HRH Princess Kalina of Bulgaria and Kitin Muñoz 2002

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karima

Gentry
Country
France
Here what I found on Kalina's dress : The bride wore a cream-coloured two-piece wedding dress with jacket with embroiders and bands and white sandals and a belt that was similar to that which normally adorns the Bulgarian national dress, as well as a dropped veil. The dress was of Bulgarian design and made by local tailors and was inspired by Bulgarian folk costumes.

Princess Kalina of Bulgaria and Kitin Muñoz 2002

The wedding took place in Tsarska Bistrisa in October 2002.

Photos from Olycom:

Guests:
1. Simeon of Bulgaria
2. Beatriz de Oleans and her daughter
3. Lalla Asnaa of Morocco
4. Cristina of Spain and Iñaki Urdangarín
5. Miriam Ungaria of Bulgaria
6. Rosario Nadal of Bulgaria
7. Gloria von Turn und Taxis

Photo from Olycom:

: HOLA.com : El menú de la boda de Kalina de Bulgaria

The banquet started at 3:00 PM, in the palace of Tsarska Bístritska. All the plates served were Bulgarian and prepared by the Bulgarian chef, Danail Danailov.

As entrance, the guests tasted the traditional Bulgarian brandy (rayika) accompanied by a first plate: Skopska salad. The main plate served at the lunch was musaka. Finnally, it was served the preferred dessert of Princess Kalina: crêpes with fruit jam (bilberries).

Each plate was served in an elegant porcelain set that was taken to the palace of Tsarska Bístritsa, where the ceremony took place and where all the guests tasted this Bulgarian banquet.

(Photos from Hola and Olycom)

http://www.hola.com/abonados/moda/novias/2002/12/10/kalinadebulgaria/?auth=yes

The bride’s gown had a great ethnologic value, as it was inspired in the Bulgarian culture. Besides, Kalina recovered once again the traditions of her predecessors by donating her bride’s gown to the National Historical Museum of Bulgaria, where it is now placed among other objects that once belonged to the Bulgarian Royal Family, such as the branch of flowers that princess Maria Luisa - grandmother of king Simeon- took in her wedding day to king Ferdinand I, in 1870.

In return to her flattery, the princess received a special gift: a replica of an ancient boat (with more than 7000 years old), which was found in the Aegean Sea and that is now in the historical museum.

Another photo, from Corbis:

From Hola:

The religious ceremony was of an extreme simplicity and took place privatelly, under a great carp mounted at the palace of Tsarska Bístritsa, which was specially adorned for the occasion with candles and firs (two symbols of the mountains, where this historical event was celebrated). After the catholic ceremony, the couple went to the church of Preobrazhenie Gospodne, to receive the Orthodox blessings.

Princess Kalina wore a long sleeve costume and without any other adornments than a diamond brooch and a belt embroidered with folkloric motifs, which is characteristic of the Bulgarian regional customes from the mountains of Rhodope.

From Hola:

Kalina of Bulgaria would have liked to wear a wedding dress made by her dear friend Miguel Palacio. Nevertheless, the Princess resigned that wish, in order to pay tribute to her ancestors, her father, king Simeón, and specially to honour the Bulgarian people who answered with all their affection.

For this reason, Kalina chose an authentic dress of Bulgarian traditional inspiration, designed according to the traditions of Rhodope and wish was given to her by the executives of a cosmetic company of Rubella. The dress, whose cut resembled the typical tunics of Rhodope, has a great etnologic value and was made with the collaboration of local experts.
It was a long sleeved white dress, whose embroiderings were chosen by Kalina, who also decided where she wanted them to be placed. Aa accessoire, she chose a belt that usually adorns the traditional costumes of her country.
In spite of being Autumn, the Princess took white sandals of crossed strips and matching socks. The princess covered her head with a white veil, edged with a simple embroider and adorned with a diamond brooch, which belonged to the family of the bride and was placed as tiara.

Last edited:
Infanta Cristina and the Bulgarian princes, during the ceremony. From Hola:

th_05198_rosarionadal_a_122_401lo.jpg

I didn't like this wedding

nor the dress, nor the veil. I don't know...i believe Princess Kalina has always been an odd person.
I didn't like her outfit on the wedding

:previous: P Kalina has always been very artistic and flamboyant. At one point she had coloured her hair a strange hue. However it seems like motherhood has mellowed her out.
I agree that dress and veil looked very "old" and strange.

If it was designed to honor her ancestors, it would look "old and strange." Not what we would choose, but it suited her.

The dress and veil honored Bulgarian ancestors and probably, in a way, honored the people of Bulgaria. The veil was worn strangely to us, but it wasn't that bad and the dress was really pretty the more I study it.

The Catholic priest Georgi Yovchev conducted the ceremony as Kalina and Kitin are both Catholic. Kalina gave her bouquet, one flower at a time, to the people in front of the church who sang Bulgarian folk songs.

Belated congrats to the couple since this was in 2002. It seems a traditional quiet wedding and I kind of like the old-fashioned feeling of it.

I have to say, and this time I'm not doing a joke, the groom reminded me of our Spanish Habsburg royals in the 1700s, like an improved version of Charles/Carlos II of Spain.

This was Kitin in his younger days talking about his military experience back then.
https://www.elmundo.es/loc/famosos/2022/08/11/62ecb8f2fc6c83915c8b4577.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom