The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Historical Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

A groupphoto:

==
copyrights expired.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Aristocracy

Astrid & Leopold

Royal Weddings Message Board: november weddings - Astrid & Leopold

thanks to Chris

Old 05-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Aristocracy

I think that the crown of Astrid is awful =( Do you know if she was happy with his husband?

Regards!!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

Another pic of the couple
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/nr...010/08/am2.jpg
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/nr...010/08/am3.jpg
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/nr...010/08/am4.jpg

The veil
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/nr...010/08/am5.jpg
Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Serene Highness

What is on her head during one of the ceremonies? (Whatever it is looks like a dark pretzel). It looks out of place to me. Does it have some significance?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Okay, I read it another thread that it is a crown made from myrtle and that the royal brides would later plant the myrtle in their new homeland. Nice custom, does anyone know how it arose?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Okay, I read it another thread that it is a crown made from myrtle and that the royal brides would later plant the myrtle in their new homeland. Nice custom, does anyone know how it arose?
The myrtle crown is a swedish Custom. There is also the custom to wear myrtle that came from the UK. Queen Vicotoria did it first and her granddaughter Margaret planted a peace from Victoria's myrtle bush at Sofiero and her daughter Ingrid again planted a peace from her mother's bush at Fredensborg.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, I read that both royal brides transplanted pieces of the myrtle in their crowns to their new homes. Very nice custom. IMO, however, the myrtle crowns do not look good perched on top of the veil and seems out of place with the beautiful gowns.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Commoner

Today most royal brides who have separate civil and religious ceremonies have different dresses as well, but the civil wedding ensemble is usually a suit or a very simple dress. While she wore the same veil for her two weddings (although she wore the veil differently for each) Astrid had two very different and very opulent dresses for each ceremony. I wonder if her family paid for one dress and Leopold's paid for the other?

The two were also only allowed four hours alone together after the civil ceremony as they had not yet had their religious wedding.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Leopold married Princess Astrid in the Cathedral of Sainte-Gudule. How many other members of the Belgian Royal Family got married in the Cathedral of Sainte-Gudule?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Prince Leopold married Princess Astrid in the Cathedral of Sainte-Gudule. How many other members of the Belgian Royal Family got married in the Cathedral of Sainte-Gudule?
A quick answer known by heart that pops up by reading this question:
Most of them I think. At least of the generations that came after Leopold III and Astrid.
Only the marriage of Princess Astrid with Prince Lorenz was not closed there because the cathedral was closed. The cathedral was in to bad shape then (I did read somewhere that the bricks fell out of the wall).
I don´t know by heart if the Kings Leopold I and II and Albert I are married in the cathedral.

But one have to do some effort to make a list of all people who you name as member of the royal family
and find out where they are married to say for sure how many did marry there.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post

But one have to do some effort to make a list of all people who you name as member of the royal family
and find out where they are married to say for sure how many did marry there.
King Léopold I. married in Compiegne, France and King Albert I. in Munich so no they did not marry in the Cathedral St. Michele et Gudule in Brussels. But the Princesses Charlotte, Louise, Henriette and Josephine married in Btrussels but i don't know where the religious Services took place.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Leopold I married to his first wife, Princess Charlotte of Wales, in London at Carlton House (the residence of her father, the Prince of Wales). Then he married his second wife, Princess Louise of Orléans, at the Castle of Compiegne, in France.
Albert I married to Duchess Elisabeth in Bavaria in Munich, Bavaria.

Of the other Belgian Kings, Leopold III, Baudouin, Albert II and Philippe all married at the Cathedral of St. Michel and St. Gudula.
Leopold III married to his second wife, Mary Liliane Baels, in Laeken.

Of the other members of the Royal Family (past and present):
Princess Stephanie (daughter of Leopold II) married to Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria in Vienna and secondly to Count Elemer de Lonyay at the Castle of Miramare, in Italy;
her sister Princess Clémentine married to Prince Victor Napoleon at the Castle of Moncalieri, in Italy;
Prince Philippe, Count of Flandres, married to Princess Marie of Hohenzollern in Berlin;
Princess Josephine (daughter of the Count and Countess of Flandres) married to Prince Karl Anton of Hohenzollern at the Royal Palace in Bruxelles;
Princess Josephine Charlotte (daughter of King Leopold III) married to the then Hereditary Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg at the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Luxembourg;
Princess Astrid (daughter of King Albert II) married to Archduke Lorenz of Austria at the Church of Notre Dame du Sablon in Bruxelles;
Prince Laurent married to Claire Coombs at the Cathedral of St. Michel and St. Gudula in Bruxelles;
Prince Alexandre (son of Leopold III and of the Princess of Rethy) married to Lea Wolman in Deben, Suffolk;
his sister Princess Marie Christine married both her husbands in the USA;
their sister Princess Esmeralda married to Sir Salvator Moncada in London;
Princess Maria José (daughter of Albert I) married to Crown Prince Umberto of Italy at the Paoline Chapel at the Quirinal Palace in Rome.

Princess Charlotte (daughter of Leopold I), Princess Louise (daughter of Leopold II) and Princess Henriette (sister of Albert I) married in Bruxelles, though I don't know where exactly.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Serene Highness

Paola, Stefan, and MAfan, Thank you for the locations where the Belgian Royalty married.

Tags
king leopold, leopold iii, princess astrid, princess astrid of sweden