King Alfonso XIII of Spain and Princess Victoria-Eugenie of Battenberg - 1906

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
here's a portrait of the wedding of King Alfonso XIII to Queen Victoria Eugenia, from Cover:

AlfonsoVictoriaEugenia.jpg

Wedding of Alfonso XIII of Spain and Victoria Eugenia de Battenberg, on May 31st 1906. From Hola:

Last edited:
On 31 May 1906 King Alfonso XIII of Spain married princess Victoria Eugenia (Ena) of Battenberg, the daughter of Princess Beatrie of the United Kingdom.

From wikipedia:

After the wedding ceremony, the royal procession was heading back to the Royal Palace when an assassination attempt was made on the King and his new consort (now called "Queen Victoria Eugenia" or, less formally, "Queen Ena"). Anarchist Mateu Morral threw a bomb from a balcony at the royal carriage. Ena's life was saved because, at the exact moment the bomb exploded, she turned her head in order to see St. Mary's Church, which Alfonso was showing her. She escaped injury, although her dress was spotted with the blood of a guard who was riding beside the carriage.

2702969431_46b00333d6.jpg

==
copyrights expired

Last edited:
I've never seen a close up of Ena's wedding dress before. Thanks for posting that.

I'm curious if anyone knows what those photos were taken for? Was the dress on display before the wedding? Does anyone know whatever became of the wedding dress. Just wondering if any attempt was made at having it cleaned, or if it was just left as was after the explosion.

It took quite a lot of effort for Victoria-Eugenie to be the royal bride.
King Alfonso had previously considered Princess Victoria Patricia of Connaught as a spouse.
Victoria-Eugenie had to convert to Roman Catholicism.
Alfonso's mother viewed her as a non-royal.
King Edward VII raised his niece's status to that of Her Royal Highness.

The marriage of Princess Victoria Eugenie and King Alfonso XIII

It took quite a lot of effort for Victoria-Eugenie to be the royal bride.
King Alfonso had previously considered Princess Victoria Patricia of Connaught as a spouse.
Victoria-Eugenie had to convert to Roman Catholicism.
Alfonso's mother viewed her as a non-royal.
King Edward VII raised his niece's status to that of Her Royal Highness.
Well in all honesty, Victoria Eugenie was the product of a morganatic marriage. But worse was that she was a carrier for Hemophilia and Alfonso was warned about that, but didn’t listen to that.

I thought the carriages in the infamous procession would have been open.

Moments later there was an assassination attempt,the second one in 12 months on the king.

I already know about the ugly reality of political assassination.

But to murder(or attempt to murder) a person on their wedding day takes someone truly soul dead imho.:sad:

Last edited:
I already know about the ugly reality of political assassination.

Bur to murder(or attempt to murder) a person on their wedding day takes someone truly soul dead imho.:sad:
Spain was and had been politically volatile for a long time. When people seek to change something they don’t care how they do it.

Assassination attempts and proto-fascist governments aside, it is a pity that the "pomp and circumstance" of the Alphonsine court was not restored in 1975. King Juan Carlos brought a few things back, but a more downgraded version, in line with the times. And, under Felipe and Letizia, the informality seems to have increased again as the protocol became less rigid. We hardly see bowing and curtsies in Spain anymore for example, whereas they were still common on the golden days of Juan Carlos and Sofia (before the scandals hit the Royal Family).

Back
Top Bottom