Ernst August Jr. von Hannover and Ekaterina Malysheva. July 6 and 8, 2017.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Important for the Family is that Ernst August sr. as Head of the House has not given the needed Consent for the marriage of his heir. This means that Ernst August jr. has lost his posession as herediatr Prince and probably will not succeed his fater as Head of the House
Is it official that Prince Ernst August, Jr., will not be the head of the House of Hannover?

Last edited:
And will the junior give all that up without a fight? Afterall he has slogged all his 20s to save the business and estates while his contemporary "real royals" just pretty much partied.
This is not fair, handing over, then taking back back all at the whim of a person not known for stability..

Please note that a number of posts have been edited or deleted as they either fell short of the forum rules or were in response to those that did. Let's try and have a mature and interesting discussion and avoid disruptive in-thread arguments shall we? Other empty posts have also been deleted as they added nothing to the conversation.

Can Ernst Sr actually disinherit Ernst Jr? For example QE11 wouldn't be able to disinherit Charles in favour of Andrew would she?

I remember that Ernst Sr had to get the Queen's permission to marry

Would this apply to Ernst Jr? in which case would whatever his father does re the succession matter?

Can Ernst Sr actually disinherit Ernst Jr? For example QE11 wouldn't be able to disinherit Charles in favour of Andrew would she?

Would this apply to Ernst Jr? in which case would whatever his father does re the succession matter?

This is all unclear at this point. EA senior did not give permission to marry so the junior could lose succession to the british throne (arond 530th, doesnt really matter) but also hanover succession. EA senior is unpredictable, we'll see if he is ready to spend a fortune on his lawyers for endless law suits that might not be decided in his lifetime anyway, as we've seen with other houses the process could last decades without agreement.

Because of the changes to the Royal marriages Act a few years ago Ernst August jr. doesn't need the consent of the british monarch as only the first 6 in the line of succession need consent.
But the Hannover succession is a different matter.

Last edited:
To me the most important succession in this is the Hannoverian one. It would be a real shame if the headship of the house and the family estates would be separated.

No, that doesn't apply anymore because the Royal Marriages Act, which was the British law that required the Queen to consent to marriages of descendants of King George II, has been repealed by Succession to the Crown Act 2013.

On your second question, QEII cannot remove Prince Charles from the line of succession to the throne because the line of succession is regulated by law and the Queen cannot change the law unilaterally (she needs the "advice and consent" of the UK Parliament to do so under the British constitution !). As a private citizen, my understanding is, however, that , under English law, the Queen can leave her private property to whoever she wants, so it is not automatic that Charles e.g. should inherit Balmoral or Sandrigham alone as neither one are held in trust by the sovereign. In fact, when Edward VIII abdicated, he retained ownership of both estates, and King George VI actually had to "buy" them back from his brother under some kind of financial settlement , see this reference . It is just customary that the heir to the Crown gets most of former sovereign's private estate, not least because asset transfers from a sovereign to another are exempted from inheritance taxes.

In the case of Ernst Sr. and Ernst Jr., one would have to examine German inheritance law to answer your question. Most continental European countries follow what the Brits call the "Napoleonic system" (after Napoleon's civil code) where children are natural heirs and assets must be divided equally among them, so I suppose disinheriting someone is not so easy as it is e.g. in English law where a legally valid will pretty much overrides everything else. I am pretty sure though that our knowledgeable German posters here will be able to explain it much better.

Last edited:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWUthwGgnqr

Closer look at the Ekaterina's gown is much better, it really does look like something a Disney live action princess would wear. :flowers:

Unfortunately, I have to say I don't like the dress. It seems over the top and something, which IMO would be only used by nouveau riche brides in Germany or Austria. this might not be the right forum for this comment, however i could not find anything on the royal wedding forums re this wedding
:ermm:

I wouldn't wear something like it, but I do think it's perfectly lovely, even though it is indeed bit Disney fairy tale-ish

Fortunately the bride's lovely face and features support a fairy bride look so it's successful (imo), though it might not be for many other women.?

In the case of Ernst Sr. and Ernst Jr., one would have to examine German inheritance law to answer your question. Most continental European countries follow what the Brits call the "Napoleonic system" (after Napoleon's civil code) where children are natural heirs and assets must be divided equally among them, so I suppose disinheriting someone is not so easy as it is e.g. in English law where a legally valid will pretty much overrides everything else. I am pretty sure though that our knowledgeable German posters here will be able to explain it much better.
I don't know much, but:
1. Every child has the right to a certain percentage of the inheritance.
2. You can specify one or more principal heirs, who get a majority, but the "Pflichtteil" (statutory share) remains.

I do think inheritance law doesn't apply here, though. To my knowledge Prince Ernst August V has given the family heirloom (Marienburg, etc.) as a "Schenkung" (gift) to Hereditary Prince Ernst August. Under German law a "Schenkung" cannot be revoked. So, Prince Ernst August V wouldn't stand a chance in court. Except if he and his son added a paragraph about conditions under which the father can reclaim the assets to the "Schenkungsurkunde" (deed of gift).

Anyway, Congratulations to the newlyweds and here's to a long, lasting and happy marriage!

best wishes Michiru

:previous:
One might assume Hereditary Princess Ekaterina's dress had some elements of a boyarina's costumes: pearls, embroidery, and puffy sleeves.

It would be incorrect to compare the dress in question to Disney costumes, which have no cultural value or references.

Disney "live action" film, which was what I mentioned, have costumes inspired by/with basis on history. Hollywood costume designers don't come up with costumes from thin air, after all, and the best ones research thoroughly to achieve accuracy. Anyway, what I meant by my comment is that her costume evokes Disney princess dreaminess, very fairy tale-like.

Here's another one: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWa39qtgoap

Apologies ahead for a comment not related directly to the wedding but there was a photo of Chantal Hochuli (whose instagram handle says Hanover...what's that about? ?), Vera Santo Domingo and Andrea Dellal, they all seem super cosy. Makes me realize the delicate social web they all tread!

Thanks Duke of Marmalade, Stefan, Mbruno and Michiru-Kaiou for clarification on my question re the succession issue

Its very complicated

It's a pity that Ernst Sr is such a loose cannon

All the best to the newlyweds, they deserve every happiness

:previous: The only one I like is the actual bridal gown. It is a dream, just beautiful.?

on her wedding day i didn't think that the look was too much but after seeing the photos i think if the veil was a simple one without any embroidery that the look would have much better.

Back
Top Bottom