The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Historical Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Prince Nicholas of Greece & Denmark and Grand Duchess Elena of Russia - 1902

On Prince Nicholas of Greece & Denmark, 3rd son of King George of the Hellenes, married Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna, only daughter of Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovitch of Russia and Duchess Marie of Mecklenburg Schwerin. The couple married in St. Petersburg (at Tsarkoye Selo):

==
copyrights expired

Old 12-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Marengo,
Is that a wedding picture ?? it seems more a coronation picture
She is Marina of Kent and Olga of Yugoslavie's mother. She brought the jewels at the Greek's Court. She looks beatiful.
Do you have other pirctures of them ?

Old 12-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Yes it is; she is wearing the traditional bridal attire for a Romanov bride (somewhat excessive to say the least ). I think all brides of the Romanov family wore this tiara and other jewels at their wedding. Note that behind the tiara she is wearing a bridal crown. I believe some of the jewels belonged to Catherine the Great.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Marengo, isn't that "Greek Nicky" that Ella had a bit of a crush on??
Old 12-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Marengo,
Is that a wedding picture ?? it seems more a coronation picture
She is Marina of Kent and Olga of Yugoslavie's mother. She brought the jewels at the Greek's Court. She looks beatiful.
Do you have other pirctures of them ?
They had three daughters Olga, (married P Paul of Serbia) Elisabeth and Marina (Duchess of Kent)
Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Commoner

Oh, so they are the proud royal parents of the trio Greek/Russian beauties.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was reading the book "Alice" by Vickers and based on different sources, the Grand Duchess was very aware of her heritage and was "looking down" on Princess Alice (Princess Andrew) and Marie Bonaparte her sisters in law. She felt she was above them both on the royal totem pole. Her daughter Marina of Kent felt the same way about hers when she became a member of the British Royal family.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Arent they Grandparents of Prince Michael of Kent
Old 10-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

yes, they are his maternal grandparents.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I was reading the book "Alice" by Vickers and based on different sources, the Grand Duchess was very aware of her heritage and was "looking down" on Princess Alice (Princess Andrew) and Marie Bonaparte her sisters in law. She felt she was above them both on the royal totem pole. Her daughter Marina of Kent felt the same way about hers when she became a member of the British Royal family.
I have to read that book! I let it go back to the library!!
Quite a few people felt that their blood was better then. What would they think today with royalty marrying commoners left and right?
Old 12-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
you are right those romanovs always feel that they are above anyone else first they though their title grandduchess mean grandprincess and in the early nineteen century those daughters of paul were being scorned by other european royals for their behavior which was it was out of question for a proud romanov to marry abroad,romanovs grandduchess were not to change their fate regardless and romanovs like to degrade queens and princesses who take precedence before them by wearing their most magnificent jewels all this and last romanovs were also accuse of being to picky in the end most of them decide to marry kings daughter and descendent of paul i their distant cousins so i wouldn be surprise to learne that princess nicholas of greece look down over the greeks princesses and her daughter who am sure will look down at the duchess of yorkP (future queen elizabeth the queen mother) and the duchess of glocester as they were merely commoner people whome the romanovs avoid in tsarist russia
Old 12-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Marina, Duchess of Kent, reportedly referred to the Duchess of York and the Duchess of Gloucester as "those common little Scottish girls". Source was a book on the present Queen by Sarah Bradford.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Russo, those old royals are spinning in their graves as we speak. lol
The Grand Duchess reportedly drove her daughter's future father in law crazy when she insisted that her title at the invitations of her daughter Marina with the Duke of Kent, be Her Imperial Highness and her Royal Highness.
It is no surprise that Marina went on to snob the Duchess of York and Duchess of Gloucester when she joined the BRF.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Grand Duchess reportedly drove her daughter's future father in law crazy when she insisted that her title at the invitations of her daughter Marina with the Duke of Kent, be Her Imperial Highness and her Royal Highness.
It is no surprise that Marina went on to snob the Duchess of York and Duchess of Gloucester when she joined the BRF.
Maybe she was getting back at them for all the snubs that Grand Duchess Marie of Edinburgh received?? Hmmm?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh I do not believe Princess Ellen looked down her nose at the Greek royals to avenge the Duchess Marie's trials. Do you?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:14 AM

I think Grandduchess Elena Vladimirovna...is actually Grandduchess Xenia.Sister of Tsar Nicholas II. Right?Isn't her sister Queen Marie of Romania...?I think so. It's confusing...but I think I am right.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:48 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

No. Elena Vladimirovna was neither Grand Duchess Xenia nor the sister of Tsar Nicholas II. She was his cousin. Elena had three brothers but no sister. You must have confused something.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
I think Grandduchess Elena Vladimirovna...is actually Grandduchess Xenia.Sister of Tsar Nicholas II. Right?Isn't her sister Queen Marie of Romania...?I think so. It's confusing...but I think I am right.
Queen Marie of Roumania's sisters were: Ducky aka. Victoria Melita who married Kryill Vladimirovitch Romanov; Princess Alexandra of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and the other was Princess Beatrice whom they called "Baby Bea".
Old 03-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Love this one...well,after all,she was entitled to it.She often drove crazy her other son in law Prince Paul with her "silly demands"...
Old 03-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Courtier

Elena was denifinately aware of who exactly she was.... A Russian Grand Duchess, the only girl of an immensely rich father etc... She was spoiled as a little girl and she continued to be spoiled after her marriage, since Nicholas always felt guilty for taking her away from St Petesburg's glamour. Her marriage wass definately a success, she was well matched with Nicholas. It was one of the few times she stood up against her mother and told her that she actually wanted to marry him, so it was time for Marie Pavlova to accept it .