The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Historical Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-25-2009, 04:15 PM

Beautiful bride, Ingrid was pretty woman!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:46 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Old 06-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
What is the little bush Swedish Royal brides seem to have on their heads? Queen Astrid of Belgium (born princessof Sweden) also had it.
It is a crown made from myrtle leaves and the leaves came from a plant that Margaret of Connaught brought with her from Britain. It was customary I think for Swedish brides then to wear a crown at their wedding and Ingrid wore a crown made from this myrtle plant to honour her mother's memory. Her cousins Martha and Astrid also wore the same type of crown although I don't know if it was to honour their aunt or if they just liked the idea . Ingrid also took a branch from this myrtle with her in Denmark and planted it there and if I remember correclty, her daughters and granddaughters used used a few leaves from this plant in their wedding bouquets
Old 06-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Aristocracy

Isn't the myrtle tradition from the myrtle bush from which Queen Victoria's wedding bouquet was assembled? I have seen yellow metal and green and white enamel maids of honour coronets originating from the same tradition.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
What is the little bush Swedish Royal brides seem to have on their heads? Queen Astrid of Belgium (born princessof Sweden) also had it.
It's not just Ingrid and Astrid who have been wearing myrtle crowns/myrtle decorated crowns at their weddings, so did princess Louise of the Netherlands, married to the future Karl XV of Sweden, princess Sophie of Nassau, married to the future Oscar II, and princess Victoria of Baden, married to the future Gustav V, facts from the Swedish Royal Court, Kungliga bröllop - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

It was also very common with myrtle crowns among "ordinary" brides in Sweden, from the mid/late 1800:s until the 1940:ies, even today there are brides who chooses to wear a myrtle crown at their wedding.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I love the fabric of her gown.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Old 09-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Nobility

For some reason, I think this dress looks better off than on!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

a good video
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Aristocracy

Most of the pictures are gone, but the videos are still there. And they were great! Never seen anything related to their wedding, so it was an absolute treat. Her gown was beautiful; simple and elegant, and I much prefer it to e.g. Diana's gown, which had a bit too much going, I find. - Thank you, again, for a treasure from the past!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:18 AM
Aristocracy

Fairy tale, thank you very much for the wonderful photos! They are beautiful, and my favourite one must be the one where they are stepping out of the church and the sun is shining on their faces. You can literally feel the happiness they are radiating. - I also like the way Frederik looks at Ingrid ever so gently.

And how much time has gone since these photos were taken! And sadly, everyone in these photos, royals, staff members and the public, are all gone now. The beauty of everyone involved on that day will stay for years to come.

Fairy tale, I had no idea that these photos even existed. Thank you for sharing them with me.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Commoner

Frederik was actually engaged to Olga of Greece in the early 20s. They broke off their engagement (supposedly it was mutual) after she met Paul of Yugoslavia. Ingrid was linked to three of George V's sons (the future Edward VIII, the Duke of Gloucester, and the Duke of Kent) as well as Carol of Greece.

In addition to the myrtle Ingrid used, she also requested the church be decorated with delphinium - lots of it. A plane full of delphinium was flown in from the UK especially for the wedding.

Tags
crown prince frederik, ingrid of sweden, king frederik ix, princess ingrid, queen ingrid