Prince Wilhelm of Sweden and Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna of Russia - 1908

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
On 3 May 1908 Prince Wilhelm of Sweden, Duke of Södermanland and 2nd son of king Gustav V of Sweden and Princess Viktoria of Baden, married Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna of Russia. Maria was the daughter of Grand Duke Pavel Alexandrovitch of Russia and Princess of Greece & Denmark. The couple married at Tsarkoje Selo and would divorce in 1914:

WilhelmandMariaPavlovna1908.jpg

==
copyrights expired

The cover of the Los Angeles Times:

1908_0504_cover.jpg

==
copyrights expired

Marie wrote in her book that it wasn't a pleasant match and forced upon her by Ella but Warwick argues in his book about Ella that they had exchanged very warm letters to each other.

The Grand Duchess was the last one to wear the Russian bridal crown.

And look at that court dress! I believe it was made with silver thread. Talk about HEAVY!

And look at that court dress! I believe it was made with silver thread. Talk about HEAVY!

According to Prince Nikolaos the dress was of silver cloth with 12 diamond buttons reaching to the end of the dress, it had open sleeves hanging from the shouders to the waist.
The bride wore diamond earrings, and three strings of pearls which the Tsar offerred as his personal present. The Kakoshnik and a long veil and the miniature Imperial crown in diamonds......a 4 yard long of red velvet and ermine.....
Sounds like a very elaborate beautiful dress. No wonder they needed pages to assist her.

They were the late Prince Lenaert of Sweden's parents.

They were the late Prince Lenaert of Sweden's parents.
I wondered if he were still alive. I read Marie's bio. and she said she had to leave the boy in Sweden, I'm sure for succession reasons. How hard that would be!

On April 20, 1908, the Associated Press reported:

Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna has been receiving deputations from the local towns, the nobles, local businesses and the troops of the local garrison, and was congratulated by them on her approaching marriage.

I wondered if he were still alive. I read Marie's bio. and she said she had to leave the boy in Sweden, I'm sure for succession reasons. How hard that would be!
Count Lennart Bernadotte died aged 95 in 2004.

What were the grounds/reasons for divorce?

Back
Top Bottom