The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Historical Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Prince Paul of Yugoslavia and Princess Olga of Greece & Denmark - 1923

On 22 october 1923 Prince Paul of Yugoslavia princess Olga of Greece and Denmark daughter of Prince Nicholas of Greece and Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia. The marriage took place in Belgrade:

===
copyrights expired

Old 12-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought Olga married the Prince in London. He was a student at Oxford when they met. Am I wrong? Thanks Marengo

Old 12-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

The Duke of York and Prince Paul met each other while the latter studied at Oxford indeed. They became friends and the duke was best man at the wedding. i believe Princess Olga actually was one of the few foreign royals that became close to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother btw. The couple married in belgrade tough, which would also explain the large amount of royalties from the balkans in the group photo.

I am not sure but in 1923 the duke & duchess of York also were sponsor of the future king Peter II of Yugoslavia, for which they apparently also traveled to the country. I supose that both occassions happened during one visit of the York couple (seems more logical than they travelling twice in one year to Yugoslavia in 1923).
Old 12-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

It makes sense Marengo. I just believed they were married in London but then again your explanation makes much more sense.
Thank you.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
On 22 october 1923 Prince Paul of Yugoslavia princess Olga of Greece and Denmark daughter of Prince Nicholas of Greece and Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia. The marriage took place in Belgrade:

===
copyrights expired
I can recognize (sitting, first row, from left), Elena (bride's mother), queen-dowager Sophie of Greece (in mourning dress, as customary at the time - her husband had recently passed), bride, groom, Marie de Roumanie, Maria of Yugoslavia, (standing, second row), prince Nicholas of Greece, the Duke of York (George VI), the Duchess of York, Alexander I of Serbia, Ferdinand de Roumanie, the groom's father, and on the third row, Paul of Greece (Paul I). Can anyone recognize the rest?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

WHo is the groom's father ? I think Marina and Elisabeth , the bride's sisters should be on the picture. Perhaps the lady in white behind Elena ?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Prince Arsen, the father of the groom, is standing next to king ferdinand of romania. I believe the lady standing on the right is queen Elisabeth of Greece, née Pss. of Romania. The man behind king Alxander is crown prince Carol of Romania.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:41 AM
Courtier

It seems to me that the duchess of York is the lady sitting at far right.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Courtier

Sitting on the floor:

-Princess Marina of Greece
-Princess Ileana of Romania

Sitting in the first row from left to right:

-Princess Helen Vladimirovna of Greece
-Queen Sophie of Greece
-Princess Olga of Greece
-Prince Paul of Yugoslavia
-Queen Marie of Romania
-Queen Elizabeth of GB the "Queen Mother",at that time Duchess of York

Standing from left to right:

-Princess Elizabeth of Greece
-Prince Nicholas of Greece
-Princess Irene of Greece,later Duchess of Savoy-Aosta
-King George VI of GB,at that time Duke of York
-King Paul of Greece,at that time Prince Paul of Greece
-Princess Helena Petrovna of Russia
-King Carol II o Romania,at that time Prince Carol of Romania
-King Alexander I of Yugoslavia
-Princess Maria Demidoff de San-Donato,Dowager Princess Abamelek-Lazarev,aunt of Prince Paul of Yugoslavia
-King Ferdinand I of Romania
-Prince Arsen of Yugoslavia,father of Prince Paul
-Crown Princess Helen of Romania
-Queen Elisabeth of Greece,born Princess of Romania

Queen Maria of Yugoslavia was not present due to recovering from the difficult birth of Crown Prince Peter,later King Peter II of Yugoslavia who will later marry Queen Sophie of Greece's granddaughter Princess Alexandra...