Princess Beatrice of the United Kingdom and Prince Henry Battenberg - 1885

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont' have the names here, but I think most of them were her nieces (daughters of her 4 sisters and 4 brothers...)

THE BACK: (L-R): Prince Alexander "Sandro" of Bulgaria, brother of the groom; Princess Louise of Wales (Bertie and Alexandra's daughter); Princess Irene of Hesse (Alice and Louis's daughter); Princess Victoria "Toria" of Wales (Bertie and Alexandra's second daughter); Prince Franz Joseph of Battenberg, brother of the groom.

THE MIDDLE: (L-R): Princess Maud of Wales (Bertie and Alexandra's youngest); Princess Alexandra "Alix" of Hesse (Alice and Louis's daughter); Princesses Marie Louise and Helena Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (Helena and Christian's daughters).

THE FRONT: (L-R): Princesses Victoria Melita "Ducky"; Marie "Missy"; and Alexandra "Sandra" of Edinburg (Alfred and Marie's daughters) and bridal couple.

Thank you for the photo, elenaris and pdas1201 for all the names. I love what the bridesmaids are wearing (it looks really pretty on Princess Maud). It's quite a modern style. Here are some more photos from the wedding I found.

Photo 1: Princess Beatrice, (1857 - 1944), the youngest daughter of Queen Victoria. She married Prince Henry of Battenberg in 1885.
Photo 2: Princess Beatrice Mary Victoria (1857 - 1944), daughter of Queen Victoria marries Prince Henry of Battenberg (1858 - 1896).
Photo 3: 1st August 1885: Guests at the wedding of Princess Beatrice to Prince Henry of Battenberg at Osborne House, Isle of Wight. Original Publication: Illustrated London News - pub. 1885

Does anyone know if there is a thread on the two of them? I had a quick look but I don't think there is one.

www.gettyimages.com

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/13/beatrice2vk.jpg
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5739/beatrice20and20henry2028188529.jpg
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/590/beatrice20and20henry20illustra.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HMQueenElizabethII said:
Thanks lots for photos.
You're welcome.:) I'm curious. I know this thread forum is about weddings, but does anyone know what tiara Beatrice is wearing?

Last edited by a moderator:
St. Mildred's Church in Whippingham, UK, has a replica of the wedding dress worn by Princess Beatrice. Posters living in UK have a wonderful opportunity to see the wedding gown, as well as photographs from the wedding.

The replica of the wedding gown
www.iow.uk.com/whippingham-church/exhibit.htm

The Church also has the bibles which presented to Princess Beatrice as gifts on her wedding day.
www.iow.uk.com/whippingham-church/battchap.htm

dress9cs.jpg
bibles8lg.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6078/dress9cs.jpg
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/2294/bibles8lg.jpg

Last edited:
Excerpt taken from " The shy princess: The life of Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrice, the youngest daughter and constant companion of Queen Victoria" by David Duff describes the wedding dress in some detail.

"Princess Beatrice's wedding dress was of white satin, trimmed with orange blossom and lace, the lace overskirt held by bouquets of the blossom entwined with white heather. There was lace, too, on the pointed neck line, and on the sleeves, for the Princess was a lover of, and an expert on, lace. One of her most treasured possessions was a tunic of old point d'Alencon which had belonged to Catherine of Aragon. Knowing her daughter's love of lace, the Queen now bestowed a signal favour upon her. She allowed Princess Beatrice to wear the Honiton lace which she herself had worn on her wedding day...It was a very precious possession to the Queen, and Princess Beatrice was the only one of her daughters to be given the opportunity to wear it."

