HI&RH Prince Georg Friedrich & HSH Princess Sophie von Isenburg, Aug 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Were you speaking of Frederick William I? While your previous comment made me shrug, this one made me laugh. One single person's character can never define a nation, not even his/her own family. Aggressive persons can be found anywhere and in any period of time, but we never blame there descendants for having such ancestors. Do not be deceived by stereotypes.

It is just one memoir that I named as an example. The Prussian RF certainly was not a happy family and the individuals of that family didn't count much, were they daughters, sons or wifes. And that shows in their memoirs - and the reasons for that.

As for the political individual - just look at the history of the rise of Prussia to become the leading nation of Germany at all costs: successful but ruthless. Ponder the reasoning why the king of Prussia did not become German emperor in 1948 - he did not want a crown offered by the people's representatives...

And I don't blame Georg Friedrich for his ancestors. I just don't want a Prussian Hohenzollern as Head of my State.

...what do You mean "do they call themselves highnesses"? When they are speaking to each other?
no, I meant do they refer to themselves officially as HH, HRH, HSH?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can find the discussion about the title in the forum of non reigning families - german and austrian families.

Sophie was a Serene Highness until her wedding and now she is at least a Royal highness like the other prussians. It's under discussion if Georg ( and so Sophie) is also an imperial highness.
All princes and princesses of the prussian were always royal hignesses, even in imperial times. Only the crown prince couple had the title imperial and royal highness, because the Imperor was just elected.
The last real imperial highness was his grandfather Louis Ferdinand, because he became head of the house and was born before the monarchy was abolished.
Actually Georg shouldn't be imperial highness anymore, but some people are so polite to call him like that.

That's just a little explanation - please let's stay at the topic WEDDING.

I actually loved the wedding dress, no boring lacey gown but something different for a change. They both look very in love.

Thank you Iceflower for these photographs. It was a lovely wedding. Prince Geprge Friedrich was so very handsome whilst Princess Sophie von Isenburg was absolutely beautiful. A very classic and elegant bride. They both look so very happy together.

Last edited:
I saw info in website oggi.it that princess Margherita of Savoy-Aosta attended the wedding but I don't remember to have seen her on photos.

I'm sorry if the question has been answered, I did not have the time to go through all the thread. Did any of the Hannover show up? Prince Ernst August, or one of his sons???
I think they are related, EA paternal granmother was daughter of Kaiser Wilhelm (II I think)

Last edited:
Did any of the Hannover show up? Prince Ernst August, or one of his sons???

Not that I'm aware of. I've seen all the photos, etc. EA wasn't there, and his wife Princess Caroline certainly wasn't there. I'm not sure I recognize EA's sons on sight, but I don't remember seeing the Hanover name at all.

First off, I would like to extend my congratulations to their I&R Highnesses. May they have a long, loving, and happy marriage.

Second, please do not kill me, but this was one of the WORST dressed royal or non-royal weddings I have ever seen. I am sorry, but most of these women looked terrible.

Now, before everyone goes off on me about fashion, Europeans, etc., it is the bride's day, and to try and pull off outfits, shoes, hair (Who was that?? Morticia Adams with the long, black hair?!?!?). Think about your outfits and whose special day it is.

I thought Sophie looked lovely. The gown, per se, may not be my style, but was edgy and daring and she looked radiant as a bride.

Last edited:
I thought Sophie looked lovery. The gown, per se, may not be my style, but was edgy and daring and she looked radiant as a bride.

I'm picturing it sans bolero jacket-train, with a new Order of the Something, the Prussian Meander tiara, and other assorted diamonds and she's looking very regal (and somewhat similar to CPss Letizia).

Last edited:
Did any of the Hannover show up?
Princess Monika of Hannover attended the wedding. She is the widow of the late Prince Ernst August (IV), and the stepmother of the current Prince Ernst August.

You can find the discussion about the title in the forum of non reigning families - german and austrian families.

Sophie was a Serene Highness until her wedding and now she is at least a Royal highness like the other prussians. It's under discussion if Georg ( and so Sophie) is also an imperial highness.
All princes and princesses of the prussian were always royal hignesses, even in imperial times. Only the crown prince couple had the title imperial and royal highness, because the Imperor was just elected.
The last real imperial highness was his grandfather Louis Ferdinand, because he became head of the house and was born before the monarchy was abolished.
Actually Georg shouldn't be imperial highness anymore, but some people are so polite to call him like that.

That's just a little explanation - please let's stay at the topic WEDDING.

Dear Seraphine, Dear Auntie,

this is so not just accurate. The Emperor of the German Empire was not elected. I addressed this topic in this forum on another site "Titles, Legal Status, Precedence and other related matters of the Hohenzollerns". The German Empire formed a Federation of souvereign states. To say it clearly: There was NO prince ranking higher than others. The chairman of the presidium of the German Empire was named German Kaiser and was hereditary in the line of the Kings of Prussia. By this the German Kaiser was "primus inter pares" (first among equals). So the Royal House of Prussia did not became the Imperial House of Germany, which would have ment that the other kings and princes would be "down ranked". There would have been no majority among the German Princes to form a Kaiser von (of) Germany.
So You can speak of the title of German Kaiser just as an official title of the head of state. There was only one other official title used by a Prussian Prince and this was the title of the Kronprinz des Deutschen Reiches (Crown Prince of the German Empire) which was used by the Prussian Crown Prince. All other Sons of the King of Prussia (and German Kaiser) stayed Prince of Prussia. So there never had been an "Imperial House" of Prussia.

