Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills and Alina Maria Binder - September 30th, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nicolae and Alina-Maria on the cover of newest issue of romanian magazine Nunta (wedding)
"The discreet charm of the dynasty"
Exclusively at magazine Nunta, a princely love story: Nicolae al Romaniei and Alina-Maria de Roumanie with elegance and dignity
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=207ab96746baf433937c7b28e9b36d25&oe=5C29301B

Photos from magazine Nunta's Facebook
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010100011D15379816021313531
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010100021D15379816021313531
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010100031D15379816021313531
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010100041D15379816021313531
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010100051D15379816021313531
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010100061D15379816021313531

Last edited:
He wears two medals in the cover photo: what are they?

What a very handsome couple and wishing them the very best for the future. Their hearts are in the right place for the country!

He wears two medals in the cover photo: what are they?

Nicolae got Nihil Sine Deo from king Mihai in April 2010. According to the website of the Romanian Royal Family, Nicolae has got medal nr. 1.
Decorația Regala Nihil Sine Deo

He got also Royal Decoration of the Custodian of the Romanian Crown First Class in 2015
Medalia Custodele Coroanei române

Nicolae had also the Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown, when he was a prince:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...H6LvTU/s1600/margareta-radu-nicolae-maria.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you LadyFinn! I see in the picture you posted that Radu, husband of Margareta has a grand cross too. Did he get a royal title upon the wedding? And thanks for your updates on the upcoming wedding. I hope I am not going out of topic.

Last edited:
Thank you LadyFinn! I see in the picture you posted that Radu, husband of Margareta has a grand cross too. Did he get a royal title upon the wedding? And thanks for your updates on the upcoming wedding. I hope I am not going out of topic.

According the website of the Royal House:

Order of King Carol I

Collar:

Princess Margareta (2017)

Grand Cross:
Princess Margareta (1996)
Prince Radu (2007)

Order of the Romanian Crown

Grand Cross:
Princess Margareta (2011)
Prince Radu (2011)
Princess Elena (2013)
Princess Maria (2014)
Princess Sophia (2017)
Alexander Philips Nixon (2018)
-> It seems the Order has been revoked from Nicholas in order of King Michael?
He is also not wearing it on the picture with Alina, only with his two medals.
The website of the Royal House does not name Nicholas amongst the recipients, but he had worn it.

Commander:
Alexander Philips Nixon (2013)

Royal Decoration of the Custodian

Hors categorie:
Princess Margareta (2015)

First Class:
Princess Elena (2015)
Princess Sophie (2015)
Princess Marie (2015)
Now former Prince Nicholas (2015)

Royal Decoration Nihil Sine Deo

Alexander Philips Nixon (2010)
Now former Prince Nicholas (2010)

Last edited:
Video/slideshow from Facebook of Marilena Rotaru, the President of Mișcarea pentru Regat și Coroană (The Movement for the Kingdom and the Crown).
The royal wedding of the century in Romania
Facebook

Yes it is the first Wedding of a grandson of the late King Michael and Queen Anne in Roumanie.

Yes it is the first Wedding of a grandson of the late King Michael and Queen Anne in Roumanie.
The first Weddin g of a Family member in Romania since the Wedding of Prinmcess Ileana in 1931.

"În 2010, la împlinirea vârstei de 25 de ani Majestatea Sa Regele Mihai I i-a conferit titlul de Principe al României și calificativul de Alteță Regală, în cadrul unei ceremonii ce a avut loc la Palatul Elisabeta.

În 2010 a fost decorat de Regele Mihai cu Decorația regală Nihil Sine Deo, iar în 2013, cu Marea Cruce a Ordinului Coroana României."

(In 2010, at the age of 25, His Majesty King Michael I gave him the title of Prince of Romania and the title of Royal Highness at a ceremony held at Elisabeta Palace.

In 2010 he was bestowed by King Michael the royal decoration Nihil Sine Deo, and in 2013, with the Grand Cross in the Ordinului Coroana României.)

Possibly when his grandfather decided that the style, title, position in the Royal House and place in the succession, was abrogated, Nicholas also lost the Order? It seems it was conferred to him together with the creation as Prince of Romania.

