Queen Victoria and Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha - 1840

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexandria

Heir Apparent
Country
Canada
Queen Victoria & Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
February 10, 1840, Chapel Royal, St. James Palace

The Dress: Queen Victoria wore a creamy-white silk satin ball gown trimmed with Honiton lace and orange blossoms. The gown had a fitted, pointed bodice, full-skirt and a train attached at the waist. She wore flat shoes of white satin trimmed with bands of ribbon. Long ribbon ties fastened around the ankles held the shoes in place. They were made by Gundry and Son, Boot and Shoemakers to the Queen. Her wedding attire has been regarded as the ideal traditional wedding gown which has influenced brides since then and will for years to come.

The Diademe: She chose a wreath of orange blossoms to wear in her hair.

The Veil: She wore a handmade Honiton lace veil.

The Attendants: Her 12 bridesmaids were similarly attired in shades of white.

Memorable Details: Queen Victoria recorded in her journal on Monday, February 10, 1840, "I wore a satin gown with a very deep flounce of Honiton lace, imitation of old. I wore my Turkish diamond necklace
and earrings, and Albert's beautiful sapphire brooch." Queen Victoria married her cousin, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha in the Chapel Royal, St James’s.

--Information and pictures courtesy of Mandy

Attachments

• Victoria proposal 01.JPG
    Victoria proposal 01.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 865
  • Wedding 05.JPG
    Wedding 05.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 3,437
  • Victoria 01.JPG
    Victoria 01.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 3,477
  • Wedding 06.JPG
    Wedding 06.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 7,176
  • Wedding 02.JPG
    Wedding 02.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 2,828
  • Victoria Slippers.JPG
    Victoria Slippers.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 3,120
  • Wedding 03.JPG
    Wedding 03.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 1,851
  • Wedding 04.JPG
    Wedding 04.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 3,552
Paintings and drawings of their wedding may not be accurate but it's not difficult to visualize their grand but elegant wedding ceremony.

What beautiful pictures. :flowers:
They were such a wonderful couple.

Gorgeous pictures, thank you! They were a truly wonderful couple:flowers:, who in spite of the limitations of their roles, found true love..... As a result, when Prince Albert left the world so prematurely, Her Majesty, Queen Victoria was devastated beyond words.
The price of true Love is Divine Pain. But it is not easy to bear....:sad:

scans from "Five Gold Rings" a royal wedding souvenir album

Thank you Steven, that's really sweet of you! :flowers:
The pictures are Gorgeous...
And The Queen looks Divine in Her Gorgeous Wedding Gown with the wonderful long Train.....hhmmm.
:)

Who was Prince Alberts Bestman im assuming his Brother Prince Ernst

Princes tend not to have a 'best man', they have a 'supporter' or supporters. Prince Albert's were his father and brother.

I have always loved Queen Victoria's wedding gown. But I do agree that it is an historic piece. However, I wonder if it is another wedding dress that Catherine drew inspiration from as I see elements of the skirt (but also the lace on top) of Victoria's dress that were reflected in Catherine's.

The Archbishop of Canterbury asked Victoria if she wanted the word "obey" to be deleted from her wedding vows.
The Queen insisted it remain.

To the young Queen Victoria, the symbol of the union was the ring, which Prince Albert slipped on her finger as the guns fired a royal salute.
The Times claimed that the traditional band of gold 'appeared more solid than is usual in ordinary weddings'. :onering::onering::onering::onering:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always loved Queen Victoria's wedding gown. But I do agree that it is an historic piece. However, I wonder if it is another wedding dress that Catherine drew inspiration from as I see elements of the skirt (but also the lace on top) of Victoria's dress that were reflected in Catherine's.

Certainly a huge helping of Grace Kelly's dress . Though not as much as Chantal MIller's.

Trailer for an excellent documentary about Queen Victoria's wedding.

I just watched this documentary on Portuguese television.

Why did Queen Victoria propose to Prince Albert?

Why didn't Queen Victoria wear a tiara at her wedding? Was it not common at the time?

Queen Victoria asked that none of the wedding guests wear white so as not to draw attention away from her.

White was quite a fashionable colour of course in the 1840s. And I believe formal Court dress for females at that time (in non mourning periods) was white or cream.

Lucy Worsley on Queen Victoria's Wedding Dress

Back
Top Bottom