The van Vollenhoven Family, Current Events & Pictures Part 1 (December 2005 - )

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The chapel with underlying mausoleum for the patrician Van Vollenhoven family has been restored. Picture and link to video: https://www.adelinnederland.nl/de-tempel-van-de-herfstlaan-de-grafkelder-van-vollenhoven/

The chapel was built for one of the ancestors of Professor Pieter van Vollenhoven: the very wealthy Maurits van Vollenhoven (1860-1885) who married the noble jonkvrouwe Maria Louisa van de Poll (1857-1928).

Professor van Vollenhoven was not the first one to marry into a royal family. The beforementioned couple Van Vollenhoven-Van de Poll had a son, Ambassador Dr Maurits Willem Raedinck van Vollenhoven (1882-1976).

This Van Vollenhoven would marry Doña María Cristina de Borbón y Madan (1886-1985), daughter of Don Pedro de Alcántara de Borbón y Borbón (1862-1892), Duque de Dúrcal. Their union was without issue.

The coffins of the Van Vollenhovens are in the crypt under the chapel, not visible on the pictures.

Other link: https://braam-minnesma.nl/restauratie-grafkapel-van-vollenhoven-afgerond/

Last edited:
The chapel with underlying mausoleum for the patrician Van Vollenhoven family has been restored. Picture and link to video: https://www.adelinnederland.nl/de-tempel-van-de-herfstlaan-de-grafkelder-van-vollenhoven/

The chapel was built for one of the ancestors of Professor Pieter van Vollenhoven: the very wealthy Maurits van Vollenhoven (1860-1885) who married the noble jonkvrouwe Maria Louisa van de Poll (1857-1928).

Professor van Vollenhoven was not the first one to marry into a royal family. The beforementioned couple Van Vollenhoven-Van de Poll had a son, Ambassador Dr Maurits Willem Raedinck van Vollenhoven (1882-1976).

This Van Vollenhoven would marry Doña María Cristina de Borbón y Madan (1886-1985), daughter of Don Pedro de Alcántara de Borbón y Borbón (1862-1892), Duque de Dúrcal. Their union was without issue.

The coffins are in the crypt under the chapel, not visible on the pictures.

Other link: https://braam-minnesma.nl/restauratie-grafkapel-van-vollenhoven-afgerond/
What a splendid restoration of the Van Vollenhoven Chapel and mausoleum.

My understanding of Dutch is quite basic but is Doña María Cristina de Borbón buried there? too?

:previous:

No, she is burried in the Cementerio Sacramental de San Isidro in Madrid, as is her husband:

https://www.geni.com/people/Maurits...ven-heer-van-Kleverskerke/6000000003725599949

Other members of this branch of the Borbon family are burried at the same cemetary.

--
According to wikipedia the family rented the Sparrendaal estate for decades from the bishopric of Utrecht. Maurits received Felix Youssoupov and Queen Victoria Eugenia there. I had no idea that either of the two had visited the Netherlands. In 1919 Van Vollenhoven moved to Madrid and in 1921 he married his wife. He would be based in Madrid for the rest of his carreer and life. Apparently there is a buste of him in the Belgian senate, due to his efforts for providing humanitarian aid to Belgium in the first world war. His mother's coursin Jkvr. Henriëtte van de Poll was a lady-in-waiting of Queen Emma.

Last edited:
Princess Margriet and Prince Pieter-Christiaan met the Dutch Invictus team prior to the opening ceremony of the Invictus Games in Den Haag today, April 16:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Princess Margriet is blending in very well (thanks to her orange with black clothing).

Prince Floris gave a free concert entitled „Care 4 Care“ to thank staff in the health care sector for their commitment during the Corona Pandemic. The concert took place at the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam yesterday, September 10, and was also attended by Prince Pieter-Christiaan and Princess Anita, Prince Bernhard and Princess Annette.

** robinutrecht gallery **

Princess Margriet and Prof. Pieter van Vollenhoven as Patrons, Prince Floris and Princess Aimée attended the 41st edition of the Netherland-America Foundation Ball in New York last night.

** Pic ** twitter post ** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
How lovely that their youngest son and daughter-in-law joined them this year!

A pity they didn't take a tiara for Pss Aimee too. There are so many of them and one of the smaller ones would be appropriate.

A pity they didn't take a tiara for Pss Aimee too. There are so many of them and one of the smaller ones would be appropriate.

