The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Weddings: Non-Reigning Houses & Nobility

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Well... after an initial shock of seeing a truly nontraditional interpretation of a wedding dress, I have to say that Princess Olga looked happy. What else is required? Nothing else... I think. It was Princess Ogla, who chose to wear this outfit. I am sure she has got her reasons for doing so. I respect her choice.

To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 09-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Courtier

Wow, the bride looked unusual, but I think that she carried it off. She is so gorgeous that she could have worn a potato sack and still looked beautiful.
She is an older, mature bride (isn't she about 38 yers old?) and an all-white regular wedding gown would have looked ridiculous on her. Her choice of gown was brave.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for the infos Odette!
Are also the feathers and the plunging neckline part of the tradition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
Are those children already the one´s of her sister Alexandra?
According to the captions on IBL website, the children in pics 8 are Aimone's nephews;
the man in white holding Olga's dress in pic 7 is Christian Louboutin; Olga's dress is by Prada (??)
Old 09-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

the dress is certainly original. not my cup of tea, but i think it is great that olga decided to look different from any other royal brides. the ceremony also looked very different and original. i always really liked olga because of those original details, so i must say i liked the wedding. besides, olga (and aimone) is a royal by birth and doesn't need to show she is dignified and elegant. she already knows that and so do we. as other people said, she is beautiful and elegant and therefore doesn't need an impressive dress to look impressive.

i'm really glad they are married, after such a long engagement! my congrats!

any other royal guests appart from sofia?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
the dress is certainly original. not my cup of tea, but i think it is great that olga decided to look different from any other royal brides. the ceremony also looked very different and original. i always really liked olga because of those original details, so i must say i liked the wedding. besides, olga (and aimone) is a royal by birth and doesn't need to show she is dignified and elegant. she already knows that and so do we. as other people said, she is beautiful and elegant and therefore doesn't need an impressive dress to look impressive.

i'm really glad they are married, after such a long engagement! my congrats!

any other royal guests appart from sofia?
Yes Princess Irene, King Constantine II. and Queen Anne-Marie where present.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Yes Princess Irene, King Constantine II. and Queen Anne-Marie where present.
Any royal guest from the Orleans side of both families?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

No matter if we like this unusual wedding dress or not the most importatnt thinkg is that they are finally married and happy.
Not only the dress was unusual (so different from all those typical wedding dresses) the other guest's outfits (Q.Sofia and PssIrene) were interesting too.

All the best to the newlywed
Old 09-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Royal Highness

Exclamation

Guys,I just logged in and saw the 1st pics.I'm in shock with the dress (it looks traditional,but Russian,not Greek,to me).She didn't have to remind us that she's a Romanov descendant....
Anyway,she was glowing one more time.It's just that I expected something simple and elegant from Olga.
The rest is history...Odette has translated everything we know so far.The Greek media are still sleeping.How about the Italian press?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Any royal guest from the Orleans side of both families?
Apparently not. At last they where not mentioned in the Press Releases on the website of the Duke of Aosta. But it is said that it have been only 30-40 guests.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Royal Highness

Thumbs up

Yes,they are!!Especially,the Greek traditional one...
I just got disappointed about Olga's dress.I just saw the pics and I'm still in shock...How did she do that?And don't tell me that the outfit was Greek or traditional Dodecanese.It seemed so "Russian-Romanov" to me...The only Greek elements I saw are the olive-laurel bouquet and that thing on her head which reminded me of Hermes (god Mercury)...
Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Royal Highness

About the guests:the Greek press made them 70 today...
Old 09-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Was it an all orthodox ceremony? Or was there a catholic priest too?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness

The dress was not my cup of tea either, but I thought Princess Olga has the grace, elegance, and regal presence to pull it off. You can tell this bride was born royal.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Very interesting dress. The bride is a very beautiful woman, and the church that they were married in was gorgeous. Does anyone know why Crown Prince Pavlos and Marie-Chantal weren't in attendance?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Courtier

I agree; Princess Olga is quite beautiful. She has an ethereal beauty. But the dress...
Old 09-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Courtier

The bottom of the dress looks like sea foam --- like she is rising from the sea.
Olga is stunning - Aimone looks like he has quite a sunburn on his face -

The church looked absolutely lovely --- lots of gold ---
Old 09-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Considering photos provided by iceflower, I would say that the ceremony looked purely Orthodox.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 09-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Yes Marengo it was the Greek Orthodox ceremony. In one of the photos one can see the wreaths they both wear on their heads. In Royal weddings they use crowns the attendants hold over the bride and groom's head. In this case they went with the customs all mere mortals follow.
The write up indicates this was in the Greek Orthodox Church and the priest who officiated is also G.O. No mention was made of a Catholic priest.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:43 AM
Courtier

I actually really like Olga's dress! I think it's gorgeous, the whole wedding seemed lovely, a real Greek village wedding.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I suppose that the groom got some sort of dispensation from the catholic church then? I recall they did the same to princess Maxima when she married in a protestant ceremony (and to many others probably).

The dress is original indeed, but inside the church it actually works IMO.