princess Olga's wedding dress is different but she still looks pretty and Prince Aimone looks handsome.That is great this two
went through with the wedding and they did it on their own terms.

Attendees
Sito Ufficiale della Real Casa di Savoia - Le nozze delle LL.AA.RR. il Principe Aimone e la Principessa Olga di Savoia

Le nozze delle LL.AA.RR. il Principe Aimone e la Principessa Olga di Savoia sono state benedette il 27 settembre 2008. Rispondono alle patenti, norme e leggi di Casa Savoia. Non avveniva da decenni.
Presenti S.M. la Regina Sofia di Spagna, le LL.MM. il Re Costantino e la Regina Anna Maria di Grecia, i genitori dello sposo S.A.R. il Principe Amedeo di Savoia e S.A.R. la Principessa Claudia di Francia, i genitori della sposa S.A.R. il Principe Michele di Grecia con la consorte Marina, S.A.R. la Principessa Maria Gabriella di Savoia, S.A.R. la Principessa Silvia di Savoia, S.A.R. la Principessa Irene di Grecia, le LL.AA.RR. i Principi Casimiro di Borbone con la Consorte Maria Cristina, figlia dell'Eroe dell'Amba Alagi, la Principessa Bianca di Savoia con il marito Giberto Arrivabene Valenti Gonzaga ed i figli Viola, Vera, Mafalda, Maddalena e Leonardo, la Principessa Mafalda di Savoia con il marito Francesco Lombardo ed i figli Anna, Carlo e Chiara.

ROYAL MARRIAGE - The marriage of TT.RR.HH. Prince Aimone and Princess Olga of Savoy was blessed on 27 September 2008 in the presence of H.M. the King of Greece and H.M. the Queen of Spain. It abides to the patents, rules and laws of the House of Savoy. This has not taken place since decades.

MAfan, I promise as soon as the Point de Vue comes I will tell you who the "Koumbaros" was. I only saw one picture in the Church and it did not have anyone standing behind them at the time. There was a man's hand holding the crown on picture #3.........LOL
Mind you nothing was mentioned on Greek TV or Greek widely read papers yet.

You are right, there is an article on Point de Vue of this week and there is also a small pic on the cover.
Point de vue

Is " koumbaros" the Greek word for best men?

You are right, there is an article on Point de Vue of this week and there is also a small pic on the cover.
Point de vue

Yes if it is a man is koumbaros if it is a woman is koumbara. I saw a man's hand over Aimone's head.
Point de Vue was too busy to devote a full page for them. Grrrrr!

Iakynthi is working hard for you,guys!!

Best man or Koumbaros:Christian Louboutin :flowers:
I just bought the new Life & Style.Same information,same photos.Something else that I never knew is that Olga is also a photographer and director....:ohmy: Did anyone know?

Point de vue

Point de vue preferred their own french star (daughter of famous singer J. Hallyday on the cover) over real royal marriage. It's sad a bit....

wow, I'm not sure if I understand what the dress is all about...

MAfan. Check the photos they have shown above. In photo #4 in the Church the step father is standing behind Queen Sofia and Princess Irene. It shows him in between them but in the next row.

Still looking for the koumbaros (witness)

I just bought the new Life & Style.Same information,same photos.Something else that I never knew is that Olga is also a photographer and director....:ohmy: Did anyone know?

How come Christian Louboutin? It had to be an Orthodox. Is C L Orthodox?

I read an article in Vanity Fair Olga wrote 3 issues ago about the "gardener prince" and his shop that went up in flames in Paris. It was a display of mounted animals since this was a taxidermy laboratory. It was very well written. She must be a very talented lady.
FInd out more about the koumbaros.. Was there only one??

Thank you for your hard work, Iakynthi! I wish that Christian Louboutin was the best man at my wedding. Imagine the shoe connection he could provide:ROFLMAO:.

