Prince Nicholas of Greece & Denmark and Grand Duchess Elena of Russia - 1902

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
On Prince Nicholas of Greece & Denmark, 3rd son of King George of the Hellenes, married Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna, only daughter of Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovitch of Russia and Duchess Marie of Mecklenburg Schwerin. The couple married in St. Petersburg (at Tsarkoye Selo):

helen.jpg

==
copyrights expired

Marengo,
Is that a wedding picture ?? it seems more a coronation picture
She is Marina of Kent and Olga of Yugoslavie's mother. She brought the jewels at the Greek's Court. She looks beatiful.
Do you have other pirctures of them ?

Yes it is; she is wearing the traditional bridal attire for a Romanov bride (somewhat excessive to say the least ;)). I think all brides of the Romanov family wore this tiara and other jewels at their wedding. Note that behind the tiara she is wearing a bridal crown. I believe some of the jewels belonged to Catherine the Great.

Marengo, isn't that "Greek Nicky" that Ella had a bit of a crush on??

Marengo,
Is that a wedding picture ?? it seems more a coronation picture
She is Marina of Kent and Olga of Yugoslavie's mother. She brought the jewels at the Greek's Court. She looks beatiful.
Do you have other pirctures of them ?

They had three daughters Olga, (married P Paul of Serbia) Elisabeth and Marina (Duchess of Kent)

Oh, so they are the proud royal parents of the trio Greek/Russian beauties.

I was reading the book "Alice" by Vickers and based on different sources, the Grand Duchess was very aware of her heritage and was "looking down" on Princess Alice (Princess Andrew) and Marie Bonaparte her sisters in law. She felt she was above them both on the royal totem pole. Her daughter Marina of Kent felt the same way about hers when she became a member of the British Royal family.

Arent they Grandparents of Prince Michael of Kent

:previous:

yes, they are his maternal grandparents.

I was reading the book "Alice" by Vickers and based on different sources, the Grand Duchess was very aware of her heritage and was "looking down" on Princess Alice (Princess Andrew) and Marie Bonaparte her sisters in law. She felt she was above them both on the royal totem pole. Her daughter Marina of Kent felt the same way about hers when she became a member of the British Royal family.
I have to read that book! I let it go back to the library!!
Quite a few people felt that their blood was better then. What would they think today with royalty marrying commoners left and right? :D

you are right those romanovs always feel that they are above anyone else first they though their title grandduchess mean grandprincess and in the early nineteen century those daughters of paul were being scorned by other european royals for their behavior which was it was out of question for a proud romanov to marry abroad,romanovs grandduchess were not to change their fate regardless and romanovs like to degrade queens and princesses who take precedence before them by wearing their most magnificent jewels all this and last romanovs were also accuse of being to picky in the end most of them decide to marry kings daughter and descendent of paul i their distant cousins so i wouldn be surprise to learne that princess nicholas of greece look down over the greeks princesses and her daughter who am sure will look down at the duchess of yorkP (future queen elizabeth the queen mother) and the duchess of glocester as they were merely commoner people whome the romanovs avoid in tsarist russia

Marina, Duchess of Kent, reportedly referred to the Duchess of York and the Duchess of Gloucester as "those common little Scottish girls". Source was a book on the present Queen by Sarah Bradford.

Russo, those old royals are spinning in their graves as we speak. lol
The Grand Duchess reportedly drove her daughter's future father in law crazy when she insisted that her title at the invitations of her daughter Marina with the Duke of Kent, be Her Imperial Highness and her Royal Highness.
It is no surprise that Marina went on to snob the Duchess of York and Duchess of Gloucester when she joined the BRF.

The Grand Duchess reportedly drove her daughter's future father in law crazy when she insisted that her title at the invitations of her daughter Marina with the Duke of Kent, be Her Imperial Highness and her Royal Highness.
It is no surprise that Marina went on to snob the Duchess of York and Duchess of Gloucester when she joined the BRF.
Maybe she was getting back at them for all the snubs that Grand Duchess Marie of Edinburgh received?? Hmmm? :shifty:

:previous: Oh I do not believe Princess Ellen looked down her nose at the Greek royals to avenge the Duchess Marie's trials. Do you?

I think Grandduchess Elena Vladimirovna...is actually Grandduchess Xenia.Sister of Tsar Nicholas II. Right?Isn't her sister Queen Marie of Romania...?I think so. It's confusing...but I think I am right.

:previous:

No. Elena Vladimirovna was neither Grand Duchess Xenia nor the sister of Tsar Nicholas II. She was his cousin. Elena had three brothers but no sister. You must have confused something. :flowers:

I think Grandduchess Elena Vladimirovna...is actually Grandduchess Xenia.Sister of Tsar Nicholas II. Right?Isn't her sister Queen Marie of Romania...?I think so. It's confusing...but I think I am right.
Queen Marie of Roumania's sisters were: Ducky aka. Victoria Melita who married Kryill Vladimirovitch Romanov; Princess Alexandra of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and the other was Princess Beatrice whom they called "Baby Bea".

Love this one...well,after all,she was entitled to it.She often drove crazy her other son in law Prince Paul with her "silly demands"...

