Prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden and Princess Margaret of Connaught - 1905

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
In 1905 Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden, who became crown prince of Sweden in 1907 when his grandfather died, married princess Margaret of Connaught, daughter of Queen Victoria's 3rd son, Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Princess Luise Margarethe of Prussia.

2849925291_d2a42907a9.jpg

==
copyrights expired

Last edited:
Royal Bridesmaids: Princess Ena of Batternberg & Princess Patricia of Connaught

s2s4fk.jpg

Thanks (again!) PssMarie-Elisabeth. I wonder who the other bridesmaid is next to Ena of Battenberg. The little girl seems to be Princess Mary of Wales, later the Princess Royal.

The other bridesmaid was 'Baby Bee', Princess Beatrice of Edinburgh (Duchess of Galliera). And, the little girl was Princess Mary, who later became Viscountess Lascelles.
:royalstandard:

Now you mention it, she does look a lot like her mother Maria Alexandrovna. I suppose she grew more elegant a few years later. Funny to see Ena and Beatrice next to each other considering only a decade or so later the two had a lot to do with each other in Spain, not always to Ena's delight...

-
Note that they are all wearing/carrying daisies, on their head, in the bouquet etc (since it was the bride's nickname). Princess Margriet of the Netherlands did the same (as her name also means daisy) and had them embroidered in her dress too.

No they were not first cousins. I believe the correct designation is second cousins or first cousins once removed:

Victoria > Arthur > Margaret
Victoria > Alice > Victoria > Louise

I always found it odd that he married a cousin of hers as they appeared to have had a great love story. But you can fall in love again when you lose a spouse, and O guess it really it wouldn't have been fair for him to have remained a widow for so long.

No they were not first cousins. I believe the correct designation is second cousins or first cousins once removed:

Victoria > Arthur > Margaret
Victoria > Alice > Victoria > Louise

I always found it odd that he married a cousin of hers as they appeared to have had a great love story. But you can fall in love again when you lose a spouse, and O guess it really it wouldn't have been fair for him to have remained a widow for so long.

yeah everyone deserve somebody to love:heart::wub:

But you can fall in love again when you lose a spouse, and O guess it really it wouldn't have been fair for him to have remained a widow for so long.
It was not a love match between King Gustaf Adolf and Louise Mountbatten.
When her brother Lord Mountbatten attended her funeral and saw the sadness of the King, he noted in his diaries (published in parts after his death): "So he did seem to care for her after all."
A comment which is as touching as it is telling, IMHO.

Royal marriages between two royals were seldom love matches, the marriage between Gustaf Adolf and Margaret was an exception for its time. The most many royal brides once could hope for was to be married to someone they were compatible with and whom they could be friends with.

When her brother Lord Mountbatten attended her funeral and saw the sadness of the King, he noted in his diaries (published in parts after his death): "So he did seem to care for her after all."
A comment which is as touching as it is telling, IMHO.

I was definitely aware that it was a love match between Gustaf Adolf and Margaret...perhaps love wasn't the correct term to use with Gustaf Adolf and Louise. Maybe the King was looking for a life companion. I certainly didn't know of the comment from Louis Mountbatten.

Quite frankly, the marriage of Gustaf Adolf and Louise never interested me and its a shame, because they were certainly married longer than Gustaf Adolf and Margaret. I always thought it odd that he married her cousin to me that was a bit of slap in the face in regards to the memory of Margaret. I don't know why.

I do love learning from time to time, how their children (or at least Ingrid) continued to have a relationship with their mother's family. I think I read somewhere or saw a picture of Princess Patricia's son, Alex Ramsay in Denmark for a particular event with his cousin, Queen Ingrid.

Quite frankly, the marriage of Gustaf Adolf and Louise never interested me and its a shame, because they were certainly married longer than Gustaf Adolf and Margaret. I always thought it odd that he married her cousin to me that was a bit of slap in the face in regards to the memory of Margaret. I don't know why.
I don't think it's that surprising that he married a relative to his first wife, as many of the royals were related to eachothers through queen Victoria, and nor that he chose a second wife who was more British in character than German, even if she had been born a German princess.

I think there might have been some pressure on Gustaf Adolf to get remarried soon after his first wife's death, as there were very few adult royal ladies in Sweden at the time, as his mother queen Victoria spent most of her time away from Sweden and his brother Wilhelm was divorced. There was princess Ingeborg, the wife of Gustaf Adolf's uncle prince Carl, and her two younger daughters, Märtha and Astrid.

I loved her gown. Margaret's wedding was very beautiful and regal.

Back
Top Bottom