Principele Nicolae a împlinit 30 de ani

Last edited:
Archbishop Calinic will celebrate Prince Nicolae' wedding: "King Mihai I thought the prince could cultivate the hopes of binding the broken line of 1947"

Prince Nicolae's wedding with Alina Binder will take place on Sunday, September 30, in Sinaia. The religious ceremony will be celebrated by priests led by Calinic, archbishop of Arges and Muscel, with whom King Mihai's grandson has a special relationship of friendship. Archbishop Calinic spoke to Adevarul about Prince Nicolae.
Archbishop Calinic is affectionately affiliated with Sinaia because he was named abbot of the Sinaia Monastery from 1977 to 1981.
Prince Nicolae was the one who wanted Archbishop Calinic to celebrate his religious wedding with Alina Binder. "At the request of Prince Nicolae of Romania, Father Patriarch Daniel gave the blessing and approval that on 30 September I would participate with a group of priests serving the Holy Sacrament of marriage", said Archbishop Calinic.
The first meeting of Archbishop Calinic with Prince Nicolae was a few years ago when the latter came along with Prince Radu to see how the works go to the new Archbishop's Cathedral and royal necropolis. "And when Queen Ana was buried, I urged that especially in such special moments in human life, whatever the difficulties there were, any family and especially members of the Royal Family would be solidary, just as at the funeral of King Mihai I, who watched over his life (Prince Nicolae), with the desire to be the heir of the Royal Crown", said Archbishop Calinic.
About the wedding gift he will give to Prince Nicolae and Alina Binder, archbishop Calinic revealed that it would be an icon, "as he is an icon for Romania".
Regarding the future of Prince Nicolae, Archbishop Calinic said: "I see him consolidated with the Romanians. King Mihai I thought for decades that Prince Nicolae could cultivate the hopes of binding the broken line of 1947, of course the King's descendants and descendants could play an exceptional role in this. For me, Prince Nicolae is an authentic Romanian and will be perfect in this way".
On October 2nd, two days after the wedding, Prince Nicolae and his wife will go to the Curtea de Arges Monastery. "In our conversations, Prince Nicolae told me that he would come after the wedding, without delay, to Curtea de Argeş, to the royal lands of his forefathers in the Royal Family of Romania, to recollect and to remember them in prayers", confirmed archbishop Calinic.
Arhiepiscopul Calinic va oficia nunta principelui Nicolae_ „Regele Mihai I s-a gândit că principele ar putea cultiva speranţele legării firului rupt în 1947“ _ adevarul.ro

Wil Archbishop Calinic be welcome at Elisabeta Palace in the future ?

Archbishop Calinic will celebrate Prince Nicolae' wedding: "King Mihai I thought the prince could cultivate the hopes of binding the broken line of 1947"

Prince Nicolae's wedding with Alina Binder will take place on Sunday, September 30, in Sinaia. The religious ceremony will be celebrated by priests led by Calinic, archbishop of Arges and Muscel, with whom King Mihai's grandson has a special relationship of friendship. Archbishop Calinic spoke to Adevarul about Prince Nicolae.
Archbishop Calinic is affectionately affiliated with Sinaia because he was named abbot of the Sinaia Monastery from 1977 to 1981.
Prince Nicolae was the one who wanted Archbishop Calinic to celebrate his religious wedding with Alina Binder. "At the request of Prince Nicolae of Romania, Father Patriarch Daniel gave the blessing and approval that on 30 September I would participate with a group of priests serving the Holy Sacrament of marriage", said Archbishop Calinic.
The first meeting of Archbishop Calinic with Prince Nicolae was a few years ago when the latter came along with Prince Radu to see how the works go to the new Archbishop's Cathedral and royal necropolis. "And when Queen Ana was buried, I urged that especially in such special moments in human life, whatever the difficulties there were, any family and especially members of the Royal Family would be solidary, just as at the funeral of King Mihai I, who watched over his life (Prince Nicolae), with the desire to be the heir of the Royal Crown", said Archbishop Calinic.
About the wedding gift he will give to Prince Nicolae and Alina Binder, archbishop Calinic revealed that it would be an icon, "as he is an icon for Romania".
Regarding the future of Prince Nicolae, Archbishop Calinic said: "I see him consolidated with the Romanians. King Mihai I thought for decades that Prince Nicolae could cultivate the hopes of binding the broken line of 1947, of course the King's descendants and descendants could play an exceptional role in this. For me, Prince Nicolae is an authentic Romanian and will be perfect in this way".
On October 2nd, two days after the wedding, Prince Nicolae and his wife will go to the Curtea de Arges Monastery. "In our conversations, Prince Nicolae told me that he would come after the wedding, without delay, to Curtea de Argeş, to the royal lands of his forefathers in the Royal Family of Romania, to recollect and to remember them in prayers", confirmed archbishop Calinic.
Arhiepiscopul Calinic va oficia nunta principelui Nicolae_ „Regele Mihai I s-a gândit că principele ar putea cultiva speranţele legării firului rupt în 1947“ _ adevarul.ro

Interesting that the Archbishop thought "for decades" about Nicholas, a Swiss-born British dude just in his early thirties, and with a serious role in the monarchy for just five years. He thougt "for decades", less than 30 years after the fall of the Communist regime. Really?

