Prince Juan of Spain and Princess Maria de las Mercedes of the Two Sicilies - 1935

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elsa M.

Heir Apparent , TRF Author
City
--
Country
Portugal
Wedding of Prince Juan de Borbón and Princess María de las Mercedes Dos-Sicilias (the parents of the current king of Spain), on October 12th 1935. The bride's gown was designed by Worth and it was made in silver lamé with old embroiders. She used a diadem of orange blossom coming from Valencia. From Hola:

On 12 October 1935 Prince Juan of Spain, Count of Barcelona, married princess Maria de las Mercedes of the Two Sicilies. The couple married in Rome and are the parents of the present King of Spain:

JuanenMaria12-10-353.jpg

==
copyrights expired

Three more:

Barcelona.jpg
JuanenMaria12-10-352.jpg
x10.jpg

==
copyrights expired

Last edited:
Thanks for these pics. Infanta Margarita clearly resembles her mother, Doña Mercedes.

The sheen on her gown makes me think it must have been a silk dream. Gorgeous, although a bit high-necked for me. I love the way it looked with the veil and diadem.

Question: why he married her?
There was no other candidates for King's daughter-in-law?

Well, she was the daughter of an Infante of Spain and a French Princess, so she came from an excellent family; and maybe, - but this is only a speculation of mine - considering the previous marriages of his two brothers to a commoner and a noblewoman, whichever Royal woman could have been a good match...

Last edited:
:previous:
what more interesting is the fact that the brides father was at sometime an uncle by marriage to the bridegroom......for prince carlos of the two siciles, infant of spain had married in 1901, princess maria de las mercedes, the eldest daughter of king alfonso XII of spain !!.

The King Alfonso XIII did not attend her son's wedding?

yes the king was present.......as the footage adove shows.....but the thought has just occurred to me : where is the brides father, as it appears that the king had given the bride away to his own son !!. but i may be wrong here ?.....:flowers:

I think that our current crownprince, rather resembles his grandfather in post 2.

Yes, you're right SLV; while King Juan Carlos rather resembles his mother...

I fear this is a problem for most of the brides and grooms on the day of their weddings...

What was Maria de las Mercedes' title before she married? Was she Princess of the Two Sicilies or Infanta of Spain?

Prior to her marriage Her Royal Highness Princess María de las Mercedes of Bourbon-Two-Sicilies and after marriage Her Royal Highness Infanta María de las Mercedes of Spain and later Her Royal Highness The Countess of Barcelona .

Prince Juan of Spain and Princess Maria de las Mercedes of the Two Sicilies - 1935

What was Maria de las Mercedes' title before she married? Was she Princess of the Two Sicilies or Infanta of Spain?

Prior to her marriage Her Royal Highness Princess María de las Mercedes of Bourbon-Two-Sicilies and after marriage Her Royal Highness Infanta María de las Mercedes of Spain and later Her Royal Highness The Countess of Barcelona .

Up until now, I haven't found a mention of María de las Mercedes (or her siblings) being known with the title "Prince(ss) of the Two Sicilies" or "Prince(ss) of Bourbon-Two Sicilies" prior to her half-brother, Infante Alfonso, assuming the headship of the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies in 1960, though please correct me if I am wrong.

María de las Mercedes' act of birth bore the title HRH Princess of the House of Bourbon:

Acta de nacimiento y presentación de S. A. R. la Princesa de la Casa de Borbón que ha dado á luz la Serenísima Señora Infanta Doña Luisa Francisca de Orleans.
http://www.boe.es/datos/pdfs/BOE//1910/358/A00689-00691.pdf

Here is an article regarding their titles:
Infantes de España

In a Royal Decree issued in March of 1929, she and her sisters had the style of Serenísima Señora, the title of Princess, and the surname de Borbón y Orleans:

Queriendo dar una prueba de Mi Real aprecio a las Serenísimas Señoras Princesas Doña Dolores, Doña María de las Mercedes y Doña María de la Esperanza de Borbón y Orleáns; […]
http://www.boe.es/datos/pdfs/BOE//1929/076/A02010-02010.pdf

I seem to recall that Juan assumed the title of Prince of Asturias when his brothers renounced their dynastic rights, even if the title was not recognized by the Spanish Republic or by General Franco.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom