Countess Hélène d'Udekem d'Acoz and Baron Nicolas Janssen - 31/05/2011 & 11/06/2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovely pictures, - love the "wedding dress".

Is the bride a sister of Mathilde of Belgium?How old are the bride and groom?
So this is the wedding dress,it's unusual,I've expected white classical wedding dress

Yes, Hélène is Mathilde's younger sister; she is 32 and Baron Janssen is 37.

Is it known when and where the religious ceremony will take place?

Lenora , she will wear a white dress on her religious wedding.
I hope we will see pictures of the Countess d' Udekem d' Acoz and Baron and Baroness Daniel Janssen. The Baroness is one of the belgian's most elegant ladies.

Lenora , she will wear a white dress on her religious wedding.
I hope we will see pictures of the Countess d' Udekem d' Acoz and Baron and Baroness Daniel Janssen. The Baroness is one of the belgian's most elegant ladies.
Thank You for the information!I've got completely mistaken,it will be interesting to learn more details on the couple and the wedding to come

Nicolas and Hélène make a good match, a happy couple they are. :)
Hope we get pictures of their religious wedding too.

I hope we will see pictures of the Countess d' Udekem d' Acoz and Baron and Baroness Daniel Janssen.

Mathilde's mother Anna Maria (red dress)
Picture details
Picture details
Picture details

Mathilde's sister Elisabeth and her husband Marquis Alfonso Pallavicini and their children Olimpia and Adalberto
Picture details
Picture details

Baron Daniel Janssen, father of the groom (in the background next to Mathilde's mother, clapping hands)
Picture details

Not sure if the woman on the left with the huge shawl is Baroness Janssen, she bears a resemblance with her but the picture is too blurry to tell
Picture details

And it must be bittersweet for Hélène and her family not to have her father Patrick and her sister Marie-Alix around.

It's amazing how all the d'Udekem d'Acoz sisters married well...Elisabeth to a wealthy marquis, Helen to a baron and of course Mathilde to the heir to the Belgian throne.

It's amazing how all the d'Udekem d'Acoz sisters married well...Elisabeth to a wealthy marquis, Helen to a baron and of course Mathilde to the heir to the Belgian throne.
So Mathilde has actually 4 siblings (from whom one sister died),her family seems to have very interesting roots

So happy to see pix at last ! The young couple look very much in love and it is lovely to see for the first time Elisabeth's two children !

Wedding will probavvly take place 11 june 2011 in Bastogne.

See (Soprano who has put in on her agenda to sing in the church)
liesvandewege.be
11/06/2011

and this (once again) confirms my theory that the noble/non reigning royalty tend to marry amongst their own, more than the current royalty, which makes them have bluer blood than the current day royals.

So Mathilde has actually 4 siblings (from whom one sister died),her family seems to have very interesting roots

And they are distant relatives of our current President (Countess Anne's maiden name is Komorowska).

Mathilde is, without doubt, the most beautiful of three sisters; her sisters are not beautiful at all, IMHO.
But, anyway, congrats to the newly married.
And we are now to wait whom Charles Henri will marry...

Last edited:
Mathilde's sister are beautiful but not very photogenic !!!

For the first time I get interested in Mathilde's backround.I was surprised finding out that her mother is Polish.Does she have French or Russian roots?

Thank you so much for uploading the pictures. I've been curious about Mathilde's family and had never seen pictures of her siblings.

I know a descendant of the Pallavicino/Pallavicini family, the family holds the titles and ranks Marquis and Prince of the Holy Roman Empire (HRE). They keep to the same social & economic background. Mathilde's family is aristocratic (although not among the top of noble families in Belgium, and not sure if they hold at least the title/rank Baron of the HRE). It's not very surprising, old noble (vs. new, i.e. those created during the Napoleonic years) families tend to stick together...(not always but see post #12 by auntie).

Last edited:
Why will the religious ceremony be a year from now versus now?

Did I miss pictures of Mathilde and her family, or did they not attend.

and this (once again) confirms my theory that the noble/non reigning royalty tend to marry amongst their own, more than the current royalty, which makes them have bluer blood than the current day royals.

I agree with you, and I find it fascinating. The deposed French Bourbons tend to do the same thing.

I think the last monarchy that will remain Royal in the old, traditional sense will be the Belgian one.

Thanks for the photos!
The couple looked lovely. It was great to see Crown Princess Mathilde and her family.
I am looking forward to seeing photos of the religious ceremony.

The Janssen family isn’t an old noble family though. :flowers: Hardly anyone would think of them as aristos in first place, they are most of all known as one of the leading Belgian industrial "dynasties" making a fortune with chemical companies.
Nicolas great-grandfather Emmanuel founded UCB UCB (company) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as well as the investment bank Générale de Banque. In 1930 he was ennobled by King Albert I., bringing the hereditary Baron title into the family. The Janssens married into two other premier families of entrepreneurs - Solvay and Boël . Nicolas’ father Daniel worked for the family companies UCB and Solvay. His last position was chairman of the chemical multi Solvay. He is an influential figure and was also chairman of the Belgian federation of enterprises.
Daniel Janssen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nicolas is working in Kosovo as economic advisor for the EU and Hélène is lawyer and has her own office in Brussels.

Last edited:
I expect to see more Belgian royals at the religious wedding. When her sister Elisabeth got married, The King, Queen, Queen Fabiola and if I am not mistaken Laurent and Claire with Louise attended.
King Albert and Queen Paola didn’t attend Elisabeth’s wedding and I doubt they will attend this one. Albert sure knows the groom’s father very well though.
And Queen Fabiola, Laurent, Claire and Louise did indeed attend Elisabeth Pallavicini’s wedding, but Fabiola is frail and with Laurent you never know. Also take into account that Nicolas and Hélène didn’t make much noise of their wedding, seems they want to keep it as private as possible in terms of press coverage.

I wonder if Princess Elisabeth’s gets a special role since she is Hélène’s godchild.

Mathilde attended with prince Philippe and the Childern.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I expect to see more Belgian royals at the religious wedding. When her sister Elisabeth got married, The King, Queen, Queen Fabiola and if I am not mistaken Laurent and Claire with Louise attended.

Thank you stephanievl.

Really I wouldn't think that the Belgian royals would attend this (if they do show up it will be at the religious ceremony). Mathilde is member of the BRF not her sisters. Now if they have some sort of cordial relationship/friendship than that is different. Not sure that is the case here.

Back
Top Bottom