Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg, and Martin Jørgensen March 3, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wymanda said:
Personally I think the whole thing, veil & all is very incorrect & OTT for a second marriage. But then again Alexandra is very into OTT. I've always thought her very snobbish & pretentious.

Brides can wear whatever they want for their marriages, be it their first or their fifth. My best friend got married and she wore a dark blue dress....and it was her first wedding. She looked utterly stunning. I think that last statement is just an unfair character attack.

ysbel said:
I know of several women who wore the traditional white bridal gown with veil and the whole church wedding for their second wedding.

In the old days, white meant virginity and a virgin was worth more than a non-virgin. These days, such a backwards attitude towards a women's worth would seem laughable.

While I do think that there is nothing wrong with purity or even placing a higher value on purity I do think it's unfair that Alex is being attacked for wearing a light colored dress.

BurberryBrit said:
While I do think that there is nothing wrong with purity or even placing a higher value on purity I do think it's unfair that Alex is being attacked for wearing a light colored dress.
While I love the dress, I could care less for the veil and here's why:

I just like simple presentation.

And if you are <not> marrying into royalty where all the pomp and hoopla is, if anything, a nice gesture to royal fans, this time around the girl is marrying a commoner.

While she can wear whatever she wants on her (second) big day, in this case a veil to mee just says: tacky.

Can't help it, is just my opinion. Love the flowers in her hair, weren't they enough on the cosmetic front? apperently not! :lol:

Love love love her bouquet though, with the white and, very subtle presence of BLUE flowers, just breathtaking.

Overall she was a much better bride than the first time around, when she sported a hideous afro hairdo and the dress made her look big, while she's the opposite!:wacko:

Personally, I prefer to have just one big, white wedding, be it the first, second, etc. For example, Letizia's wedding to Felipe: it was her second , but her first was purely civil. Not many people had objections to wearing a big white dress and veil. Just feel like the white thing is special reserved for one occasion, but that's just my personal choice.

Alexandra's dress and veil did not look very "royal" for a second wedding, but I guess she's a private citizen now. To each his (her) own, so good for her if she wanted to go for the whole enchilada. She looked good and happy, and that's all that really matters.

She looks lovely in that gown. I love her sons' outfit, quite cute.

BurberryBrit said:

If you say that you esteem and value women who have never had sex over and above those women who have had sex, then yes, I would heartily disagree with you and I am very proud so to do. Its a matter of ethics and choosing the right thing to value women over - decency, forthrightness, and strength of character. Virginity is not necessarily present.

Alexandra, just a countess... After so many years being princess Alexandra. For us, royal watchers it will take time to get used to. I think her wedding dress and veil was not a good idea. She is a divorced women with two kids... She should dress differently. I think duchess of Cornwall, Camilla had perfect outfit during her wedding with CP Charles' regarding her situation. And Camilla's husband was crown prince and it was very official wedding. In addition, during her wedding with Martin, Alexandra was wearing a necklace that was a gift from her first husband. Overall I think the whole wedding with Martin was just bed taste. I can only hope these two will be happy and this marraiage will last.:neutral:

Oooohhh....And here I was, being a good poster and not going into threads that had anything to do with Camilla as to not raise my blood pressure at, in my opinion, the inproriety of the whole marriage and say things I'd really like to say.

To compare Alexandra with Camilla is grossly not on the same level. Not even close. Right down to the color that they each wore to their second weddings. Alexandra did not do anything inappropriate with what she wore to her own wedding. It was not white--I know what my Crayola colors look like--and her veil was for aesthetic, not for symbolism. If the world followed the "white rule" then very few women in this world should be wearing white at their own wedding.

Another poster mentioned it; Letizia was NOT a virgin when she married (obviously) and was already married prior (married is married, regardless if it's in church or civil) and yet no one really raised any qualms about the inpropriety there! I'm not understanding this sudden onslaught on Alexandra!

ysbel said:
I think the DRF has streamlined its website a bit. I remember when I first saw the site, the Queen's sister, former Queen Anne Marie of Greece was on the website even though it had been a long time since she had been a Princess of Denmark. Now the website seems to stick pretty closely to the members of the family who are actually royal.
HM Queen Anne Marie is still featured in her own page on the DRF site. Aside from her page, the site sticks closely to the seven people who are presently in line to succeed to the Danish throne, or their spouses. Of these, three hold the lesser designation of "HH".

I would imagine that Anne Marie is still technically a Princess of Denmark. Her three children are all either Prince or Princess of Greece and Denmark. Naturally, her title as Queen is used instead as it is the more senior title.

Alexandra's page is still out there in cyberspace, though you cannot access it through the menus on the DRF website. Just search for "countess of Frederiksborg" and a link to her DRF page is among the results you should see, though it may only be for a limited time.

I don't think it's unusual or suspect in any way that the DRF site updated so timely. They've known the wedding was approaching, so the updated site content would have already been prepared and uploaded to their servers. The webmaster may have even had the site set up to automatically redirect to the updated pages on the hour for which the ceremony was scheduled. If not, it is a change that could easily have been implemented from home.

Congratulations and all the best to Her Excellency and Mr.
[SIZE=-1]Joergensen!

[/SIZE]

I Love Alexandra's dress and the idea of flowers in her hair, but the hair looks too big for my taste. Anyway the boys look great and Alexandra and Martin look so happy together.

Let's try to stay on topic...the wedding of Alexandra and Martin.

There's no need to discuss the Danish Royal Family's website, the comparisons of Alexandra with other women on their 2nd marriage, etc.

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALEXANDRA AND MARTIN JORGENSEN.

Oooo, Alexandra very nice my dear!! Hair was a big too on the large side and I think no veil would have been better, but overall very well done!! Much better than her first wedding gown...she was swimming in the dress!

Anyway, congrats to Alex & Martin!

MoonlightRhapsody said:
Oooohhh....And here I was, being a good poster and not going into threads that had anything to do with Camilla as to not raise my blood pressure at, in my opinion, the inproriety of the whole marriage and say things I'd really like to say.

To compare Alexandra with Camilla is grossly not on the same level. Not even close. Right down to the color that they each wore to their second weddings. Alexandra did not do anything inappropriate with what she wore to her own wedding. It was not white--I know what my Crayola colors look like--and her veil was for aesthetic, not for symbolism. If the world followed the "white rule" then very few women in this world should be wearing white at their own wedding.

Another poster mentioned it; Letizia was NOT a virgin when she married (obviously) and was already married prior (married is married, regardless if it's in church or civil) and yet no one really raised any qualms about the inpropriety there! I'm not understanding this sudden onslaught on Alexandra!

i completely agree they should never ever be compared that in itself is wrong. As i've said before no where does it say on 2nd marriage the bride can not wear a wedding dress or veil, she has the right to wear what she likes to HER OWN wedding no matter how many times shes married, being married before has nothing to do with it, this is a new marriage. I agree on the letizia part she was married before doesnt matter if it was civil its still a marriage and on her second she wore white and with a veil are people going to diss what she wore aswell cos its only fair.

Raia said:
being married before has nothing to do with it, this is a new marriage.

That's a very good point, whether it's the first, second, third ??? wedding, each wedding to a new partner is a new marriage and should be celebrated as such. For one or the other partner it is most likely their first, and should be an affair to remember. :flowers: I think as someone said in a previous post, finding a virgin bride these days is a rarity, that tradition died out long ago.

MoonlightRhapsody said:

Letizia had a civil wedding the first time, thus in front of the Catholic church, her wedding to Prince Felipe is the first one. If Joachim and Alexandra were Catholic, Alexandra probably would not be able to get married the second time at a Catholic church since a marriage annulment is required for her first one and I don't think they had enough to get their marriage annulled if they were Catholics.
Nevertheless, white dress and veil signifies virginity. Now these days, it's not so easy to find a bride who is actually a virgin:) (Maybe Diana was the last royal virgin bride). If other non-virgin brides who can wear white dress and veil, so does Alexandra.

Last edited:
I love her dress and flowers but not her hair style - the row of flowers in her hair seem to be alittle slanted?? but overall she looked happy and beautiful.

I guess alot will be said of her choice of color, dress, jewellery etc...but at the end of the day, let's remember it's still at the end of the day, a marriage and any marriage should be celebrated with joy and happiness. She's done nothing wrong and why shouldn't she celebrate her wedding in the way she wants!

I wish them both much happiness in their new life together.

Eliza, it looks like the snowdrops are supposed to be interwoven in the hair, so I assume it's supposed to look slanted. I actually like the idea of weaving flowers/ribbons in the hair.....very hippie and bohemian.

I think Alexandra looked stunning! I loved the dress and although the veil wasn't to my own personal taste she looked very beautiful. We are all entitled to our opinions but I personally don't see the problem with how she was dressed. It is her wedding day, whether 2nd or not, and she has every right to feel special and dress up. Plus it is Martin's first wedding so why should he be robbed of a big day with a wife in a beautiful dress just because she has been there already! They look happy and thats all that matters. I wish all the best to the couple.

PS: Nikolai and Felix looked adorable :wub:

The reason that Camilla was mentioned was an example of a well put together 2nd wedding ensemble and I agree it was very fashionable and chic for Camilla. The same outfit would not work for Alexandra.

