HRH Prince Nikolaos of Greece and Tatiana Blatnik: August 25, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i loved seeing the pics of the wedding, what a nice royal get-together. i was surprised there was such an important royal presence, even from the netherlands.

the ladies looked beautiful, i loved maxima's and letizia's dresses particularly. it's nice to see victoria with daniel, she is certainly glowing! we saw her so many times attending events by herself waiting for this moment to happen that this must be such a thrilling experience for her.

i don't think i really like tatiana's dress. however, i liked the detail of choosing a venezuelan designer in honour of her heritage. i'm not sure who chose those horrible dresses for the bridesmaids either.

are there any pictures of the royal invitees in the party together?

Last edited:
If Prince William shows up for christenings, weddings or funerals, he will stole the show ; that is the reason perhaps he never assisted to royal foreign events ?

He's only, as far as I know, been invited to the Swedish Wedding and at in that case I don't think he would have "stole the show" but it would have made a story. If he had attended here, yes he probably would have.

The BRF is half a generation off

Prince Charles is 20+ years older than the other heirs to the thrones. He's also old for his age. It's not that unusual that he doesn't have much in common with the others. William's peers are children.

Prince Charles is 20+ years older than the other heirs to the thrones. He's also old for his age. It's not that unusual that he doesn't have much in common with the others. William's peers are children.

He has attended almost all the royal heir weddings bar 3 I think.
He might not have anything in common with the bride/groom but it is courtesy that the heirs attend the other heir wedding.

But this discussion doesn't bear on this wedding, because it was the wedding of the second son of a non-reigning king, I didn't expect him to attend but he doesn't have an excuse like HM and Prince Phillip does.

Cogratulations Prince Nikolaos & Princess Tatiana

CP Letizia beautiful, where is CP Mette-Marit

:previous:

Aren't they Prince and Princess Nikolaos (cf. Crown Princess Pavlos, Princess Andrew, etc)?

I think it's ridiculous to expect the British Royal Family to attend the wedding of a second son of a non-reigning former monarch. With the exception of those closely related (Spain and Denmark, maybe Sweden) I think it shouldn't be taken for granted that any royals attend.

I've always heard that Charles and Constantine were/are close friends, I was surprised he did not attend to this wedding already Constantine is such close friend who's godfather of William too.

I do not think that if Diana was alive she would attend this wedding, but I do not doubt that she attended/been invited to Chelsea Clinton' wedding.

I know Edward & Sophie are somehow "the official representative of BRF" for weddings. Anyone knows if Edward & Sophie have some friendship/closeness with GRF?

I think it's ridiculous to expect the British Royal Family to attend the wedding of a second son of a non-reigning former monarch. With the exception of those closely related (Spain and Denmark, maybe Sweden) I think it shouldn't be taken for granted that any royals attend.
The royal families are a close group of not many people and they all know each other besides being related in one way or another. Why would they not attend the wedding? They are there as relatives and/or friends. There is probably a lot more contact between the royal houses than we know from the press. CP Victora stated in an interview when Felipe and Letizia were in Stockholm not long after their wedding that she had been in Spain and visited shortly after Felipe's and Letizia's engagement on what must have been a private trip and that had not reported on anywhere.

I am a little late to the party, but here are my observations so far:

Tatiana's bridal gown was simpler than what I expected, but lovely still. It showed off her beautiful slimness. The veil and tiara were stunning. :flowers:

Theodora's pink gown was just gorgeous on her...the best I have ever seen her look..I usually think she looks borderline chubby, but not this time.

Infanta Cristina is a very thin woman...but either she is pregnant again or that black/grey print dress is just unfortunate and unflattering.:sad: Her face looked glowing, however.

Letizia's blue Grecian goddess gown was GORGEOUS...I loved it the best of all the gowns with Theodora's pink a close second. :)

I would never have guessed that those young women in the sparkly gowns were bridesmaids. Never. They looked like showgirls or game show hostesses..at the very least they should have all pinned up their hair to look more elegant...instead of Las Vegas! :ermm: Some brides deliberately assign ugly dresses to their bridesmaids so as not to be upstaged, but I cannot imagine that being upstaged was something the supremely elegant Tatiana was concerned about.

If Princess Madeleine is "fat", then I want to be fat too...badly! She looks as amazing as ever!

It was obviously very warm on Spetses, and probably humid too. I am very impressed at how cool and together everyone looked. I especially loved the one-shoulder look evening gowns on several of the women.

I'm not saying they shouldn't or wouldn't go, I'm just saying it's a bit much to take it as a duty.

I don't blame them for not going! did you see how close the crowd was to the church? There was no security if someone wanted to kill a royal they could of done it in a heartbeat! The only royal I saw with Security was Queen Margrethe. And anyway this wasn't a typical royal wedding it was a family wedding with 80 people in the church....
Diana did go to Greece many times without security - in fact she returned to Paris that fateful summer I believe from Greece and she had been there previously for a funeral that same year again without great security..... and she died without it..not in Greece and at a function................THis is not about ascribing blame and not about security- because sometimes with all the security in the world they can get you and yet with none which was hardly needed here they are not coming anyway. THis is about a lot of other issues.
IF The Empress Farah who is one ofthe highest ranking royals in the world could go then the others may have wanted to follow suit.

What people don't realize is a majority of the royals at the wedding were related in somehow since some people don't seem to comprehend I'll break it down

Aunt of the groom: Queen Sofia, Queen Margrethe, Princess Irene

Cousin of the groom: Felipe, Letizia, Elena, Cristina, Inaki, Mary, Joachim, Marie

Prince Michael of Kent's mother was a Princess of Greece & Denmark which makes him one of the closest related of the British Royal Family.

