King Haakon VII of Norway and Princess Maud of Wales - 1896

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elsa M.

Heir Apparent , TRF Author
City
--
Country
Portugal
Does anyone have a photo of King Haakon VII & Queen Maud? I know her wedding dress inspired Mette-Marit's own gown, but I've never seen any image of Maud's dress... Could someone possibly share it, please?

Well, I think it doesn't quite ressemble Mette-Marit's wedding gown after all... funny, because most magazines (Hello, Hola, etc.) have stated that Mette-Marit's dress was a nearly exact replica of the dress that Queen Maud wore in her wedding to Haakon VII... but I don't actually see much similarity.

Anyway, thank you very much! :flowers:

Who were the bridesmaids at Princess Maud's wedding?

Princess Maud was very happy with the prospect of marrying Prince Charles (Haakon). To her grandmother Queen Victoria, Maud wrote: I wanted to tell you how happy I am and I hope you approve of my choice.
Maud's wedding dress was made in Spitalfields.

At the time of their marriage was the unlikelihood of Prince Charles' ascending the Danish throne and their ability to lead a quiet life in England was what Charles and Maud hoped for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who were the bridesmaids at Princess Maud's wedding?

Not in order by picture:

Princess Victoria of Wales
Princess Alexandra of Fife (at this point I think she was still Lady Alexandra Duff)
Princess Margaret of Connaught
Princess Patricia of Connaught
Princess Alice of Albany
Princess Helena Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein
Princess Ingeborg of Denmark
Princess Thyra of Denmark

Well the alternative would have been to have remained a handmaiden to Mama dearest, Alexandra, like her sister Victoria. Maud was already in her late twenties, old by princess standards of the day. I think she and Carl had plenty in common and he was a cousin, so she knew a lot about him anyway.

Apparently she was rather bored with life in Denmark, however. Healthwise Maud was unsuited to those long Scandinavian winters. She was rather delicate like all Alexandra's children (most were born prematurely, irritating Queen Victoria who liked to be in at the birth of grandchildren if possible.) Maud was very thin and delicate looking. Her waist was one of the smallest I've ever seen. A grapefruit would have seemed huge next to it.

Does anyone know why did they have only one child?

Well the alternative would have been to have remained a handmaiden to Mama dearest, Alexandra, like her sister Victoria. Maud was already in her late twenties, old by princess standards of the day. I think she and Carl had plenty in common and he was a cousin, so she knew a lot about him anyway.

Apparently she was rather bored with life in Denmark, however. Healthwise Maud was unsuited to those long Scandinavian winters. She was rather delicate like all Alexandra's children (most were born prematurely, irritating Queen Victoria who liked to be in at the birth of grandchildren if possible.) Maud was very thin and delicate looking. Her waist was one of the smallest I've ever seen. A grapefruit would have seemed huge next to it.

She was harldy goig to say she wasn't "very happy"... I think it was an OK match, but she did IIRC prefer England to Denmark and Norway and I think there was a bit of tension about that, that she wanted to spend more time in Enlgand, and Carl and the Danish RF or the Norwegians were critical of this. However I agree that the alternative being to be a spinster daughter to Alexandra, wasn't appealing.. and she probably was happy to be married nad have some life of her own. I think she and Carl got on OK but it wasn't a big love affair...

Perhaps Maud wasn't very fertile. Or Carl wasn't.....or their marital life wasn't that Intimate so once they had had one child, that was enough?

At the time their son was born, Prince Carl had not yet been chosen to be King of Norway. Had this occurred earlier, perhaps he and Maud might have had more children.

At the time their son was born, Prince Carl had not yet been chosen to be King of Norway. Had this occurred earlier, perhaps he and Maud might have had more children.

I don't quite see why. Maud was 27 when she married and it was about 5 or 6 years before she had a baby.. I think she wasn't very fertile..or Carl wasn't....

Didn't the author Tor Bomann-Larsen write in his biography of King Haakon and Queen Maud that Maud, depressed and upset about her failure to conceive, underwent an artificial insemination procedure, after she had been married for six years or so, that resulted in the birth of the couple's only child, Prince Alexander (later King Olav of Norway)?

The procedure supposedly took place in London under the supervision of Sir Francis Laking, personal physician to King Edward VII. Maud was then over 35 and probably wasn't very fertile. However there are stories repeated in various accounts that it was Carl who was infertile and that Olav was Laking's child.

Last edited:
https://www.rct.uk/collection/searc...s-and-prince-charles-of-denmark-in-the-chapel

Just your ordinary picture of a wedding...there's Queen Victoria...then you notice his mother Crown Princess Louise is either having a moment with the Almighty or a plain old meltdown. ?
(Happy tears don't usually require you to put your face in your hands.)

Poor woman, but this does swing Alix not wanting to send Maud and Carl to Denmark and be left alone with 'dear Swan' from "still disliking your sister-in-law" to perhaps, "common sense".

Does anyone know what happened to Maud's wedding dress? Its my understanding that the majority of her entire wardrobe ended up at the National Museum in Oslo but I can't find any reference to her wedding dress being preserved.

Back
Top Bottom