Camilla was almost 60 with two grown children. Alexandra is in her early 40s almost 20 years younger than Camilla with two little boys. Plus Camilla was marrying the Prince of Wales; Alexandra is marrying a photographer.

The styles that are appropriate for the two women's second wedding are totally different.

I think a suit similar to what Princess Caroline wore for her wedding to Ernst August would have looking smashing on Alexandra but that doesn't seem to be Alexandra's taste. Caroline and Alexandra were closer in age at their marriage and their body types were more similar.

I was surprised at Alexandra's second wedding gown because I thought that Alexandra was tired of the fairytale princess image and her dress said fairytale princess to me.

I don´t think we can compare Alexandra´s and Camilla´s second weddings.
Camilla married to a crown prince, so she must pay attention to the royal etiqutte etc.
Alexandra married to a commoner. The whole wedding was a private occasion. Nobody nobel or royal was present, according to Henri M.

Heike said:
Nobody nobel or royal was present, according to Henri M.

Well there were two royals and one noble at the wedding: the Princes Nikolai and Felix, and the Countess herself.

:flowers:

Last edited:
ysbel said:
I think a suit similar to what Princess Caroline wore for her wedding to Ernst August would have looking smashing on Alexandra but that doesn't seem to be Alexandra's taste. Caroline and Alexandra were closer in age at their marriage and their body types were more similar.

Agree with you, I would have imagined her more in such a dress. Or a Camilla's version, but younger, would be very nice, Camilla was perfectly dressed in her wedding, a very chic style.

ysbel said:
I was surprised at Alexandra's second wedding gown because I thought that Alexandra was tired of the fairytale princess image and her dress said fairytale princess to me.

I was surprised by the vale. I do not know if it is an "unwritten" law saying that after a certain age and for second wedding you should not wear a vale but my feeling would prefer her with a very nice hat.
On the other side we should not forget that she wed a man 14 years younger, and may be she tried to tight the distance between their age. So choose a fresh "young bride" dress than a stylish chic but "older lady" outfit.

Out of the subject, did the DRF attend? Frederik, Mary?

fandesacs2003 said:
Out of the subject, did the DRF attend? Frederik, Mary?

There were no any royal or noble guests, not from Denmark and not from outside Denmark.

There were only 90 guests, all of them family and friends of the bridal couple.
And 30 of them were invited for a dinner at Jomfruens Egede estate.

Henri M. said:
Well there were two royals and one noble at the wedding: the Princes Nikolai and Felix, and the Countess herself.

This may be splitting hairs but are Nikolai and Felix technically royal? The reason I ask is that their titles are HH (Hans Hojhed) His Highess not HKH (Hans Kongelige Hojhed) His Royal Highness.

Does the presence or lack of Kongelige or Royal in the title determine who is royal in the DRF and who is not?

ysbel said:
This may be splitting hairs but are Nikolai and Felix technically royal? The reason I ask is that their titles are HH (Hans Hojhed) His Highess not HKH (Hans Kongelige Hojhed) His Royal Highness.

Does the presence or lack of Kongelige or Royal in the title determine who is royal in the DRF and who is not?

Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix are grandsons of Queen Margrethe II and they are in the line of succession after their uncle the Crown Prince, their cousin Prince Christian and their father Prince Joachim.

So that undoubtedly makes them royal.

The 'HH'-part designates them as 'minor royals' as being children of a younger son to the Sovereign who do not belong to the direct line of succession.
In the Netherlands their equivalents are even no longer Princes or Princesses, but just Counts and Countesses (which has to do with the desire to downsize the number of Princes and Princesses).

Thanks Henri.

Its very unlike the British system where there are no non-royal highesses. Either you are a Royal Highness (Prince, Royal Duke, etc.) or you are no Highness at all (like the Earl of St. Ulster).

The presence of the HH without the Royal gave me the impression that the Danes keep a separate designation for people somwhere between royalty and the nobility.

{Response to deleted post removed - Elspeth}

i thought alexandra looked lovely and the ceremony was just as private and simple as they wanted. it's a shame no one of the royal family attended. would have been nice to see mary (since frederik is in the galathea expedition) perhaps there.

by the way, i'm not sure if this info was already posted, but her gown was by henrik hviid. i thought it was a beautiful design, really feminine. what really surprised me is that it must have been really cold yesterday in denmark to go out with no sleeves...

Last edited by a moderator:
Henri M. said:

+ the comtesse Marina of Rosenborg who is descended from Prince Waldemar the youngest of the six children of Christian IX of Denmark. Her mother Countess Karin of Rosenborg is by the way the lady-in-waiting of Princess Benedikte.

:)

Back
Top Bottom