Lady Melissa Percy and Thomas van Straubenzee, June 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Video:
WILLIAM & HARRY ATTEND SOCIETY WEDDING IN ALNWICK-
Home - ITNSource News

I have to admit, The Dukes of Northumberland Tiara was quite big on Lady Melissa. It's like you need Catherine or Camilla's hair to help carry it off. It's a grand piece.

It's a beautiful, grand tiara...simply gorgeous. But the first thing that came to mind when I saw it was that it was too large for her head.

I loved Lady Melissa's bridal gown. :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with the Baroness, if she had worn it as her stunning grandmother had, it would have looked a lot better. As it was, it seemed to be slipping down. Lovely bride, bridesmaids dresses and adorable children.

I'd be making a beeline straight to my vault if I had a priceless, magnificent, drop-dead gorgeous tiara to adorn my head. If ever there was a time to dust that tiara off, it would be for such a special occasion as a wedding and it was a marvel to see. But I'd want to take every opportunity to make sure I was wearing the tiara, not the other way around. As Frelinghighness said, it appeared to be slipping down and if it were styled correctly, i.e. better positioning with proper tiara hair, it would have been displayed ideally and not look so big and heavy and slipping down to her ears. That deserved better styling. But you cannot take away from the grandeur of that statement piece; that's a major gun rivaling the Queen's best tiaras. They don't make them like they used to, that's for sure!

Last edited:
May see this grand tiara again at the next Coronation.

I loved the tiara and yes agree it was too big for her. She needed a different hairstyle and for it to be in a different position. I like the dress although it's pretty plain on the bottom and I thought the veil was too thick. Biggest flower bouquet I have seen in awhile. LOL Thought the bridesmaids looked lovely so nice to see them in something other then white. As for all the ex girlfriend etc dramas I doubt there was really any! Harry looked very handsome as did William.

Seems I'm the odd one out here, because I loved the way Melissa wore the tiara and I think it was intentional. She wore it in the mediaeval fashion, which was consistent with the style of her dress and veil. The sleeves were short and modern, but otherwise she reminded me a lot of paintings I have seen of Eleanor of Aquitaine.

Last edited:
I heard there were crowds of people out to cheer the wedding of their duke. Always nice to see the public support for the nobility of Britain.:D

Seems I'm the odd one out here, because I loved the way Melissa wore the tiara and I think it was intentional. She wore it in the mediaeval fashion, which was consistent with the style of her dress and veil. The sleeves were short and modern, but otherwise she reminded me a lot of paintings I have seen of Eleanor of Aquitaine.

You are not the odd man out here -I have to agree here... I too loved the at she wore the tiara as well!

I don't see how anyone can seriously criticize Missy's bridal look. Simply beyond my comprehension.

I don't see how anyone can seriously criticize Missy's bridal look. Simply beyond my comprehension.

:previous:I totally agree. She looked fabulously medieval and modern simultaneously. And I've never seen a happier-looking bride.

i have nothing against that amazing tiara being worn and shown off on such a special day. would there be any better ocassion to use it? heads up to melissa for taking it out of the vaults and looking fab in it, much to our delight.

After seeing more photos at different angles, I've decided that I like the tiara, although in some photos it still looks like it's in a slightly odd position IMO. I thought Lady Melissa's dress was lovely and I particularly like the top part. I also really like the carriage! The gold bridesmaids dresses were nice, the only thing I didn't like about them was the neckline. I thought the little bridesmaid's and page boy's outfits were cute and I particularly liked the girl's pixie style dresses.

Here are two Getty Images galleries of the wedding:

Search - Getty Images UK: GBR: The Wedding Of Melissa Percy & Thomas Van Straubenzee
Search - Getty Images UK: GBR: The Wedding Of Melissa Percy & Thomas Van Straubenzee

Baroness of Books:

I agree with you, the tiara overwhelms her head. No style.

Very nice dress, very friendly looking bride, very nice bouquet. But the tiara... most of you won't agree but why is wearing such a crown. It almost looks as if she says look at me I have money I belong to the british nobility. Sorry but this is so over the top. And a lot of the guests look absolutely awfull. Why are some ladies wearing long dresses and others not?

Why are some ladies wearing long dresses and others not?

I understand maxi-skirts are back in fashion, so they are just wearing long versions of what are essentially afternoon dresses rather than eveningware. I think the mixture of styles does look odd, especially when the maxi dress is worn with a sparkly jacket.

Very nice dress, very friendly looking bride, very nice bouquet. But the tiara... most of you won't agree but why is wearing such a crown. It almost looks as if she says look at me I have money I belong to the british nobility. Sorry but this is so over the top. And a lot of the guests look absolutely awfull. Why are some ladies wearing long dresses and others not?

If that tiara were in my family - you would have to shoot me to not wear it to the wedding! Yes it is large and somewhat crown-ish, and I do not have good tiara hair, but you would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands to keep me from wearing it. What else would I do with it for heaven's sake! :cool:

If that tiara were in my family - you would have to shoot me to not wear it to the wedding! Yes it is large and somewhat crown-ish, and I do not have good tiara hair, but you would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands to keep me from wearing it. What else would I do with it for heaven's sake! :cool:

:previous: :lol: She's the daughter of a duke! If anyone can get away with wearing a somewhat crown-ish tiara, it's the daughter of a duke at her wedding.

I agree tiara was too big for her, but I loved it. That tiara is such masterpiece. I love her wedding gown too, she looked absolutely beautiful and so happy.

I like the fact that both Prince William and Prince Henry were ushers.
Another fine example of sharing duties with a pleasant attitude.

Heu... Lady Melissa comes from one of the most illustrious noble families in Britain, she marries at the amazing ancestral estate Alnwick Castle (build 11th Century!), her father is the 12th Duke of Northumberland, , one of the major landowners in the United Kingdom, the Percy family owns fantastic historic jewels, worn by generations, but she can NOT wear it because she is then "showing off"?

When the daughter of one of the most prestigious Dukes can not even wear her family heirlooms, who can??? I am happy Lady Melissa took the best family jewels out of the cassettes. Otherwise it is a plea to break up historic jewels because in your point of view they have become useless?

:flowers:

Last edited:

It's very common for women to wear tiaras when they get married if their families own one. Her family does. Why should she not wear it on her wedding day?

Thank goodness they do, or we'd never see these historic jewels!

No use having a nice wedding if you don't have a nice marriage.

Their divorce came through today.

"Daily Mail/Mail Online" has the details.

Back
Top Bottom