The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Weddings: Non-Reigning Houses & Nobility

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-30-2008, 05:27 AM
Commoner

Some new pics without watermark:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...01/2rw544l.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...01/33vgho3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...001/v645j9.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...001/ztx3lh.jpg

Guests
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...01/2ynmnt2.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...001/4hsaix.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...001/6gwtuf.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...001/v33axg.jpg

Old 09-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Royalty author Marlene Koenig has the translation of the article of the Patmos times on her blog:

Quote:
Translation of the Patmos Times article about Aimone & Olga's wedding

Thanks again to one of Royal Musing's readers, who just happens to be Greek and kindly translated the wedding article:

"Amid shining simplicity, in Patmos, on the 27th of September 2008, the wedding of Princess Olga Isabelle, daughter of Prince Michael and Marina Karella, took place, with the chosen of her heart, Prince Aimone, son of Aimne,Duke of Aosta, who is himself the son of Princess Irene, daughter of King Constantine I.
Olga is a great-granddaughter and Aimone great-great-grandson of King George I.
look here for more.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Commoner

The dress is so original. I like it.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks a lot for the new pics!!Alexandra looks fantastic one more time!!
I'm afraid I can't say the same for Marina Karella's outfit(it looks kind of Arabian/Indian or something) and don't tell me it is "artistic" or anything like that,cause I'm not gonna change my mind....LOL
About Pavlos or MC:if they were invited,then the rest of Olga's nephews must have been invited as well.But then I think:why not?Why not Sofia's children as well?They are sooo close relatives.Why not 100 guests instead of 70?What would be different?
Seriously,I don't understand how or what she was thinking...
Old 09-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Aristocracy

Thnaks for the pics,queen sofia is very beautiful and happy
Old 09-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Who is the woman on the left of Queen Sofia in the third photo of the guests?
Her sister Princess Irene of Greece.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakynthi View Post
.Why not 100 guests instead of 70?What would be different?
Seriously,I don't understand how or what she was thinking...
That she wanted a small intimate wedding, not an excuse for a large extavaganza that her future father-in-law was apparently wanting. The planned wedding 2 years ago was supposed to be in Turin and was turning into a huge circus so Olga and Aimone cancelled it. Olga and her family stood firm and they got the small wedding that meant something to the couple.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I suppose that the groom got some sort of dispensation from the catholic church then?
You are right! In the article on Il SecoloXIX, ( there is a link on this site Sito Ufficiale della Real Casa di Savoia - Le nozze delle LL.AA.RR. il Principe Aimone e la Principessa Olga di Savoia) Aimone said he got a dispensation from the Bishop of Moscow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
That she wanted a small intimate wedding, not an excuse for a large extavaganza that her future father-in-law was apparently wanting.
I am sure that Prince Amedeo has never wanted a large extravaganza. I can believe that he probably wanted a larger number of guests, but extravagance has never been the Savoy-Aosta's style!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Could anyone please explain why the wedding was orthodox? I believe that Prince Aimone is Roman Catholic.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Could anyone please explain why the wedding was orthodox? I believe that Prince Aimone is Roman Catholic.
Yes, but I think Olga i orthodox, as all the Greek Royal Family...
Old 09-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Smile My views on the matter might be viewed as too outdated.

Traditionally royal brides renounce their faith and adopt that of their husbands. Princess Olga is not Crown Princess or Princess of a reinging family. Thus, it would have been more appropriate to have a Roman Catholic ceremony in my very conservative traditional opinion. It was a graceful act on the part of Prince Aimone and his family to have a purely Orthodox ceremony.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Traditionally royal brides renounce their faith and adopt that of their husbands. Princess Olga is not Crown Princess or Princess of a reinging family. Thus, it would have been more appropriate to have a Roman Catholic ceremony in my very conservative traditional opinion. It was a graceful act on the part of Prince Aimone and his family to have a purely Orthodox ceremony.
But for example the russian Grand Duchesses keept their faith after marriage. Most of the time it was regulated in the Wedding Contract that there had to be an orthodox Chapel in her Residence. The only i can think of who converted was Duchess Vera of Württemberg, née Grand Duchess of Russia. She converted to the lutheran Church a few years before her death but years after her marriage.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

It has been most kind of you, Stefan, to provide interesting facts about the Russian Imperial family. Given your post, it might be fair to presume that Princess Olga empahises her connections with the Romanovs.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Commoner

Photos from the wedding:

U.M.I. - Unione Monarchica Italiana - LE NOZZE DEI PRINCIPI AIMONE DI SAVOIA E OLGA DI GRECIA

Foro Hispanico de Opiniones sobre la Realeza: Fotos
Old 09-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Courtier

I bet that the Olga and Aimone specified "dressy casual" for the wedding guests - there looks like there was much walking to and from the church. Some people are comfortable all dressed up and others just want to wear less-constricting clothing.
I am sure that they wanted their guests to be comfortable. And wasn't the wedding reception outdoors? It's hard to tell -
No bridal attendants - definitely not an extravanganza --- just what Olga and Aimone wanted -
Queen Sofia looked amazing - loved the outfit.
The bride's mother looked just fine.
I would imagine there would be a Catholic blessing of some sort on the wedding couple to show that their marriage is valid in the eyes of the Catholic church.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Royal Highness

They could have invited Constantine's and Sofia's children.They wouldn't spoil the "privacy",IMO.Their presence could make this wedding much more interesting and funny,after all...Except for the couple and Alexandra I didn't see any other young and "fresh" face....but if this was their wish,I hope they enjoyed it.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks for the lovely photos.
The dress IS unnusual, but what matters, I think is the happiness expressed in the couple´s faces. May they be very happy!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
Quote:
I would imagine there would be a Catholic blessing of some sort on the wedding couple to show that their marriage is valid in the eyes of the Catholic church.
In the eyes of the Roman Catholic church, all those who have been baptized are regarded as "catholic", no matter if they're Protestant or Ortodox. To the Catholic church all Christians form "the mystical body of Jesus", so a wedding celebrated in any Christian religious ceremony is valid and an indissoluble bond.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakynthi View Post
They could have invited Constantine's and Sofia's children.They wouldn't spoil the "privacy",IMO.Their presence could make this wedding much more interesting and funny,after all...Except for the couple and Alexandra I didn't see any other young and "fresh" face....but if this was their wish,I hope they enjoyed it.
This is how a wedding for 70 starts and ends up with 300 attending.......
If they wanted a small gathering, it is perfect that they drew the line at the Aunts and Uncles generation rather than including everyone.