The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Weddings: Non-Reigning Houses & Nobility

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Heir Apparent

It's so ironic, because I have read a little about Katie's idol Empress Zita. She was a hard core traditionalist and a snob who probably would have moved Heaven and Earth to keep an American commoner like Ms. Walker out of her family.

She simply would have been appalled.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
More expensive than Le Rosey? Guillaume went there as well

jonc93 I agree with everything you said though I still have doubts about her intentions. Didn't she remark about HAVING to meet Imre at whatever the event in the US was where they first met? It's not like they fell in love and then she realised who he was. She's always been aiming for this.
yes, that's right. she mentioned how excited she was about him coming to this shrine and said "she had to meet him". but who knows, maybe she had to meet him because she's such a fan of the blessed shrine and thought it was really good that someone so close to karl came to visit. we will never know. but that's what she said. in any case, it takes two to tango, so i guess imre saw something in katie as well...

Quote:
It's so ironic, because I have read a little about Katie's idol Empress Zita. She was a hard core traditionalist and a snob who probably would have moved Heaven and Earth to keep an American commoner like Ms. Walker out of her family.

She simply would have been appalled.
that's ironic indeed. i am unfamiliar with empress zita, so thanks for enlightening us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia
Claire is Prince Felix' girlfriend. They met while studying in Rome.
They have been inseparable for quite some time now; among other events, they attended Princess Maria Galitzine's party together.

i am also a fan of claire. she's beautiful and always looks impecable. felix chose very well!
is there more info available on her?

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-10-2012, 01:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypoint2 View Post
I agree completely on all counts... except that I thought that Kathleen showcased the veil very well. It's difficult to drape a wedding veil, and whoever did it for her certainly knew what they were doing.
I guess I misspoke. It wasn't that the veil wasn't showcased, it clashed with the lace sleeves on her dress but draping it over the shoulders. I really loved the way Marie-Christine wore it and how Princess Claire wore her lace veil with a lace top, brushed away from and behind the shoulders. Especially with her puffy ballgown skirt, wearing it the veil like that make her look proportionally off up top.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Archduchess Rudolf (born Marie Hélène de Villenfagne) wore the Habsburg Ladies family Order (black ribbon) and not Archduchess Marie-Astrid.
I suppose because she is the eldest son’s wife ?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Serene Highness

Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypoint2 View Post
At the time of their engagement last December, it was reported that Imre was a student at the University of Poland, but no more details were given.

House of Habsburg celebrates double engagement - National Royal News | Examiner.com

On second thought, I remember reading elsewhere that he was studying European Affairs in Poland. It's possible that he has finished his course of study by now; I don't know.
Ok thanks :)
Old 09-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Courtier

A big thank you to Carl Christian for acknowledging the role of the USA in the liberation of Europe.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
A big thank you to Carl Christian for acknowledging the role of the USA in the liberation of Europe.

I thought it was a very nice, very heartfelt speech overall.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Aristocracy

pictures from Tageblatt Online
http://www.tageblatt.lu/people/story...alker-20077640
Old 09-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Her dress sure looks a lot like Princess Claire's. I loved Claire's but I'm not sure if I like Kathleen's.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:23 PM

Why the unclassy criticism of Katie Walker?

I read some of the posts concerning Imre and Katie's wedding and I had to scratch my head.--They had a Mass in Latin after they exchanged vows (you can't get much classier or more traditional than that) and their service had music from great legendary composers! Furthermore, everyone looked great!

Now, when you have everything as traditional as they did, you can afford to be practical (or even a bit quirky) with a conveniently sized hummer which was BETTER than that STAGED made-for-TV goofiness that had William driving away with Kate after their wedding. Folks, let's not Major in the Minors. Some here are coming across like that lady from Keeping Up Appearances.

It is better to be quirky with the non-essentials than with the religious service. Imre and Katie believe in their faith. Many other royals use churches as a backdrop, which apparently is what some of the posters here are more comfortable with. (as if they were watching a soap opera)

Classy people wait on and serve each other. That Imre's mom held a microphone for her husband is sweet. They are probably always helping each other out like that.--Oh horror of horrors! Besides, his speech is for an intimate gathering, not for the voting public or the superficial crowds.

In regards to Katie's views, see post #85 with the imbedded YouTube video. --The groom's father respects her activity in the defense of life. In fact, her viewpoint has been the traditional viewpoint of royals throughout time. But for those who prefer pretty faces and clothes to substance, I don't know what to tell you.

Noble people do noble deeds. She believes that life begins at conception and that she is helping to save lives. To her pro-life IS pro-women. At least she has the courage to stand for something. Can't we respect that? Or do we all want people who are as superficial as we can be sometimes.

If someone genuinely believes what they are doing, I might disagree with them, but I respect that they have some conviction. In the public square we all have a right to be advocates and activists. I doubt she would corner anyone in an intimate setting or social function.