Indeed, but i think also in the past some of Margriet's daughter-in-laws have attended but none of them wore a tiara. As far as i recall the only time the wore a tiara was on their respective Wedding Days

I believe it is not allowed by the statutes of the Foundation. In 2008 the four original family foundations became subordinate to a new "mother foundation": The Foundation Crown Properties of the House Orange-Nassau with as aim: "te bevorderen dat afstammelingen van Hare Majesteit Koningin Wilhelmina, Prinses van Oranje-Nassau, bij de uitoefening van de Koninklijke waardigheid de beschikking hebben over de daartoe nodige of gewenste roerende zaken".

("to promote that descendants of Her Majesty Queen Wilhelmina, Princess of Orange-Nassau, have access to the necessary or desired movable properties when exercising the royal dignity")

It is open for debate if Aimée van Vollenhoven was "exercising the royal dignity" but Princess Margriet of the Netherlands, a born Princess of the House Orange-Nassau, daughter of a Queen, granddaughter of a Queen, sister of a Queen, aunt of a King of course always is "exercising the royal dignity". No any functionary of the Foundation will keep the cassettes closed for her.

Whe have seen the Duchess of Parma and her sisters-in-law Princess Margarita and Princess Maria Carolina de Bourbon de Parme sometimes borrowing royal jewels. But they are descendants of the late Queen Wilhelmina and are "exercising the royal dignity" as members of "een aanverwant Huis" ("a related House").

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. I understand the logic of the statute, but it can be open into interpretation how to regard the royal dignity. For example: was the Annemarie Gualtherie van Weezel excersizing the royal dignity when she got married in 2010? I would say no, but the foundation obviously & firtunately interperted it as a yes.

It will be interesting to see if the granddaughters of Pss Margriet will wear a tiara on their respective wedding days.

Last edited:
According to Royalblog, Prince Floris was DJ at the after party of the NAF ball, which is why he and his wife joined the party this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see Pieter-Christiaan one day for the same duty as well (although it seems that Floris is a bit more active as royal DJ than his brother).

My thoughts too,I can't recall ever seeing any of Princess Margriet's daughter in laws wearing a tiara?

My thoughts too,I can't recall ever seeing any of Princess Margriet's daughter in laws wearing a tiara?

Neither the daughter(s)-in-law of Princess Christina. All children of Margriet and Christina are no members of the Royal House. The children of Princess Irene are members of "een aanverwant Huis" (a related House).

But apart from the foundation: Margriet is a millionaire. Her son Bernhard Jr even is one of the wealthiest men in the Netherlands. Without any problem they can purchase a nice cassette of jewels by themselves.

Princess Mabel is a exploding in wealth thanks to her late husband's investments. Her two daughters can have any cassette of jewels, if they need so. The fact that no new big jewels have been seen, seems to hint to little interest in bijoux.

Last edited:
Neither the daughter(s)-in-law of Princess Christina. All children of Margriet and Christina are no members of the Royal House.

But Princes Maurits and Bernhard remained members of the Royal House until the abdication of Queen Beatrix.

But Princes Maurits and Bernhard remained members of the Royal House until the abdication of Queen Beatrix.

Yes they were but never wore a tiara other than on the wedding day.

I'm not sure what sort of incomes their husbands have and buying their wives a tiara might have been out of the question.

Yes they were but never wore a tiara other than on the wedding day.

I'm not sure what sort of incomes their husbands have and buying their wives a tiara might have been out of the question.

Bernhard Jr van Vollenhoven owns several hundreds of real estate in Amsterdam, owns the Media Park in Hilversum (home to a number of Dutch broadcasters and media companies, as well the headquarters of the national public broadcasting system NPO), owns the Formula One Grand Prix race circuit in Zandvoort, owns an ICT-company and his house in the densely populated city centre of Amsterdam reveals that here lives a man with great wealth (picture).

The three other Van Vollenhovens seem more "normal" but all of them seem not really starving for a slice of bread:

Maurits van Vollenhoven owns a firm aimed at "cataclyzing growth" for innovative companies as well a Formula E racing team.

Pieter-Christiaan van Vollenhoven is a senior marketing strategist and -analyst working for an Amsterdam-based ict-firm.

Floris van Vollenhoven and a friend own an investment company which wants "to build a winning culture as a committed partner".

All of them can go to any jewellery and purchase a nice diamond collier. Pas de problème. And they will inherit mama's well-managed fortune, somewhere in the future. So to see mama's fortune will be divided into skilled hands, knowing how to preserve, to manage and to enlarge wealth.

Last edited:
But there are so many diadems belonging to the royal house. Surely something could have been selected from the royal jewelry stash.

Back
Top Bottom