Odette,I think that the case is not about C.Louboutin being Orthodox or Catholic.It's about Patmos and Dodecanese,in general,that are under the Patriarch of Constantinople (that allows such things) and not under the Archbishop of Greece.That's why I believe Aimone didn't face a problem with his religion....I'm not familiar with those rules,of course,so I'm afraid I can't give you further information.:ermm:
Sgl,you can have Manolo Blanhik as the best man for your wedding...Trust me!;)

I was very surprised ( I should not have been) to find out that almost half of the population In Tinos are Catholics. I suppose certain areas in Greece may allow it. Since I have tangled many times with my Church in Filothei I studied all the Church rules. One cannot perform a sacrament as a nounos or koumbaros, unless they prove that they have been baptised in the GO Church. Also a wedding between an Orthodox and a Christian of any other denomination is approved and sanctioned but the couple must sign papers that their children will be baptised in the GO Church and be raised as Orthodox.
SGL and Iakynthi, should Manolo or Christian be a koumbaros at either one of your weddings I must be asked to be the maid of honor........Matching shoes for all of us.......:ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure!!That would be my order as a bride:Manolo,matching shoes for all of my maids,please!!And quickly...:ROFLMAO::lol:

Roman Catholics who marry GOC must also sign documents with their local churches that the children will be raised Roman Catholic or the marriage is not sanctioned or deemed valid. It will be interesting to see in which religion they raise the children! My guess that since they would become part of the house of Savoy-Aosta and not the Royal Greek House that they will be raised under the Roman Rite.

I believe the same,Sg1fan.Plus,it's traditional and more "natural" for children to follow their fathers' religion.In this case,Aimone and Olga's children will be 1/4 Greek...I hope they will learn to speak Greek,at least as a 2nd or 3rd language.

Roman Catholics who marry GOC must also sign documents with their local churches that the children will be raised Roman Catholic or the marriage is not sanctioned or deemed valid. It will be interesting to see in which religion they raise the children! My guess that since they would become part of the house of Savoy-Aosta and not the Royal Greek House that they will be raised under the Roman Rite.

Are you sure about this?? Princess Alexia never converted and neither Carlos Morales. All four children have been baptised in the GO Church.

I believe the same,Sg1fan.Plus,it's traditional and more "natural" for children to follow their fathers' religion.In this case,Aimone and Olga's children will be 1/4 Greek...I hope they will learn to speak Greek,at least as a 2nd or 3rd language.

How did you figure out 1/4 Greek? Both her parents are Greek. The children will be 2/4 Greek, 1/4 French and 1/4/ Italian......

How come everyone missed that her shoes were made out of pasta/macaroni/noodles????????????
OMG! What about a pizza on her head like a crown?
They say it is "en Hommage à l'Italie", but from my Italian point of view, that is only ridiculous and unrespectful and I cannot believe that the only way to make an "hommage à l'Italie" is wearing a pair of shoes with pasta on them (designed by a French stylist!), as Italy were only spaghetti and maccheroni, like many ignorant people believe.
They got married in Greece, with a Greek Orthodox ceremony, Olga was wearing a traditional Greek gown, and what was her only tribute to his Italian Royal husband (one of the most "royal bloodded" prince in Europe)?
The pasta on her shoes!!!!
Really bad taste, IMO of course.

In my opinion, the dress was really nice. However, it would have been much better if the bride wore a proper tiara and her bouquet was made of fresh flowers. I think like that the bride would have looked more elegant.

Even the jewels, they could have matched the tiara.

Are you sure about this?? Princess Alexia never converted and neither Carlos Morales. All four children have been baptised in the GO Church.

Yes, I am quite sure about this as my Mother and Uncle are both Catholic Theologians and my parents went through it being that my father is protestant and my mother Catholic....

As far as Carlos Morales, he is not following Roman Catholic teaching and would not be considered to be Catholic (in the Roman line) any longer. My guess is that he is following the Greek tradition and that he and Alexia came to some agreement about the children and his faith prior to the wedding since they are in line for the throne.

As some will recall, the Catholic church would NOT marry Marie Christine (Princess Michael of Kent) because the children would be raised in the Anglican church......it's the same deal.

As far as Prince Aimone, it is important (at least from his Dad's point of view) that he maintain his position as a claimant to the throne and that would require the children to be baptized Roman Catholic. Roman Catholics can MARRY in a different faith church (be it GoC or Protestant) with the stipulation (and most dioceses - including most in the US- require the other spouse to actually sign a document saying the children will be raised in the Roman tradition) or they will not approve the marriage.

Last edited:
1/4 Greek?Oh,I must have lost something during the calculation...
I'm a greek litterature Professor,not a mathematician,after all...

i'm so glad they are expecting their first baby. i'm sure they were looking forward to announcing the moment, after such a long engagement. now, so suddenly, wedding and pregnancy!

i never realised the shoes were made of pasta. funny detail, certainly. are there any pictures?

I never noticed the pasta shoes. They sound hideous and ridiculous. I would love to see a close-up.

Back
Top Bottom