There is a time and place for everything. I think she knows that. If not, she will learn to be more discreet. Unfortunately, many posters think there is never a time for her viewpoints, but always time for the vapid and superficial.

Western Civilization wasn't built because people didn't take a stand on controversial issues.--Like or not, she is in the tradition of the West and the family she married into.----King Edward
Old 09-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Since Austria abolished all titles with the end of the monarchy the bride is NOT an Archduchess what's more she has not even the right to call herself an Archduchess while being in Austria. She is just Kathleen Habsburg-Lothringen and the same applies for all family members! Even the late Otto didn't have this right he was just Dr. Otto Habsburg-Lothringen in Austria. Only IF the monarchy still existed the title Archduke and Duchess would be correct.
i didn't know this. so why are carl christian and astrid referred to as archduke and archduchess then? (confused)
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Courtier

The wedding gives me the feel of a traditional Catholic wedding. The Latin Mass is what I grew up with. Beautiful and reverent. It was also a family affair. No cameras in church or at the reception. Church rules would be no flash bulbs etc in church. Just family celebrating the beginning of a new couple. It was not a public royal wedding. Their lives are as private people and not in the public. As Catholics they would have premartial counseling with the pastor, to make sure they knew what was required of them by the Church and that they were getting married for the right reasons.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:44 PM

Carl-Christian an Archduke?-- Why Not ?!

If the monarchy were abolished tomorrow in Britain would you still call William and Harry --Prince William and Prince Harry? I think many would. I don't have a problem with that, do you?

So, if someone would have inherited a title, but political conditions have changed where their family now no longer reigns, is it wrong for them to use that title? --Personally, I don't care what anyone calls themself. --I can understand why some would be proud of their lineage and use a title that they would normally be entitled to use.

Presently, I myself am a Prince of my own House, a non-reigning house. Who is going to argue with me? But seriously, prudence (common sense) would dictate that you don't use your title in a country that kicked your ancestors out, lest you get arrested or worse. Furthermore, you can't deceive or defraud anyone by making them believe you have authority you don't have.

Archduke Carl-Christian comes from a very, very distinguished family. By all accounts he is a good and honorable man. I have no problem with someone like him using a title. He comes from nobility and carries himself in a dignified manner.--Besides, currently reigning houses accord him much respect. So why can't others?

Remember, reigning houses got their blood from houses that may or may not be currently reigning. For the nobility it is often about where your blood is from, not whether the house you're from is still ruling some place.-- King Edward
Old 09-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i didn't know this. so why are carl christian and astrid referred to as archduke and archduchess then? (confused)
Only because Austria does not recognize these titles anymore they don't cease to exist, because the laws that once ruled legitimately who is or is not an Archduke and an Archduchess of Austria are still working today. It never was a territorial title except for the Head of the House who in fact was "The Archduke" of Austria till 1918. But since 1803 the law said that the Head of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine has a right to the title of "Emperor of Austria" and his family, if they were born of a recognized marriage, were Archdukes and Archduchesses of Austria. So these titles were based on a territory once, but from 1803 became the titles of the family, ruling or not ruling. Thus, for the States who had recognized the 1803 change of laws (all those who accepted the peace treaty of Vienna in 1815 eg) the Habsburgs still legitimately are known as "Archduke" and "Archduchess", no matter what the State of Austria says today.

I only wonder if Archduke Karl (who, as Head of the family, could call himself Emperor Karl BTW, but doesn't, though he is "The Archduke" nowadays) agreed to the marriage, so that it's recognized by the family?
Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Actually, it is all theatre. There is no monarchy in Austria and it has been that way for 94 years. So, all these titles have no particular value, but if they think it gives them a better life, who cares. Many people call Harry and William just that. I think they like it. So, if the British Monarchy failed, tomorrow, that is who they would be. If it makes them happy I don't think anyone cares. They can call themselves whatever they'd like.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Courtier

They can call themselves AD except in Austria where all nobility titles were abolished and where it is against the constitution and therefore against the law to use this titles. !!! As far as Karl's agreement to this marriage is concerned I am pretty sure he gave it. He had stated in an interview that he can not imagine a single reason why he should refuse to give his consent to marriages of family members - equal or non equal doesn't matter as long as it is a love match. His own marriage to Francesca was quite heavily criticized by his uncles at the time.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Nobility

I think there is something odd about Kathleen's dress and tell me if you agree.I think the original dress was a the strapless satin part of the dress and that the lace sleeves and neckline were added afterwards to make the dress more modest.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Serene Highness

Marlene I think that is possible...it's not uncommon to have that sort of thing done among more conservative Christians. If only some of the guests at the wedding had thought of this....perhaps they didn't realize there is a dress code.

LaRae
Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Courtier

nice pictures on revue!!!!!

Tags
habsburg