You cand find the whole text here:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...of-the-hohenzollerns-17019-2.html#post1289316

Prince Louis Ferdinand was addressed (also by politely reasons, except for monarchists) Imperial Highness and Royal Highness because he was born in 1907 before the monarchy was abolished and was the heir to the throne. He became head of the house of Prussia in 1951 when Crown Prince Wilhelm died.

Sorry for the little excursion but I think such facts are important.

Regards
Alex R.

I'm picturing it sans bolero jacket-train, with a new Order of the Something, the Prussian Meander tiara, and other assorted diamonds and she's looking very regal

Yes! I agree that the dress would improve substantially sans the blouse-like top part. I do think that you're being very kind and generous to call it a "bolero jacket".... I usually think of a bolero jacket as something more along these lines
(scroll down): Fall Checklist, Part 1: Our Top Fall Trends To Take Home Now

It would have been so much better without the collar and especially without those terrible lapels!

Lovely photos, Al_bina! So nice to see them without the watermarks. Also some new ones that I have not seen. Thank you for sharing. :)

Can anybody post pictures of the back of the gown? Or post links that have good shots of the train and veil? They were available on some of the news sites, but the links have "shifted" and now I can't find the pics! (I should have known to save the pics when I was looking at them the other day!)

I just loved Princress Sophie's gown. So chic. So timeless and so elegant. The designer Wolfgang Joop really created a master piece. The bias pleated bodice was simple and beautiful. The bolero jacket with soft lapels just complimented the entire picture. The classic tiara and long veil were just too enchanting for words. A truely lovely gown for a very radiant bride.

Last edited:
I saw info in website oggi.it that princess Margherita of Savoy-Aosta attended the wedding but I don't remember to have seen her on photos.

No photos of her, but she was seen several times in the live streaming: she was sitting behind the bride's mother, between the bride's sister and her son, archduke Martin. She was wearing pink, with a big hat.

No photos of her, but she was seen several times in the live streaming: she was sitting behind the bride's mother, between the bride's sister and her son, archduke Martin. She was wearing pink, with a big hat.

Thank you Amadea- it means that I will need to check some video instead of photos...

For amedea

151: I'm pretty sure she is a Princess of Prussia, too, or at least related to GF in some way. I have seen her before but can't remember her name.

That's Princess Monika of Hanover (stepmother of Prince Ernst August) of course. How could not know her name...:cool:

To Amadea
I should like to see her with her Aosta tiara she loans always to Princess Astrid of the Belgians. We have no pictures of the glittering event (50 tiaras) inside Sans Souci SAD!

The gala dinner wasn't at Sanssoucci but at the Orangery. And I have heard that they are photos available on other forums that royal watchers who were in Potsdam have taken. So we will have to wait until they will hopefully post them on their respective blogs.

The bunte brings a special about the couple tomorrow. May be they have a special contract and show the pictures exclusively.

Because: it doesn't make any sense to say "The bride will wear the Mäander tiara" and then not to show just one single picture.

Here are two pictures of the bride plus one of her sister, the Princess of Wied.

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Okay, here we go...

Remember not to post them anywhere else ;)

It's just as I'd imagined (minus the order and more diamonds)!

Here is a picture of Isabelle's wedding - same tiara, same setting on the hat.

Royal Weddings Message Board: weddingpicture Wied/Isenburg

That looks like a different tiara than Sophie's wedding tiara to me, but maybe it's just the angle.

It's just as I'd imagined (minus the order and more diamonds)!

That looks like a different tiara than Sophie's wedding tiara to me, but maybe it's just the angle.

Compare: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

May be the Isenburgs have two tiaras ?

There is no reason why Katahrina's wedding tiara is an austrian tiara, because in that way Isabelle, who married 6 years before, wouldn't have worn it.

http://members3.boardhost.com/Oranjes/

Last edited:
Thanks for all the photos with diaras. What a relief for all the Ladies here ;-)
Thank You Seraphine for the hint concerning the BUNTE tomorrow.
It is so sad the rhe rbb did not post a camera at the entrance of the Orangerie. It was planned that they could do so. Maybe they backed off because of the negativ criticism they got reporting live three hours from the wedding itself. But I really cannot say.

Regards
Alex R.

Compare: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

May be the Isenburgs have two tiaras ?

There is no reason why Katahrina's wedding tiara is an austrian tiara, because in that way Isabelle, who married 6 years before, wouldn't have worn it.

Glittering Royal Events Message Board
I am pretty sure that it is the same floral tiara. It only looks different on Sophie because of her sleek hairstyle. On both her sisters the tiara base sinks into the hair so that we see less of the tiara and the impression is different.
Thanks for all the photos with diaras. What a relief for all the Ladies here ;-)
Thank You Seraphine for the hint concerning the BUNTE tomorrow.
It is so sad the rhe rbb did not post a camera at the entrance of the Orangerie. It was planned that they could do so. Maybe they backed off because of the negativ criticism they got reporting live three hours from the wedding itself. But I really cannot say.

Regards
Alex R.
It is still strange that there were no photographers at the Orangerie entrance. But I'm not yet giving up hope for more pictures to appear. Those pictures of Sophie with the meander tiara are a real treat. She looks so elegant and the tiara is stunning.

Back
Top Bottom