Crown Prince Paul of Greece and Princess Friederike of Hanover - 1938

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
On 9 January 1938 Crown Prince Paul of Greece married princess Friederike of Hanover in Athens:

2767130417_6c2c6e66d6.jpg

==

Copyrights expired

Marengo who were the bridesmaids?? One on the right looks like Queen Juliana....:flowers:

Juliana was married a year before so she would not be a bridesmaid. It would have been curious as Paul was one of the few (royal) men she was interested in, but he was reserved for Greece. As Juliana was only 3 weeks away from giving birth to her daughter Beatrix I assume she was at home though. The lady on the right might be Paul's youngest sister, Princess Katherine of Greece.

:flowers::previous: Very interesting information. I did not know that Juliana had an interest on P Paul. Thank you:flowers:

Interest might be too strongly stated. Well, some promotion for The Royal Articles, here it is explained: A Husband for Juliana

Interest might be too strongly stated. Well, some promotion for The Royal Articles, here it is explained: A Husband for Juliana

Fascinating!! So much information beautifully written and extremely easy to follow.
Q Wilhelmina had so many requirements for Juliana...Can you imagine what they had to go through to find her a husband?? :flowers:

Juliana was married a year before so she would not be a bridesmaid.

Is it a royal custom or just a European custom in general that bridesmaids must be unmarried? I'm totally unfamiliar with that. :)

Is it a royal custom or just a European custom in general that bridesmaids must be unmarried? I'm totally unfamiliar with that. :)
By virtue of its name, bridesMAIDS were traditionally unmarried women.
Wedding ceremony participants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think today, people marry at various ages so the traditions get more relaxed. I think most women would prefer to have close female relatives and friends be their bridesmaids, regardless of marital status, than make sure all of them are "maids." Also, it used be unacceptable for a second-time bride to have another big white wedding, and usually only called for one female attendant. Today, women seem to jump at the chance to wear a big white dress again with another (or the same) set of bridesmaids to do it again.
I believe Princess Margaret was the first royal to use exclusively children/teens as bridesmaids because she married at a relatively late age for the time (30) and most of her friends were already married by 1960.

Just to remind, if not mistaken,that at the marriage Konstantin of Greece to Anne Marie, the bridesmaid was his mother.

The couple were married in January 1938 and Frederika of Hanover gave birth to the future queen Sofia in November that year!

The couple were married in January 1938 and Frederika of Hanover gave birth to the future queen Sofia in November that year!

A little bit more then 9 months after the wedding. But interesting this was the case for all the future greek Kings that the first child arrivied within 1 year after the wedding. Even Princess Maria Olypmpia was born a bit more then 1 year after the Wedding of her parents.

Video of the wedding of Prince Pavlos of Greece and Princess Frederika of Hannover:

The couple were given a villa at Psyjikó north of Athens as their residence,I don't think I've ever seen a photo of it, Sofía & Constantine were both born there.

Back
Top Bottom