The Archbishop paid lots of lip-service here.

Last edited:
Apparently you have difficulties in believing that members of the clergy are telling the truth. If we can not trust an archbishop on his word, who can we trust?

As Nicholas is a grandson of the late king - something that not even his aunt and her husband can undo, as much as they perhaps would like - it is not odd that people who held the late king in high regard may have thought about his grandchildren for decades too. No amount of belittling comments can undo that Nicholas is the eldest child of the present heiress to the defunct throne.

One would hope that a wedding would be a good moment for a family to reconsile and find ways to overcome their differences. It appears that that is not the case but let's hope they will do so in the future.

Last edited:
Interesting that the Archbishop thought "for decades" about Nicholas, a Swiss-born British dude just in his early thirties, and with a serious role in the monarchy for just five years. He thougt "for decades", less than 30 years after the fall of the Communist regime. Really?

Believe it or not - there ARE people very fond about "the dude"...!
Regarding this word, Duc: if you apparently don´t like a person (what makes me wonder why you are constantly lingering on the "Nikolae-threads"...), you can still be respectful! At least, N. is grandson of a very respected, late royal couple and an ancestor of Queen Victoria.

Nicolae and Alina-Maria on the cover of newest issue of romanian magazine Nunta (wedding)
"The discreet charm of the dynasty"
Exclusively at magazine Nunta, a princely love story: Nicolae al Romaniei and Alina-Maria de Roumanie with elegance and dignity
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=207ab96746baf433937c7b28e9b36d25&oe=5C29301B

Photos from magazine Nunta's Facebook
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Two more photos of the photoshoot Nicolae and Alina-Maria did to magazine Nunta, photos from Nunta's Facebook.

Wow! He looks so dapper in white tie! He most definitely must have inherited the genes of his late father!

And the second grandson to marry. However, it seems they have something in common in is that most family members don't attend (although some of them might have, we just haven't seen any evidence/indicstion that they did). Although I do think that in Michael's (and his sister Angelica's) case at least their mother did attend next to their sibling.

And the second grandson to marry. However, it seems they have something in common in is that most family members don't attend (although some of them might have, we just haven't seen any evidence/indicstion that they did). Although I do think that in Michael's (and his sister Angelica's) case at least their mother did attend next to their sibling.

I believe Maria Olivia wrote that Nicholas is the first grandson of the King and Queen to marry in Romania.

Indeed, he is the first descendant of the King and Queen to marry in Romania, period.

Further, Irina did not attend the weddings of either of her children.

Wil Archbishop Calinic be welcome at Elisabeta Palace in the future ?

Considering that Archbishop Calinic received permission from Patriarch Daniel to preside over the ceremony at the Biserica Sfantul Ilie, it would seem unwise for Elisabeta Palace to take a negative view of the situation.

Further, the Archbishop is over Curtea de Argeș, where King Michael and Queen Anne as well as the other kings and queens of Romania are buried.

The Archbishop of Argeș and Muscel is hardly paying lip-service.

In 1992, during a course of interviews with author Philippe Vigué Desplaces, which resulted in the publication of the book Michel de Roumanie: Il Règne Inachevé, King Michael stated:

“Like all the families in our situation, we regretted not having sons, since the royal constitution of 1923, in accordance with the Salic law, forbids women to reign over the Kingdom of Romania.

Margarita, however, is the presumed heiress, but nothing is established. This is something we will have to resolve in due course. Many countries, Sweden, for example, have repealed the Salic law, which is no longer in accord with our times…

If I died before returning to the throne, my eldest daughter would most likely become the head of the royal family. Then, if she does not marry and has no descendants, this role will be played by the eldest son of my younger daughter [Helen’s son Nicholas]. This choice seems to conform to the preferences of all the Romanians that I have consulted on the question. But nothing is established yet. I cannot take such a decision alone.

I have four grandchildren today. None of them bear the title of prince, because they have to receive it through the Romanian parliament. On the other hand, it is essential that they be known in Romania and that they speak the language of their compatriots. Nicholas, Helen’s eldest son, is now six years old. The age I was when I ascended the throne ... If destiny calls him to rule one day in Romania, Nicholas will have to fulfil his duty.” (p.147, Desplaces)

The King spoke these words nearly thirty years ago... Note how he goes straight from Margarita to Nicholas. No mention of the other daughters or grandchildren. His Majesty always had a plan for Nicholas.

Last edited:
I believe Maria Olivia wrote that Nicholas is the first grandson of the King and Queen to marry in Romania.

