The Extended Bragança Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portugal

Commoner
City
Portugal
Country
United States
I am mainly looking for information on the Braganca descendants in the United States.Like Anita Stewart and Nevada Stoody Hayes.

Anything would be great!

I am afraid I don´t know what you mean, the Bragança royal family or people from Bragança or just the surname Bragança?

Last edited:
From a quick search found this small bio on Nevada Stoody Hayes.Unfortunately no refernce is made on where this information is from.
[She was from this bio an odd lady.]

Mrs. Astor and The Gilded Age

Both D.Manuel and Queen D.Amélia were devastated when they heard the news of the Duke of Oporto's wedding as he kept it a secret until the last moment.

Since D.Manuel had no children, D.Afonso was, for the second time, the presumptive heir to the throne.
He had been the heir until the birth of D.Carlos' first son Pr. D.Luis Felipe.

D.Manuel stripped him of that condition, on the grounds that he did not allow the wedding.

Living in exile for so long and with no expectations of a royal return, and always having been not to keen to the royal protocol, I bet that did not cause him much grief, although, as the sensitive man he was, the way his nephew and sister-in-law acted, must have hurt his feelings.

D.Afonso was probably the most popular member of the RF.

He was a keen sportsman and loved cars and car races.

He was one of the founders of the Portuguese Automobile Club, to which D.Carlos was the honorary president.

D.Afonso drove his own car, one of the very few in Lisbon at the time.

He got the nickname "Arreda", which he cried out loud to the pedestrians and other drivers.
"Arreda" meaning "move away".

What happened to Anita's wealth ?
The American Braganças never seemed to be "swimming in dollars" and had ordinary careers.
One was a TWA (?) pilot...

D.Afonso drove his own car, one of the very few in Lisbon at the time.

He got the nickname "Arreda", which he cried out loud to the pedestrians and other drivers.
"Arreda" meaning "move away".

Today at dinner a family friend told me exactly the same story! :D

Very interesting, JSP! Sadly the history books don't mention D. Afonso or Anita a lot ... I would like to know more details about what happened to Anita after his death, but I don't find much info on the internet.

Today at dinner a family friend told me exactly the same story! :D

Very interesting, JSP! Sadly the history books don't mention D. Afonso or Anita a lot ... I would like to know more details about what happened to Anita after his death, but I don't find much info on the internet.

Aren't you mixing Anita and Nevada ?

After the duque of Viseu death, Anita relinquished her royal titles and regain the american citizenship.
Her sons also became american citizens.
I think she was never in Portugal.

As to Nevada, after D.Afonso's death she quarrelled the portuguese state for the inheritance she felt entitled to.
With the greatest modesty she let know that she would settle just with Palácio da Pena in Sintra :lol: .

The republican government negotiated with her and she was allowed to take some small pieces, objets d'art and jewellery that belonged to D. Afonso and were left in Lisbon after the revolution.

Nevada did visited Portugal, at least, she was in Lisbon and Sintra.

From here she went back to the States and never returned.
She died in 1941.
Wonder if the two transatlantic duchesses ever met and compared their stories :queen4: .

Thanks JSP for your informative posts about them.
This is all so interesting... I am sure most people in Portugal know nothing about all this...
It would be nice if some TV station decided to interview Anita's children... I would like to see how they look like and hear what they wish to say about their parents.
If I had (much) more info about these two ladies I would like to write an article for TRF ;) about them!

This is all so interesting... I am sure most people in Portugal know nothing about all this...
It would be nice if some TV station decided to interview Anita's children... I would like to see how they look like and hear what they wish to say about their parents.
If I had (much) more info about these two ladies I would like to write an article for TRF ;) about them!

That would be great.I like reading anything from you Regina.Thank you very much!!:flowers:

Some of the american Braganzas (they write it with a "z" instead of "ç") were present at D.Duarte's wedding.
Actually, there aren't many of them...
There are some photos of them in Malcolm Howe's book "The Braganza Story"

I would love to hear from them too.

That would be a little bit difficult.
The 3 children of D.Miguel and Anita are dead for a long time:

1. Isabel, the eldest committed suicide in London in 1946.
She left a son Alexandre Dorozynski, b.San Francisco 1931.He was twice married and had a daughter from 2nd wife:Tatiana Sophie Dorozynski, b.Paris 2 Dec 1966

2. John married a heiress from the Dodge family (car makers) 1912-1991
1 son, Michael b. 1951 who had one son and two daughters.

3. Michael (1915-96) had two daughters, Anita and Michele
Anita has one son and one daughter.

That would be a little bit difficult.
The 3 children of D.Miguel and Anita are dead for a long time:

1. Isabel, the eldest committed suicide in London in 1946.
She left a son Alexandre Dorozynski, b.San Francisco 1931.He was twice married and had a daughter from 2nd wife:Tatiana Sophie Dorozynski, b.Paris 2 Dec 1966

2. John married a heiress from the Dodge family (car makers) 1912-1991
1 son, Michael b. 1951 who had one son and two daughters.

3. Michael (1915-96) had two daughters, Anita and Michele
Anita has one son and one daughter.

The part you included in the quote box was actually from Regina.
And I meant I would like to hear about them. Sorry for my typo.

There are some photos of them in Malcolm Howe's book "The Braganza Story"

How good of a book is this? Is it very informative as to the history of the House of Braganza? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you cannot read Portuguese it´s a very good book.
If you can read Portuguese there many better.

Simon Corea of Kotte, (lived in the early 1600s) Sri Lanka married Dona Isabella de Braganza. It is claimed that she was a member of the Braganza royal family. Does anyone knnow her ancestry?

If you cannot read Portuguese it´s a very good book.
If you can read Portuguese there many better.

Does the book entitled, "The Braganza Story," which has been out of print for several years, only discuss the American Braganza families? Which Braganza book can you recommend that discusses and has pictures of the lesser known and less important Braganza/Braganca characters from the 1800s? Anything regarding Austrian and Prussian families? Thanks in advance for your expertise and sharing.

Does the book entitled, "The Braganza Story," which has been out of print for several years, only discuss the American Braganza families? Which Braganza book can you recommend that discusses and has pictures of the lesser known and less important Braganza/Braganca characters from the 1800s? Anything regarding Austrian and Prussian families? Thanks in advance for your expertise and sharing.

The Braganza Story has as sub-title "A visit to the Royal Pantheon" and therefore it covers all the Bragança Dynasty from 1640 to 1910 with photos of the royal tombs.

It also relates the Miguelist branch and its descendants.

You might find interesting the book "A descendência de D.João VI" by Perry Vidal (see below).
Lots of photos of most of the King's descendants, but up to the 1930/40s.
Probably it would not be your main interest but there is a rather vast display of photos of D.Ana de Jesus Maria's descendants.

Descendência d'El-Rei Dom João VI (Open Library)

Thanks JSP. Does the referenced book include ALL of the Braganca/Braganza relatives from 1640-1910, with pictures, etc., not just the main reigning Kings/Queens -- to get a broader view of the families? Wikipedia does a great job with the main players but does not focus on the lesser folks, which is their mandate.

There is a lot written on line but I wonder if someone could offer a brief, direct, description of what happened to the Braganca family around 1706? Was there a conflict between several factions around that time -- perhaps Braganca Heugonots vs Braganca non-Heugonots?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks JSP. Does the referenced book include ALL of the Braganca/Braganza relatives from 1640-1910, with pictures, etc., not just the main reigning Kings/Queens -- to get a broader view of the families? Wikipedia does a great job with the main players but does not focus on the lesser folks, which is their mandate.

There is a lot written on line but I wonder if someone could offer a brief, direct, description of what happened to the Braganca family around 1706? Was there a conflict between several factions around that time -- perhaps Braganca Heugonots vs Braganca non-Heugonots?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but what do you mean about Bragança-Huguenots and non-Huguenots about 1706 ?

There aren't any Bragança Huguenots.

In 1706 D.Pedro II died and was succeeded by his eldest living son (by 2nd marriage) D.João V.

It was a peaceful transition without any conflicts.

José

No photos of the wedding of Afonso, Duke of Porto and Nevada Stoody Hayes?

Back
Top Bottom