HI&RH Prince Georg Friedrich & HSH Princess Sophie von Isenburg, Aug 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not a big fan of the weddingdress, even that it look very nice on here. But here tiara was amazing, i love it. Anyone know something about that tiara?:)

What is the relationship between Prince Georg Friedrich and the "tsaravich"/Grand Duke Georgi of Russia who is also a Prince of Prussia? Second cousins? Or are they farther removed than that?

No pic abut the new Princess of Preussen wearing the meander tiara?

Was it really many people or just afew noisy ones who make a habit of being upset?
I heard that they were only about 80 people. Next to nothing, when compared to 700 invited guests and thousands of well-wishers. They certainly didn't manage to spoil the day.

What is the relationship between Prince Georg Friedrich and the "tsaravich"/Grand Duke Georgi of Russia who is also a Prince of Prussia? Second cousins? Or are they farther removed than that?

They are second cousins as descendants of grand-duke Kirill of Russia and third cousins as descendants of emperor Wilhelm II of Germany.

Was Prince Franz Wilhelm at the wedding? He is the father of the Russian Tsarevitch & former husband of GD Maria Romanov - who were both at the wedding.
Thanks,
Jeannie

What matters is that the happy couple is just that .... happy !

I liked this wedding more than the Monaco wedding, I'm sad to say.

I'm glad they are so happy together. Loved the hair and tiara like most of you and I'm sorry that dress was just not attractive! I thought the bottom was just odd and the top wasn't much better just really boring! I preferred her civil ceremony outfit, what happened? Glad the horse is ok maybe it saw the dress and fainted. Actually makes me like Kate's more! What is very clear is that these two are in love so her fashion sense doesn't bother him.

They are second cousins as descendants of grand-duke Kirill of Russia and third cousins as descendants of emperor Wilhelm II of Germany.

Here are some of the relationships between them.
GD Kyril - GD Vladimir - Gdss Maria - GD George
GD Kyril - Gdss Kira - Prince Lois ferdinand (Prussia) - Prince Georg Friedirch (so second cousins)

also

E Wilhelm Germany - Cp Wilhelm - Prince Louis Ferdinand - Prince Louis Ferdinand - Prince George Friedrich
W Wilhelm - Prince Joachim - P Karl Franz Joseph - P Franz Wilhelm - GD George (3rd cousins)

Also

Q Victoria - Princess Victoria - E Wilhelm - and so forth
Q Victoria - P Alfred Duke of Saxe Coburg - Princess Victoria Melita - Gd Vladimir - Gdss Maria - Gd Georgie (4th cousins once removed)

Im sure there are others

Gala dinner time :flowers:

The Prince and Princess of Hohenzollern
http://i53.tinypic.com/20h0civ.jpg

The Margrave and Margravine of Baden
http://i54.tinypic.com/2e1zt51.jpg

Prince Leopold and Princess Ursula of Bavaria
http://i52.tinypic.com/mmrg2q.jpg

Count Björn and Countess Sandra Bernadotte
http://i51.tinypic.com/20tqn0j.jpg

Archduke Georg, Archduchess Eilika and Archduchess Gabriella of Austria
http://i55.tinypic.com/2igjg38.jpg

Prince Stephan Leopold and Princess Maria of Lippe
http://i53.tinypic.com/xmrfdk.jpg

The Prince and Princess of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg
http://i55.tinypic.com/11cfrj7.jpg

More to come...

The Hereditary Prince and Princess Stephanie of Baden with Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg
http://i55.tinypic.com/a44yg5.jpg

The Orsini Family
http://i51.tinypic.com/1496o80.jpg

Prince Franz Wilhelm of Prussia
http://i52.tinypic.com/2mmtz5y.jpg

Grand Princess Maria and Grand Prince Georgi of Russia
http://i56.tinypic.com/mmzxhe.jpg

The Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and Princess Kelly
http://i56.tinypic.com/2hf29vc.jpg

The Prince and Princess of Schaumburg-Lippe
http://i56.tinypic.com/fksb9w.jpg

Count Rudolf of Schönburg-Glauchau and Princess Marie Louise of Prussia
http://i52.tinypic.com/wtxeyx.jpg

Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor
http://i56.tinypic.com/2rhn53s.jpg

Unfortunately I haven't seen one single picture of Sophie from the evening event...

