Prince George, Duke of Kent and Princess Marina of Greece & Denmark - 1934

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
On 29 November 1934 princess Marina of Greece & Denmark, daughter of Prince Nicolaus of Greece and Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia married the youngest son of King George V, the Duke of Kent:

2719479519_f0f795667f.jpg

=
copyrights expired

Last edited:
Some more:

380446121_ecfe1f48da.jpg
2811966544_81998677b5.jpg

==
copyrights expired

Last edited:
The Religious Ceremony:

2660980273_65357ab146.jpg

2940801173_0658276a66.jpg

==
copyrights expired

Last edited:
Group Picture:

2749319976_c807ed60cd.jpg

==
copyrights expired

Last edited:
That was a stunning wedding dress - such simplicity but still appropriate for a royal wedding. Edward Molyneux really did her proud with that design. I'm glad she broke with tradition and wore a classic-looking tiara with that dress rather than having a head full of flowers.

Marengo ,
On the last group picture item 4 , I recognise TMM the King and Queen Mary of GB , but do you know the name of the others ?? hot thanks

Source: the Silver Jubilee Book
Includes the marriage certificate and one picture taken during the honeymoon

Attachments

• Kents marriage.jpg
    Kents marriage.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 1,812
I have read in several books that Marina had a bit of a limp. Was that a condition? She was very beautiful and she and George made a very handsome couple.

Thanks for photos!
It is the wedding of Prince Michael's parents, isn't it? I agree with Elspeth about the dress. :wub::wub:

She was a very elegant lady. Princess Alexandra now looks so much like her mother.
Who among her children inherited the tiara?

Prince Michael inherited the fringe tiara; I think Princess Michael has worn it from time to time.

Prince Michael inherited the fringe tiara; I think Princess Michael has worn it from time to time.

Thank you Elspeth. It seems that almost every royal house either inherited or bought the same style tiaras. I am not sure but suspect they came with the G Duchesses who came from the Romanoff clan.:flowers:

Marengo ,
On the last group picture item 4 , I recognise TMM the King and Queen Mary of GB , but do you know the name of the others ?? hot thanks

I believe the lady on the left is princess Olga of Yugoslavia, sister of Marina. Next to her Queen Maud of Norway and next to her Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna, mother of Marina. The lady on the 2nd row could be princess Victoria of the UK (Toria), sister of king George V and Queen Maud.

The man next to Queen Mary looks like King Christian of Denmark. One of the men behind him, looks like Crown Prince Olav of Norway, but it's difficult to tell because of the size of the picture.

Two more pictures, the couple with bridesmaids:

weddgroup.jpg

from l. to r.: Princess Catherine of Greece, Lady Iris Mountbatten, the Prince of Wales, Princess Eugénie of Greece, the bridal couple, Princess Kira of Russia, the Duke of York, Princess Irene of Greece and Crown Princess Juliana of the Netherlands. In front, lady May Cambridge (future Duchess of Beaufort) and Princess Elizabeth of York.

On the balcony of Buckingham Palace:

weddbalcony.jpg

Thanks again Elsa! I think this must be the first time I saw somebody actually wave with a handkerchief.

what was the tiara called?
it is really beautiful and the dress is absolutely stunning
we should have dresses like that one on Marina in this day
and age.

I don't know how the tiara is called but it is now owned by prince Michael of Kent and worn by his wife, as you can see here. I believe Pss. Marina inherited this fringe tiara from her mother, Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia, who wears it here.

Beautiful I Herd them speak on youtube for the first time yesterday not what I Expected

That was a stunning wedding dress - such simplicity but still appropriate for a royal wedding. Edward Molyneux really did her proud with that design. I'm glad she broke with tradition and wore a classic-looking tiara with that dress rather than having a head full of flowers.

Queen Mary apparently said that it was one of the most beautiful dresses she had ever seen. The material was silver and white lame with a raised "Rose of England" pattern (brocade) and extremely delicate, such that it was only taken to London two weeks before the wedding to avoid damage (Royal Romances part 27).

The man next to Queen Mary looks like King Christian of Denmark. One of the men behind him, looks like Crown Prince Olav of Norway, but it's difficult to tell because of the size of the picture.

There were many high ranking royals at the wedding including King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine of Denmark and King Haakon of Norway.

Last edited:
Olga got married 11 years before her 2 sisters.. That means for ex that Prince Alexandre of Y 's daughter has to say Auntie to Princess Michael of Kent ?

Olga got married 11 years before her 2 sisters.. That means for ex that Prince Alexandre of Y 's daughter has to say Auntie to Princess Michael of Kent ?

Probably. But in private he may have called her 'Auntie Kent' or 'Auntie Marina'.

Princess Marina of Greece & Denmark, she's a classic beauty and so is her beautiful daughter, Princess Alexandra. A perfect bride for a prince, which makes me question, why the many extramarital affairs on Prince George's part? Was it a loveless marriage or was it in his nature to fool around? In any case, I still think Princess Marina deserved all his affection...wonder if she knew of these affairs....I bet she did.

Its more complicated. He was gay, at least bisexual. But I do think that George loved Marina in his own way very much. They shared interests in music and arts and he treated her very well. I think they had an understanding about his affairs.

Its more complicated. He was gay, at least bisexual. But I do think that George loved Marina in his own way very much. They shared interests in music and arts and he treated her very well. I think they had an understanding about his affairs.

The word "understanding" baffles me, and I've read about his infamous sexual preference(s). If he loved her, treated her well and also shared common interests then why did he feel the need to continue these affairs with mostly high profiled partners, when it would obviously hurt her ego/feeling?

It would take a SAINT to "understand" your spouse's extramarital affairs, which was one too many for the dear princess to overlook.

Well, then it must have been his nature to foolishly fool around while his beautiful/elegant wife waited at home.

As far as looks go Prince George and Princess Marina is my favorite couple among the four Princes. PG's premature death was truly unfortunate. P Marina was too beautiful and young to have lived a widow.

The word "understanding" baffles me, and I've read about his infamous sexual preference(s).
Why 'infamous'? His sexual preferences, period.
The word "understanding" means that Princess Marina undoubtedly was aware about these preferences prior to the marriage, knew exactly what she was getting herself into and decided to go ahead with it.
Judging by everything I have read, their unconventional marriage was based on a great friendship and shared interests indeed, and the fact that it would be an unconventional one was very clear from the start to everyone involved.

Back
Top Bottom