Prince Aimone of Savoy-Aosta and Princess Olga of Greece, September 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Royalty author Marlene Koenig has the translation of the article of the Patmos times on her blog:

Translation of the Patmos Times article about Aimone & Olga's wedding

Thanks again to one of Royal Musing's readers, who just happens to be Greek and kindly translated the wedding article:

"Amid shining simplicity, in Patmos, on the 27th of September 2008, the wedding of Princess Olga Isabelle, daughter of Prince Michael and Marina Karella, took place, with the chosen of her heart, Prince Aimone, son of Aimne,Duke of Aosta, who is himself the son of Princess Irene, daughter of King Constantine I.
Olga is a great-granddaughter and Aimone great-great-grandson of King George I.

look here for more.

Thanks a lot for the new pics!!Alexandra looks fantastic one more time!!
I'm afraid I can't say the same for Marina Karella's outfit(it looks kind of Arabian/Indian or something) and don't tell me it is "artistic" or anything like that,cause I'm not gonna change my mind....LOL
About Pavlos or MC:if they were invited,then the rest of Olga's nephews must have been invited as well.But then I think:why not?Why not Sofia's children as well?They are sooo close relatives.Why not 100 guests instead of 70?What would be different?
Seriously,I don't understand how or what she was thinking...

Thnaks for the pics,queen sofia is very beautiful and happy

.Why not 100 guests instead of 70?What would be different?
Seriously,I don't understand how or what she was thinking...

That she wanted a small intimate wedding, not an excuse for a large extavaganza that her future father-in-law was apparently wanting. The planned wedding 2 years ago was supposed to be in Turin and was turning into a huge circus so Olga and Aimone cancelled it. Olga and her family stood firm and they got the small wedding that meant something to the couple.

I suppose that the groom got some sort of dispensation from the catholic church then?
You are right! In the article on Il SecoloXIX, ( there is a link on this site Sito Ufficiale della Real Casa di Savoia - Le nozze delle LL.AA.RR. il Principe Aimone e la Principessa Olga di Savoia) Aimone said he got a dispensation from the Bishop of Moscow.
That she wanted a small intimate wedding, not an excuse for a large extavaganza that her future father-in-law was apparently wanting.
I am sure that Prince Amedeo has never wanted a large extravaganza. I can believe that he probably wanted a larger number of guests, but extravagance has never been the Savoy-Aosta's style!

Could anyone please explain why the wedding was orthodox? I believe that Prince Aimone is Roman Catholic.

Could anyone please explain why the wedding was orthodox? I believe that Prince Aimone is Roman Catholic.
Yes, but I think Olga i orthodox, as all the Greek Royal Family...

My views on the matter might be viewed as too outdated.

Traditionally royal brides renounce their faith and adopt that of their husbands. Princess Olga is not Crown Princess or Princess of a reinging family. Thus, it would have been more appropriate to have a Roman Catholic ceremony in my very conservative traditional opinion. It was a graceful act on the part of Prince Aimone and his family to have a purely Orthodox ceremony.

Traditionally royal brides renounce their faith and adopt that of their husbands. Princess Olga is not Crown Princess or Princess of a reinging family. Thus, it would have been more appropriate to have a Roman Catholic ceremony in my very conservative traditional opinion. It was a graceful act on the part of Prince Aimone and his family to have a purely Orthodox ceremony.

But for example the russian Grand Duchesses keept their faith after marriage. Most of the time it was regulated in the Wedding Contract that there had to be an orthodox Chapel in her Residence. The only i can think of who converted was Duchess Vera of Württemberg, née Grand Duchess of Russia. She converted to the lutheran Church a few years before her death but years after her marriage.

Last edited:
It has been most kind of you, Stefan, to provide interesting facts about the Russian Imperial family. :flowers:Given your post, it might be fair to presume that Princess Olga empahises her connections with the Romanovs.

I bet that the Olga and Aimone specified "dressy casual" for the wedding guests - there looks like there was much walking to and from the church. Some people are comfortable all dressed up and others just want to wear less-constricting clothing.
I am sure that they wanted their guests to be comfortable. And wasn't the wedding reception outdoors? It's hard to tell -
No bridal attendants - definitely not an extravanganza --- just what Olga and Aimone wanted -
Queen Sofia looked amazing - loved the outfit.
The bride's mother looked just fine.
I would imagine there would be a Catholic blessing of some sort on the wedding couple to show that their marriage is valid in the eyes of the Catholic church.