I don't think there has been such a large gathering of non reigning royalty and nobility as was in this wedding. At functions as these do they call themselves highnesses? or HRH?
These members of long gone royalty are the last torch carriers of what a royal is meant to look like and behave like. I think they feel they have to bc of their unsure status

The lack of pictures of the evening guests is frustrating. We have only seen a fraction of them, and no pic of the bride or the immediate family.
I hope that they will release pictures of the bride with the Prussian meander tiara. Why else should they announce beforehand that Sophie was going to wear it?

It was a wonderful wedding yesterday. It was very romantic and the sermon was very good. The Royal Couple looked really happy, they are so very natural and totally in love.

A great day to see what this country could be.

Regards
Alex R.

I don't think there has been such a large gathering of non reigning royalty and nobility as was in this wedding. At functions as these do they call themselves highnesses? or HRH?
These members of long gone royalty are the last torch carriers of what a royal is meant to look like and behave like. I think they feel they have to bc of their unsure status

Dear Auntie

what do You mean "do they call themselves highnesses"? When they are speaking to each other?
You can take for granted that they call themselves by their names, respectivly by their nicknames. For example Prince Leopold von Bayern is known even to the public by his nickname "Poldi", and thats what he is called, his wife Princess Ursula is called Uschi.

Regards
Alex R.

It was a wonderful wedding yesterday. It was very romantic and the sermon was very good. The Royal Couple looked really happy, they are so very natural and totally in love.

Regards
Alex R.
Did you go to Potsdam yesterday? Being there must have been really special.

As much as I enjoy history, traditions and the fact that today's Royalty connects us to all this, I can't find it in me to be really interested in the Prussians - and the thought to have a Prussian prince on the throne of a Germany I live in gives me the shudders... The Prussian surely were one of the most ruthless and aggressive families of Germany's history who preferred sheer force to get what they wanted - Silesia anyone? Hannover? Hesse? Baden? There are still songs sung about Prussian oppression in other parts of Germany (like the "Badisches Wiegenlied" (lullaby of Baden), which is one of the most famous songs of the German folk tradition).

As much as I enjoyed looking at the pics of that seemingly nice couple - still I don't think that the Prussian history should give them any claim of leadership in a country which has struggled so hard and successful to overcome aggression and dictatorship with the living of democracy.

Regards
Alex R.

Nicely stated and I agree fully. The sermon was a comfortable blend of religious themes and peppered with a little humor. The ceremony was utterly beautiful in a real and simple, yet regal way. Much more endearing than the william/kate event, imho. A wonderful image and great public relations for Germany.

Are there any photos from the reception ball at Sansoucci? We have not yet seen Sophie in CP Cecilie's tiara.

Few more photos from the evening event:
- dukes of Braganza Newscom - Multimedia for Websites and Publishers[]&searchtype=newsearch&searchSet=no&searchSetName=&searchHZ=height&searchVT=width&daterng=

-prince and princess Alexander of Saxony Newscom - Multimedia for Websites and Publishers[]&searchtype=newsearch&searchSet=no&searchSetName=&searchHZ=height&searchVT=width&daterng=

-Furst and Furstin von Leiningen Newscom - Multimedia for Websites and Publishers[]&searchtype=newsearch&searchSet=no&searchSetName=&searchHZ=height&searchVT=width&daterng=

As much as I enjoy history, traditions and the fact that today's Royalty connects us to all this, I can't find it in me to be really interested in the Prussians - and the thought to have a Prussian prince on the throne of a Germany I live in gives me the shudders... The Prussian surely were one of the most ruthless and aggressive families of Germany's history who preferred sheer force to get what they wanted - Silesia anyone? Hannover? Hesse? Baden? There are still songs sung about Prussian oppression in other parts of Germany (like the "Badisches Wiegenlied" (lullaby of Baden), which is one of the most famous songs of the German folk tradition).