Elena was denifinately aware of who exactly she was.... A Russian Grand Duchess, the only girl of an immensely rich father etc... She was spoiled as a little girl and she continued to be spoiled after her marriage, since Nicholas always felt guilty for taking her away from St Petesburg's glamour. Her marriage wass definately a success, she was well matched with Nicholas. It was one of the few times she stood up against her mother and told her that she actually wanted to marry him, so it was time for Marie Pavlova to accept it .

Elena was denifinately aware of who exactly she was.... A Russian Grand Duchess, the only girl of an immensely rich father etc... She was spoiled as a little girl and she continued to be spoiled after her marriage, since Nicholas always felt guilty for taking her away from St Petesburg's glamour. Her marriage wass definately a success, she was well matched with Nicholas. It was one of the few times she stood up against her mother and told her that she actually wanted to marry him, so it was time for Marie Pavlova to accept it .

Nicholas taking her away from the glamour of St. Petersburg undoubtedly saved her life.

Last edited:
Well to be honest, she did outrank them, Marie Bonaparte as fascinating and wealthy as she was, the Bonapartes were a parvenu dynasty and her wealth came from her mother’s family who had business interests in Monte Carlo and they were not royal or nobles. Princess Alice as charitable and warm hearted as she was, was the product of a morganatic marriage so Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna definitely outranked her too.

I have to read that book! I let it go back to the library!!
Quite a few people felt that their blood was better then. What would they think today with royalty marrying commoners left and right? :D
Status meant everything in those days. Grand Duchess Elena and Princess Marina would be shocked at some of the marriages especially from some of their own descendants (particularly Princess Marina’s descendants and some of Princess Olga’s descendants) but they would certainly be impressed with Princess Elizabeth’s descendants because they have married well and the Törring-Jettenbach’s are still wealthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well to be honest, she did outrank them, Marie Bonaparte as fascinating and wealthy as she was, the Bonapartes were a parvenu dynasty and her wealth came from her mother’s family who had business interests in Monte Carlo and they were not royal or nobles. Princess Alice as charitable and warm hearted as she was, was the product of a morganatic marriage so Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna definitely outranked her too.

But the proud & haughty Elena was taken down a peg when she had to accept money from the parvenu but wealthy Marie Bonaparte during the Greek royal family's impoverished exile. And when Alice the morganaut's son Philip married the future Queen Elizabeth, Elena was not even invited to the wedding due to King George VI's strong dislike of her. George had even let be it be known she was not welcome to seek refuge in Britain during the war.

But the proud & haughty Elena was taken down a peg when she had to accept money from the parvenu but wealthy Marie Bonaparte during the Greek royal family's impoverished exile. And when Alice the morganaut's son Philip married the future Queen Elizabeth, Elena was not even invited to the wedding due to King George VI's strong dislike of her. George had even let be it be known she was not welcome to seek refuge in Britain during the war.
As I said status meant everything in those days. But of course Elena’s family could be extra and imperious. What does George VI have to do with any of this, and did she beg for asylum from him? The point that was being discussed was rank and status and she outranked Marie Bonaparte and Princess Alice, not George VI’s personal opinion of Elena and Marie Bonaparte supporting some members of the Greek royal family. Since you mentioned her giving Marie Bonaparte giving money to Elena, she even financially supported Prince Philip’s branch of the family mainly his sisters and they stayed in her house in Paris. She supported many members of the Greek royal family not just Elena. Money is not a prerequisite of being a noble, it helps but is not the end and be all when it comes to being a noble.

As I said status meant everything in those days. But of course Elena’s family could be extra and imperious. What does George VI have to do with any of this, and did she beg for asylum from him? The point that was being discussed was rank and status and she outranked Marie Bonaparte and Princess Alice, not George VI’s personal opinion of Elena and Marie Bonaparte supporting some members of the Greek royal family. Since you mentioned her giving Marie Bonaparte giving money to Elena, she even financially supported Prince Philip’s branch of the family mainly his sisters and they stayed in her house in Paris. She supported many members of the Greek royal family not just Elena. Money is not a prerequisite of being a noble, it helps but is not the end and be all when it comes to being a noble.

Yes, you are correct, status was very important but the point of my post was to show that Elena's status did her no good in the end. In fact her insistence that others give her the treatment she believed her status entitled her to led to George VI's extreme dislike of her. Yes, it is true that Marie Bonaparte financially supported other members of the Greek royal family but they did not look down their noses at her as Elena did. Marie Bonaparte received an invitation to Philip's wedding while Elena did not. Good thing she set such store on status because that's all she had. She reminds me very much of Jane Austen's Lady Catherine de Bourgh.

Yes, you are correct, status was very important but the point of my post was to show that Elena's status did her no good in the end. In fact her insistence that others give her the treatment she believed her status entitled her to led to George VI's extreme dislike of her. Yes, it is true that Marie Bonaparte financially supported other members of the Greek royal family but they did not look down their noses at her as Elena did. Marie Bonaparte received an invitation to Philip's wedding while Elena did not. Good thing she set such store on status because that's all she had. She reminds me very much of Jane Austen's Lady Catherine de Bourgh.
I stated that she could be imperious and extra and I don’t believe was close to King George VI. But at least Prince Philip was close to Princess Marina

She did have jewels and paintings that she could sell to get money and she managed to get good marriages for her daughters, but yes she was a very “Grand” Grand Duchess

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom