The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Weddings: Non-Reigning Houses & Nobility

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well somebody did attend Prince and Princess Michael of Kent with their daughter Gabriella.
Don't see why Diana would have gone to this wedding, I doubt she would have been close to any other royals if she were still here.
HM and Prince Phillip IMO are too old to travel now, wherever it is, especially seeing as Greece is very hot this time of year.
I didn't expect Charles or Camilla to attend, but it would have been nice, I don't think it has to do with snobbery, this was a family event and family were invited.
How come? The Dutch were not family and yet they were invited and they went. And the Heir of Norway is more distant a relative of King Constantine's family than Prince Philip.
The answer is one and clear and everybody understood it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
What people don't realize is a majority of the royals at the wedding were related in somehow since some people don't seem to comprehend I'll break it down

Aunt of the groom: Queen Sofia, Queen Margrethe, Princess Irene

Cousin of the groom: Felipe, Letizia, Elena, Cristina, Inaki, Mary, Joachim, Marie

Prince Michael of Kent's mother was a Princess of Greece & Denmark which makes him one of the closest related of the British Royal Family.

Victoria & Daniel probably went most likely since earlier this summer Nikolaos & Tatiana went to theirs. Haakon of Norway and Nikolaos are also third cousins, through Anne-Marie and fourth cousins, through Constantine

So that leaves Hakoon, Madeleine, Carl-Philip, Rosario Nadal, Farah Pahlavi, Maxima, & Willem-Alexander as the only ones not related or having a good reason, so I dont find it a snub from the brits when so many royal houses reigning or not weren't represented!
Partly incorrect statement. Victoria's grandfather and the late queen Ingrid were brothers. This makes Victoria and Nikolaos second counsins, thus still close. The same, obviously applies to Carl-Philip and Madeleine. Now, Nikolaos is Haakon's third cousin through Anne-Marie and fourth cousin, through his father, King Constantine.
Prince Charles and Nikolaos are second cousins once removed, thus less close than Victoria and Nikolaos, but more close than Haakon and Nikolaos

Old 08-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaha Karatsokaros View Post
Partly incorrect statement. Victoria's grandfather and the late queen Ingrid were brothers. This makes Victoria and Nikolaos second counsins, thus still close. The same, obviously applies to Carl-Philip and Madeleine. Now, Nikolaos is Haakon's third cousin through Anne-Marie and fourth cousin, through his father, King Constantine.
Prince Charles and Nikolaos are second cousins once removed, thus less close than Victoria and Nikolaos, but more close than Haakon and Nikolaos
And the duke of Edinburgh is closer than prince Michael while Charles, Anne, Andrew, Edward are as close as prince Michael is.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Administrator

I am not sure why there is a big to do about who and who did not attend and who is related to who?

Above all this is Nikolaos and Tatiana's wedding day, and I am sure they appreciated the presence of those who made the trek to Greece and understood that some because of a variety of issues were unable to make it.

As I said before, no one else needed to show up except Nikolaos and Tatiana for it to be a wonderful day for those two. Well, except the priest and their parents.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Why would it be ridiculous to be present of a wedding of a family member?!
I said it would be ridiculous to expect them to attend. Why is there always such an uproar when the British royals don't attend? Like all weddings that require travel, not everyone can attend (maybe they were busy).
Old 08-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Well anyone can be blood family but if you're not raised with them as your family and only as your colleagues it doesn't matter if they're your 3rd cousin twice removed and so on, family is not about blood it's about love...
Old 08-31-2010, 12:35 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I am not sure why there is a big to do about who and who did not attend and who is related to who?

Above all this is Nikolaos and Tatiana's wedding day, and I am sure they appreciated the presence of those who made the trek to Greece and understood that some because of a variety of issues were unable to make it.

As I said before, no one else needed to show up except Nikolaos and Tatiana for it to be a wonderful day for those two. Well, except the priest and their parents.
You are absolutely right!!
However, some people have said that it was a family occasion and that those who attended were family members. Well, this is not true. It is crystal-clear that it was not just a family occasion and that there were "vocal" absences. In my humble opinion, there was probably some vague suggestion to European monarchs, or understanding, to keep the event as low-key as possible.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Well is anyone from the BRF, the duchy or Monaco related to the Greek Royals?
If they aren't, I'm not surprised that they didn't come.
Absolutely, yes. Through her current marriage, princess Caroline of Monaco and King Constantine are first cousins.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:47 AM
Nobility

I'm sorry for being late to the game but did any of the British royals attend?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:47 AM
Nobility

The Countess of wessex?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:51 AM
Gentry

I believe Prince Michael of Kent, Princess Michael of Kent and Gabriella Windsor attended the wedding.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Absolutely, yes. Through her current marriage, princess Caroline of Monaco and King Constantine are first cousins.
CORRECT! Nevertheless, considering the actual "strange" situation of her marriage with Prince EA, I would be astonished if Caroline attended alone without EA!
And she didn't
Old 08-31-2010, 03:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessDianafan View Post
I'm sorry for being late to the game but did any of the British royals attend?
Quote:
The Countess of wessex?
Nope, Prince Michael, Princess Michael of Kent and Lady Gabriella Windsor.

Quote:
However, some people have said that it was a family occasion and that those who attended were family members. Well, this is not true. It is crystal-clear that it was not just a family occasion and that there were "vocal" absences.
Well the majority of people who attended the wedding, were family members so it was mainly a family wedding?

And what "vocal" absences?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And what "vocal" absences?
I would say
- Prince Michael of Greece, or at least his wife or one of his daughters!
- Prince Charles, or anyone of his siblings. Personnally I never expected the Queen, it is normal that she would not go, she never goes abroad for such events.
- Prince EA (alone)
Old 08-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Royal Highness

Certainly one of the Grimadis could have attended . I do not buy this thing that PA was supporting his niece's diving efforts to pass by the wedding of a royal he may need at his wedding next year.And this wedding has the hooks in it for bringing to it people for the other weddings.- the Spanish contingent as Sofia is sister to Constantine and it was the only royal wedding in this modern era that I recall on a Greek Isle. How beautiful is that?A once in a lifetime chance ..............
Old 08-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
I do not buy this thing that PA was supporting his niece's diving efforts to pass by the wedding of a royal he may need at his wedding next year.
Albert needs no one at his wedding except his family, his fiancee and a priest.

Is Prince Albert any relation to Nikoloas, have they ever met?
He is supporting his neice at one of the biggest events of her life.
Prince Frederik, Nikolaos' own cousin, did not attend the wedding because he was in Singapore for two days.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

The photos are fantastic! Are there no videos?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Nobility

Is it true that at the Royal Greek weddings the bride and groom don't say I do. I heard something about this and that's why Pavlos and Marie Chantal had to register the wedding after their honeymoon.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Is it true that at the Royal Greek weddings the bride and groom don't say I do. I heard something about this and that's why Pavlos and Marie Chantal had to register the wedding after their honeymoon.
In Greek religious wedding bride and groom do not tyalk at all, but they sign their acceptance immediately after the ceremony, so the ceremony is legally valid.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:28 AM
Nobility

Looking at Tatiana in some photos she resembles the young Robin Wright Penn. Facially, speaking of course. What do you think. I think she looks like the actress during the Princess Bride era. What is Tatiana's official title? HRH Princess Nikolaos of Greece?
Old 09-01-2010, 04:28 AM
Nobility

Thanks for the clarification Fandesacs2003