As much as I enjoyed looking at the pics of that seemingly nice couple - still I don't think that the Prussian history should give them any claim of leadership in a country which has struggled so hard and successful to overcome aggression and dictatorship with the living of democracy.

My Dear Kataryn,

the unfounded allegations You made are very rude. I should prefer that one criticizing themes the way You did should be better informed and have more than bare school knowledge. I know what was taught in history lessons in this country. I attended them too. But when You have a look into wider on-topic and also modern publications You will find results that differ a lot. Unfortunately this is not taught in class rooms - not because it is not true but because it does not fit into todays world picture. This results in opinions like Yours that make me shudder. Not because Your opinion is different from mine but because You and a lot more Germans could know better, if they just wanted. But same with other topics we tend to accept the easier way.
Back to Your examples:
First of all - and that is unregarded all the time - times were different in earlier times than today. Wars today need to be legitimized (preferebly by UN even with lies) that was different in the 18th Century. Despite that Prussia had had a legitimate claim to several Silesian counties and Principalities, it was not a strong one, but it was a claim. The Silesian People welcomed and greeted the Prussian troops warmly.

Hannover lost its sovereignty as a result of choosing the wrong ally in the 1866 war between Prussia and Austria over the leadership in Germany. The fact itself was a pathetic but also very normal act in those days. By the way the defeated Austria remained completely unaffected. But this war, like the other two of 1864 and 1871, that led to German unity was no result of Prussian aggression. These were the acts of the one and often hailed man: Bismarck, who in reality burried Prussia in letting it melt with Germany. The former King Wilhelm I (and then Kaiser Wilhelm I.) did not want that at all. The day he was proclaimed German Kaiser, he said: "today we carry Prussia to its grave".
Coming to Your next allegations this German Unity we just talked about was the result of the claims of the Liberals and Bourgeoisie relating back to 1848. These people did not made the liberal and democratic claims to make the life of the poor and hard working landliving people better. They just wanted to act instead of the Aristocracy and the Princes. In 1848 Prussian troops were called in from most German Principalities - especially Baden - to secure the power of the local Princes, because it had the biggest Army. It was not against the will of the local gouvernments. That these kind of old day propaganda songs had a special intention is clear. To say they drew the picture of reality I suppose is the same as speaking of stabbed Belgian babies in 1914 or destroyed incubators nowadays, which have been proofed lies of war propaganda (Noam Chomsky: Media Control).

It is interesting and I do not know whether it is mischief or just ignorance that the lots of positiv topics of Prussian history are never mentioned.
- Prussia was one of the first countries to celebrate religious freedom (Edikt von Potsdam in 1685)
- Prussia was the first state under the rule of law - Preußisches Landrecht 1794 (King Friedrich II. (the "evil aggressor" of Silesia) and Friedrich Wilhelm II. - in the time of absolute Monarchy in Europe and the World
- Friedrich II. acting to his motto "I am the first servant of the state"
- Stein Hardenbergsche reforms under Freidrich Wilhelm III. during and after the Napoleonic wars which paved the road for a constitutional state and modernized government
- all Kings provided better education for the people

Most wars Prussia had to fight were of defensive character. With a little more time I could also give You the numbers.

Concerning Your statement of the "most ruthless and aggressive family", especially for modern times, I want to add the name of Prince Louis Ferdinand, the grandfather of Prince Georg Friedrich, as the foremost example of the family to the contrary. Prince Louis Ferdinand was a cosmopolit, absolute anti-militaristic, anti-nazi and would have been one of the best Monarchs we could have had. In fact the Resistance against Hitler with such famous people as Carl Friedrich Goerdeler, Paul Loebe and other wanted Louis Ferdinand as Kaiser and King of Prussia after a Coup d'etat.