Indeed, he is the first descendant of the King and Queen to marry in Romania, period.

Further, Irina did not attend the weddings of either of her children.

Yes, she did. I didn't deny that; just provided additional information. He is the first to marry in Romania and the second to marry. Not sure why it wouldn't be allowed to remind people of that as your 'period' suggests (it is easy to forget that Mihai had two grandsons, I myself almost forgot about the Kreugers: Nicholas is his second but more senior grandson).

Thanks for the extra tidbit of information but sad to read that even Irina didn't attend her children's weddings. The family really is a mess.

The Archbishop of Argeș and Muscel is hardly paying lip-service.

In 1992, during a course of interviews with author Philippe Vigué Desplaces, which resulted in the publication of the book Michel de Roumanie: Il Règne Inachevé, King Michael stated:

The King spoke these words nearly thirty years ago... Note how he goes straight from Margarita to Nicholas. No mention of the other daughters or grandchildren. His Majesty always had a plan for Nicholas.
Which is surely why he was even more disappointed when Nicholas did the one of the things he probably detested most which is to have a child out of wedlock (and to make things worse, he wasn't even in a relationship with the mother of his child). The king had great plans for Nicholas and then it all fell apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is surely why he was even more disappointed when Nicholas did the one of the things he probably detested most which is to have a child out of wedlock (and to make things worse, he wasn't even in a relationship with the mother of his child). The king had great plans for Nicholas and then it all fell apart.

Interesting opinion.

How do you know that this sort of thing would be what the late King “probably detested most”?

The only daughter of Princess Irina had a daughter that was born in 2007. The parents did not marry until 2009. Yet, Princess Irina’s daughter remained in the line of succession the whole time.

This argument would not appear to hold water.

Interesting opinion.

How do you know that this sort of thing would be what the late King “probably detested most”?

The only daughter of Princess Irina had a daughter that was born in 2007. The parents did not marry until 2009. Yet, Princess Irina’s daughter remained in the line of succession the whole time.

This argument would not appear to hold water.

Well, of course, neither of us knows for sure. That's why I used 'probably'. You make an interesting observation that could indeed suggest that it wasn't that big of a deal for the king. I have a different view.

One indication is his strong reaction to Nicholas' unfortunate behavior. If the king responded that strongly and publicly doubted Nicholas' morals, this must have been something that was really important to the king. Moreover, he had far higher expectations of his grandson as that was his heir. There was no reason to expect that Angelica would one day be the head of the family, so less reason for the king to take action. I don't think he necessarily approved of her having a child out of wedlock (both the king and queen surely would have liked her to be married first) but she was in a very different position. He had made Nicholas a prince and indirect heir, Angelica was and is just a private citizen in the USA.

The other reason for me to believe so is that this issue of having an older child out of wedlock (that is not in line to the throne) is exactly what caused quite some trouble for Mihai himself with own older half-brother whose son fought against Mihai for his rights to the throne. So, to see Nicholas make a somewhat comparable or even worse mistake as Mihai's father did (at least Carol had a child with his (former) wife whom he loved) which negatively impacted Mihai imo added to Mihai's already strong moral objections.

(however, all of this should be discussed in a different thread; I tried to move this kind of discussion to a different thread but somehow they keep coming up here (and yes, I know I contribute to that as well) :flowers:)

Yes, she did. I didn't deny that; just provided additional information. He is the first to marry in Romania and the second to marry. Not sure why it wouldn't be allowed to remind people of that as your 'period' suggests (it is easy to forget that Mihai had two grandsons, I myself almost forgot about the Kreugers: Nicholas is his second but more senior grandson).

Thanks for the extra tidbit of information but sad to read that even Irina didn't attend her children's weddings. The family really is a mess.

As far as I remember from reading public statements from the rrf and Nicholas' mother, the issue is not just having had a child out of wedlock, but not having ligitimised his little girl and having left the whole thing unsorted. Which, in my personal view, is in a weird contrast with all this festive and priest-crowded pre-wedding atmosphere. In my view, it does not cast a positive light on the groom.

Are we 100% sure this child is in fact his?
AFAIK, the official DNA tests were not made.

As for Angelica & her now husband - suppose at the moment of conceiving Courtney they were already living together as a couple.

Last edited:
As far as I remember from reading public statements from the rrf and Nicholas' mother, the issue is not just having had a child out of wedlock, but not having ligitimised his little girl and having left the whole thing unsorted. Which, in my personal view, is in a weird contrast with all this festive and priest-crowded pre-wedding atmosphere. In my view, it does not cast a positive light on the groom.

Amen to that.

Back
Top Bottom