Danielle said:
Thank you very much pdas1201 for the information and photos. That reminded me of something I forgot to post the other day. Here is an invitation I found to their wedding.
from http://www.btinternet.com/~sbishop100/

Excellent find!!! Danielle:) Thank you very much for posting it.

pdas1201 said:
Excellent find!!! Danielle:) Thank you very much for posting it.
No, thank you for that great information on her dress. I love hearing the minute details about wedding dresses and all the work that goes into it.

elenaris said:
Could someone tell me the names of the bridemaids on this picture?
Many thanks,
Elena

I think the woman on the right of the bridegroom could be P Toria, 1 of P. Alexandra and Prince of Wales's daughters, the girls behind her could be the other 1s, 1 of whom, maude became the Q of norway, great-grand mother of the current King- there's a girl on the front, the tallest of them all, she's blonde, she resembles to P Beatrice's daughter ,P Victoria Eugenie, who, of course, was not born yet, but i've got a pic of the 3 kids, I'll tell u in a while who they are.

tipper said:
that was that slipped me, they were the kids of Marie of Endinburgh, don't know who she is, i've got a pic of them all with Q Victoria. thanx !!!!

sure, P Alfred's kids, they were so cute......I wonder what was of all these kids, grandchildren of QV, I know about some1, as the Kaiser, of Alix, Victoria Eugenie, Toria and the 2 sons from P of Wales, some other, too, maybe.

THank you for the pics!!!

I really like this wedding because, beig Beatrice the youngest daughter of Q Victoria, all her sibligs has already had family...
Many thanks.
Elena

What lovely sketches. Thank you for posting. I really love them!!)

Royal Fan said:
who was Henrys Bestman

Two of his brothers were his bestmen (as seen in the group picture on the first page), Prince Alexander and Prince Franz Joseph of Battenberg.

This thread has been completely converted to an ImageShack account now so that no images have been directly attached to the forum in an effort to conserve bandwidth.

It would be greatly appreciated if any newly-discovered images from this point forward would be hosted via a private image hosting account such as
Photobucket or Imageshack.

Please also review the images already posted and not re-post the exact same images over and over.

Please note that images which are attached directly to the forum are subject to removal by an Administrator or SuperModerator without notice to the member.

Thank you for your co-operation on this matter so that we can all continue to enjoy images of our favourite royals.

The TRF Team

Does anyone know why they were married on the Isle of Wight?

Does anyone know why they were married on the Isle of Wight?

I think because Queen Victoria chose it to be that way. She was very controlling of Beatrice in all aspects of her life. In fact, she wouldn't have let Beatrice marry at all, but she made the princess promise to live with her (along with her own husband and children) at Osborne House for as long as Victoria was alive.

I think because Queen Victoria chose it to be that way. She was very controlling of Beatrice in all aspects of her life. In fact, she wouldn't have let Beatrice marry at all, but she made the princess promise to live with her (along with her own husband and children) at Osborne House for as long as Victoria was alive.

You are so correct. In Lance Salway's book, "Queen Victoria's grandchildren there is a mention that Queen Victoria was determined that Beatrice should never marry but remain the "prop,comfort and companion to her widowed mother to old age"
When Beatrice informed her mother that she fell in love with Henry of Battenberg the Queen was angry. She refused to allow her daughter to marry and did not talk to Beatrice for seven months. She only gave her permission when both Beatrice and Henry agreed to live with the Queen after their marriage.

Excerpt taken from " The shy princess: The life of Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrice, the youngest daughter and constant companion of Queen Victoria" by David Duff describes the wedding dress in some detail.

"Princess Beatrice's wedding dress was of white satin, trimmed with orange blossom and lace, the lace overskirt held by bouquets of the blossom entwined with white heather. There was lace, too, on the pointed neck line, and on the sleeves, for the Princess was a lover of, and an expert on, lace. One of her most treasured possessions was a tunic of old point d'Alencon which had belonged to Catherine of Aragon. Knowing her daughter's love of lace, the Queen now bestowed a signal favour upon her. She allowed Princess Beatrice to wear the Honiton lace which she herself had worn on her wedding day...It was a very precious possession to the Queen, and Princess Beatrice was the only one of her daughters to be given the opportunity to wear it."

So, given the above description of Beatrice's gown, does anyone know, when the say the dress is "trimmed with orange blossom" and that the overskirt is "held by bouquets of blossom", do they mean real, actual live flower blossoms, or ribbon flowers or embroidery or something?

Beatrice's wedding dress was beautiful. I love the swirl of flowers round the dress.

Back
Top Bottom