They could have invited Constantine's and Sofia's children.They wouldn't spoil the "privacy",IMO.Their presence could make this wedding much more interesting and funny,after all...Except for the couple and Alexandra I didn't see any other young and "fresh" face....but if this was their wish,I hope they enjoyed it.

Thanks for the lovely photos.
The dress IS unnusual, but what matters, I think is the happiness expressed in the couple´s faces. May they be very happy!

I would imagine there would be a Catholic blessing of some sort on the wedding couple to show that their marriage is valid in the eyes of the Catholic church.

In the eyes of the Roman Catholic church, all those who have been baptized are regarded as "catholic", no matter if they're Protestant or Ortodox. To the Catholic church all Christians form "the mystical body of Jesus", so a wedding celebrated in any Christian religious ceremony is valid and an indissoluble bond.

They could have invited Constantine's and Sofia's children.They wouldn't spoil the "privacy",IMO.Their presence could make this wedding much more interesting and funny,after all...Except for the couple and Alexandra I didn't see any other young and "fresh" face....but if this was their wish,I hope they enjoyed it.

This is how a wedding for 70 starts and ends up with 300 attending.......
If they wanted a small gathering, it is perfect that they drew the line at the Aunts and Uncles generation rather than including everyone. :flowers:

This is how a wedding for 70 starts and ends up with 300 attending.......
If they wanted a small gathering, it is perfect that they drew the line at the Aunts and Uncles generation rather than including everyone. :flowers:

You are so right - if they had invited the younger generation - Felipe, Pavlos, etc. - maybe they would have wanted to bring their young kids and so on ...
It looks as if there were no children present at this wedding. Some couples do not want young children runnning around at their weddings and it is understandable.
Bravo to Aimone and Olga for standing their ground and having the kind of wedding they wanted.

I am sure there were young people and children. We only saw a few pics of the wedding, that is the problem.
Aimone's sisters attended with their 8 children, but I only saw one pic with three of them. I haven't even seen a pic of Alexandra's children, though they were there. Besides, I am sure that both Aimone and Olga invited their young best friends.
As far as it regards the Sofia's and Constantine's children, I wonder why they should have invited them. As they didn't want a large number of guests, why should they have invited their distant relatives?
Respecting the protocol, they invited Constantine that is the Head of Greek Royal family, though he is also Aimone's Godfather, Amedeo' first cousin and Olga's second cousin.
I think, Olga and Aimone were correct.
They couldn't invite the whole Greek and Italian Royal families if they didn't want too many guests, IMO.

Have to agree with Odette and pamk; when having a small wedding you have to draw a line somewhere and stick to it. My wedding would have gone from 40 people to 120 had we invited our aunts, uncles, and cousins. Because the line was so clear people understood, and I'm sure the extended family of Olga and Aimone understands as well.

Ok,guys.Whatever you say.It was just a thought...
Do we have any news?Is the couple going to live in Moscow?Olga is a journalist,I guess she can't live there permanently.

Olga had an article printed in the Vanity Fair of 2 issues ago. Perhaps she can work out of Moscow and travel a lot.

As far as it regards the Sofia's and Constantine's children, I wonder why they should have invited them. As they didn't want a large number of guests, why should they have invited their distant relatives?
Respecting the protocol, they invited Constantine that is the Head of Greek Royal family, though he is also Aimone's Godfather, Amedeo' first cousin and Olga's second cousin.
I think, Olga and Aimone were correct.
They couldn't invite the whole Greek and Italian Royal families if they didn't want too many guests, IMO.[/quote

so ,why Princess Maria Gabriella of Savoy was invited? as far as I know,she is a distant relative [aunt] of Aimone.

Seems like (from the photos we have seen) that some of the uncles and aunts were there. The ones who were not there, were Aimone's and Olga's generation. Besides their siblings no cousins were present.
If they wanted to keep it small they did a very good job.
With regard to Maria Gabriella, I believe she was the only sister of VE who was vocal about her brother and supports Amedeo. Perhaps it was a gesture of gratitude.

Does anyone else believe that this thing on Olga's head makes her look just like Mercury (the ancient Greek god) or I'm the only bad person here??LOL

Does anyone else believe that this thing on Olga's head makes her look just like Mercury (the ancient Greek god) or I'm the only bad person here??LOL

What thing? Are you referring to the olive branch wreath she wore instead of a crown??
Looking at these photos again I believe it was one of the most unique bridal outfits.

Princee Maria-Gabriella of Savoy is very close to her nephew Aimone and with all the dynastic members of the Family.

Back
Top Bottom