The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-15-2016, 09:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
And I'm sure her husband (who adored her) felt really complimented if he heard/read that comment. In spite of the romantic image that has always surrounded her I've never been a big fan of Sisi. Self-absorbed to the nth degree, IMHO.
Well, given that he had mistresses all of the time, I don't think that he was all that willing to hold on the marriage vows either.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Elisabeth's wedding gown in color
Empress Elisabeth's wedding dress (location unknown to gogm) | Grand Ladies | gogm

Old 03-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I wondered if things could have been different if Franz hadn't married Sissi; she wasn't as bad as Alexandria but she definitely did not help the situation in her adopted country. Then again I don't know much about the countries circumstances that lead to WWI.

IMO, Sissi's wedding dress isnt cute.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-28-2018, 05:28 PM
Aristocracy

I think Sissi was simply a very melancholic person. That was usual for upper-class ladies of the 19th century.

Too much privilege and too much time on their hands.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
I think Sissi was simply a very melancholic person. That was usual for upper-class ladies of the 19th century.

Too much privilege and too much time on their hands.
To much privilege, to much time on their hands, no real sense of purpose besides having sons and being totally subservient to a patriarchal society...
I've read theories about the constant fainting being a product of, in addition to the corset, the fact that it was the only time a woman was at the centre of attention, the only time she wasn't seen as a womb or a dowry. Queen Lovisa of Sweden-Norway quite famously had breakdowns quite often because that was the only time her philandering husband King Carl XV ever noticed or cared about her.