Victoria & Daniel probably went most likely since earlier this summer Nikolaos & Tatiana went to theirs.

So that leaves Hakoon, Madeleine, Carl-Philip, Rosario Nadal, Farah Pahlavi, Maxima, & Willem-Alexander as the only ones not related or having a good reason, so I dont find it a snub from the brits when so many royal houses reigning or not weren't represented!

I didn't see ANYONE from the Belgian RF, or the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg..or the Principality of Monaco...a little disappointing.:ermm:

Well is anyone from the BRF, the duchy or Monaco related to the Greek Royals?
If they aren't, I'm not surprised that they didn't come.

Lumutqueen, the former Empress of Iran is not related to the GRF as far as I know, and she was a guest.

Why would it be ridiculous to be present of a wedding of a family member?! Other than Belgium, Monaco, etc., the BRF IS related to the Greek Royal family indeed!
Prcss Alexia is even behind Nikolaos in the greek line of succession (if there was still a throne), and many members of the BRF (including The Queen herself) attended. So, that Nik. is "2nd son of a non reigneing monarch" is not the point.

Well somebody did attend Prince and Princess Michael of Kent with their daughter Gabriella.
Don't see why Diana would have gone to this wedding, I doubt she would have been close to any other royals if she were still here.
HM and Prince Phillip IMO are too old to travel now, wherever it is, especially seeing as Greece is very hot this time of year.
I didn't expect Charles or Camilla to attend, but it would have been nice, I don't think it has to do with snobbery, this was a family event and family were invited.

How come? The Dutch were not family and yet they were invited and they went. And the Heir of Norway is more distant a relative of King Constantine's family than Prince Philip.
The answer is one and clear and everybody understood it

What people don't realize is a majority of the royals at the wedding were related in somehow since some people don't seem to comprehend I'll break it down

Aunt of the groom: Queen Sofia, Queen Margrethe, Princess Irene

Cousin of the groom: Felipe, Letizia, Elena, Cristina, Inaki, Mary, Joachim, Marie

Prince Michael of Kent's mother was a Princess of Greece & Denmark which makes him one of the closest related of the British Royal Family.

Victoria & Daniel probably went most likely since earlier this summer Nikolaos & Tatiana went to theirs. Haakon of Norway and Nikolaos are also third cousins, through Anne-Marie and fourth cousins, through Constantine

So that leaves Hakoon, Madeleine, Carl-Philip, Rosario Nadal, Farah Pahlavi, Maxima, & Willem-Alexander as the only ones not related or having a good reason, so I dont find it a snub from the brits when so many royal houses reigning or not weren't represented!

Partly incorrect statement. Victoria's grandfather and the late queen Ingrid were brothers. This makes Victoria and Nikolaos second counsins, thus still close. The same, obviously applies to Carl-Philip and Madeleine. Now, Nikolaos is Haakon's third cousin through Anne-Marie and fourth cousin, through his father, King Constantine.
Prince Charles and Nikolaos are second cousins once removed, thus less close than Victoria and Nikolaos, but more close than Haakon and Nikolaos

Last edited by a moderator:
Partly incorrect statement. Victoria's grandfather and the late queen Ingrid were brothers. This makes Victoria and Nikolaos second counsins, thus still close. The same, obviously applies to Carl-Philip and Madeleine. Now, Nikolaos is Haakon's third cousin through Anne-Marie and fourth cousin, through his father, King Constantine.
Prince Charles and Nikolaos are second cousins once removed, thus less close than Victoria and Nikolaos, but more close than Haakon and Nikolaos

And the duke of Edinburgh is closer than prince Michael while Charles, Anne, Andrew, Edward are as close as prince Michael is.

I am not sure why there is a big to do about who and who did not attend and who is related to who?

Above all this is Nikolaos and Tatiana's wedding day, and I am sure they appreciated the presence of those who made the trek to Greece and understood that some because of a variety of issues were unable to make it.

As I said before, no one else needed to show up except Nikolaos and Tatiana for it to be a wonderful day for those two.:flowers: Well, except the priest and their parents.

Why would it be ridiculous to be present of a wedding of a family member?!

I said it would be ridiculous to expect them to attend. Why is there always such an uproar when the British royals don't attend? Like all weddings that require travel, not everyone can attend (maybe they were busy).

Last edited:

Well anyone can be blood family but if you're not raised with them as your family and only as your colleagues it doesn't matter if they're your 3rd cousin twice removed and so on, family is not about blood it's about love...

I am not sure why there is a big to do about who and who did not attend and who is related to who?

Above all this is Nikolaos and Tatiana's wedding day, and I am sure they appreciated the presence of those who made the trek to Greece and understood that some because of a variety of issues were unable to make it.

As I said before, no one else needed to show up except Nikolaos and Tatiana for it to be a wonderful day for those two.:flowers: Well, except the priest and their parents.
You are absolutely right!!
However, some people have said that it was a family occasion and that those who attended were family members. Well, this is not true. It is crystal-clear that it was not just a family occasion and that there were "vocal" absences. In my humble opinion, there was probably some vague suggestion to European monarchs, or understanding, to keep the event as low-key as possible.

Well is anyone from the BRF, the duchy or Monaco related to the Greek Royals?
If they aren't, I'm not surprised that they didn't come.

Absolutely, yes. Through her current marriage, princess Caroline of Monaco and King Constantine are first cousins.

I believe Prince Michael of Kent, Princess Michael of Kent and Gabriella Windsor attended the wedding.

Back
Top Bottom