And least, please, not in this forum, do not tell me that when speaking of a modern German Monarch there was only the choice between "dictatorship and living democracy". It is sad enough that todays reporters do not know that there is no contradiction in monarchy and democracy.

Not being restricted to giving my arguments in English I could even be more eloquent to say why even because of the Prussian history Prince Georg Friedrich - besides that of the perspective of legitimism - has all the right of the claim the throne, which he actually does not even want.

Regards
Alex R.

Last edited:
Concerning Your statement of the "most ruthless and aggressive family", especially for modern times, I want to add the name of Prince Louis Ferdinand, the grandfather of Prince Georg Friedrich, as the foremost example of the family to the contrary. Prince Louis Ferdinand was a cosmopolit, absolute anti-militaristic, anti-nazi and would have been one of the best Monarchs we could have had. In fact the Resistance against Hitler with such famous people as Carl Friedrich Goerdeler, Paul Loebe and other wanted Louis Ferdinand as Kaiser and King of Prussia after a Coup d'etat.

I did not talk about the family after 1918. But if you read certain memoirs of members of the Prussian RF (like: "Ich war eine preussische Königstochter" by Wilhelmine of Prussia you'll see certain patterns of behaviour when it came to family and subjects alike that makes at least me wonder about the approach that again a member of that family should represent Germany.

The ceremony was utterly beautiful in a real and simple, yet regal way. Much more endearing than the william/kate event, imho.

Hmm Interesting. Could it be that William and Kate's were happening with a Reigning Royal Family with much more ceremonial embellishments?

I did'nt like her dress.I just did'nt like the fabric.

I'm still not sure on her dress, I can't tell if it's extremely hideous or extremely modern and beautiful! The wedding was very nice and very well planned as one can see! I was so happy to see the Duke and Duchess of Braganca there! It seems she wore the hat she wore to her daughters christening, talk about recycling!!! I hope she wore a different tiara than the one she wore in Monaco, I can't wait to see pictures of her tonight!

LOL! Exactly!

And this is why I love royal wedding so much. They're the only place where dowdy, ill-fitting, and WTF fashion statements somehow still appear completely regal.

I do like what the designer said about his inspiration for the dress (flowing water) and it comes though on the train and veil, which are quite lovely, but I'm not sure about the front. It manages to be too edgy and weirdly traditional at the same time. It also reminds me of Queen Rania's gown.

I covet that floral tiara!

I did not talk about the family after 1918. But if you read certain memoirs of members of the Prussian RF (like: "Ich war eine preussische Königstochter" by Wilhelmine of Prussia you'll see certain patterns of behaviour when it came to family and subjects alike that makes at least me wonder about the approach that again a member of that family should represent Germany.

Were you speaking of Frederick William I? While your previous comment made me shrug, this one made me laugh. One single person's character can never define a nation, not even his/her own family. Aggressive persons can be found anywhere and in any period of time, but we never blame there descendants for having such ancestors. Do not be deceived by stereotypes.

Most brides wear their dream wedding gown on their very special day. Often the bride has planned this day since being a young girl. For someone to be so rude and using a language that has absolutely no place here is indeed very sad. No need to use royal wedding discussion boards to unleash your own issues. There are plenty of other websites where your language will fit in just right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pam Anderson wore a bikini on her wedding day. A bikini! I have no doubt Pam was very happy, but I'm still going to mock Pam for that choice of "gown."

And maybe if you read my post more closely, you would note I actually paid Sophie several compliments, and nor am I going to censor my opinion just because you seem to think nobody should be able to say their honest opinion about how a bride looks on her wedding day. You are neither a mod nor the Official Royal Wedding Fashion Police, therefore I will continue to speak my mind as I see fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom