The Duke and Duchess of Bragança and Family: February 2008- December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Next to her is Portugal's most famous film director Manoel de Oliveira.

At 102 (yes, not a typo, he's 102) he continues very active and filming .

Thanks Agnes! Can you highlight some points of the article? I understand that Dom Duarte wants a referendum about the monarchy in Portugal, but what else is written?

Marengo,

I can just translate it:

Dom Duarte Pio compares current crisis to that of the First Republic and asks for a referendum on monarchy

Duarte de Bragança considers the current crisis Portugal is facing is "comparable to the one lived in the days of the First Republic" and defends the solution would be for the country to return to monarchy, the reason why he insists on a referendum.

On a speech PÚBLICO had access to and that D. Duarte said early tonight at Convento do Beato for the celebrations od the Restoration of Independence, that will be marked tomorroy, December 1st, he remembers "the Republic, founded by force by taking over a democratic regime has never been legitimized through popular vote".

Also: the republican regime didn't have the "ability to solve any of the problems the monarchy was acused of" and it should be meaningful that "the more developed and stable democracies in Europe" are monarchies.

"The time has come for the society to freely state what state it wants", emphasized D. Duarte, that recurringly talks on the necessity of a referendum on the subject. And he points "polls that even refer 20, 30 ou 40% of monarchists, depending on how the questions are placed, percentages that are more important for resulting from the choice of free people and not on the propagandas from parties or shady movements". Therefore he believes the monarchists of today to be a minority, but that "they'll be the majority in the future ahead".

On a message of "cheer" to the portuguese, D. Duarte appeals: "Remember we had far graver moments in our history in which the perennial of the royal institution was the decisive support for the recovery attained. The dinasty, based in the family, offers the reference of continuity Portugal has been needing for a hundred years".

The "humiliating situation" of Portugal

In his speech D. Duarte reflects on the current economic and financial crisis, but also on its social and educational side. And, such as the President of the Republic has emphasized in several speeches in the past months, he considers the sea and lusophony target areas for "project with future" for Portugal and the countries within whe community of countries that have portuguese as an official language.

The head of the Royal House classifies as an "humiliating situation" the set in which Portugal currently is, and that that forces to "reflect on new models for economic development and life in society, inspired on charity". It is in this field he considers "desirable to boost the old traditions of volunteering" and mainly to use the "beneficiaries of State subsidies as a condition for the reception of said subsidies". "Receiving subsidies without a contribution to society equals receiving alms, and that isn't good", he points.

Another factor for the recovery of society, point D. Duarte, is education, its system should be rehtought, from kindergarden to higher education, "by adapting the degrees to the current and future professional needs", and by the creation of conditions so that the families with less resources can choose the schools for their children to enroll, without that implying an increase in the state's expenses.

"Today, it is in the sea and lusophony that our attention should be focused as target areas to realize a project with future for the country" and for CPLP, he says, following the same line of thought as the President of the Republic has been defending.

D. Duarte also leaves his express support to the consitution of a Federation of Lusophone States, in which the "adhesion wouldn't compromise the existing regional alliances" - and he exemplifies with the cas of the United Kingdom belonging to the Commonwealth and that it doesn't harm its participation in the European Union, but "envalues it".

Thanks for the translation Agnes, it makes an interesting read! He has a point that a republic didn't bring a sollkution to all of Portugals problems (no system can solve everything everywhere I guess). I think he mentioned this on various occassions previously too. However, he fails to explain why he thinks that the monarchy would solve more of the present problems (since he wants to change the political system).

He does has some points in his speech of course, esp. about the access to good education, but I don't think the schools in Portugal are worse than in most other EU countries.

Marengo, he has reason when he says the republic didn't solve the problems Portugal was facing in the early XX century but, he also forgets those had appeared during the monarchy and I never quite understood how the monarchy would solve them. I have a degree in history and am specializing in contemporary history and I would have to say Portugal's main problem since the 1800's has been a lack of truly modern and modernizing elites. That problem has gone from the monarchy to the republic, to the dictatorship and back to democracy.

About his views on education he emphasizes it quite often. The proposal he makes (the parents choosing the school and still being a free educational system) is virtually impracticable without a huge increase in public funding. It is a right wing proposal in Portugal. It's not a permanent proposal but every now and then it reappears regarding either education or health care or even both.

One of the problems I can see with our Royal Family being taken seriously is their permanent closeness to right wing sectors of society. They are perceived as very (probably too) religious and overly traditional in most of their choices for political campaigns and charities.

According to Diário de Notícias Dom Duarte has asked for the timorese citizenship: Duarte de Bragança pediu nacionalidade timorense - dn - DN

Duarte de Bragança asked for timorese citizenship

The head of the Royal House, Duarte de Bragança, asked for timorese citizenship, due to the "deep relationship with East-Timor", stated on an interview to Lusa.

In an interview for the ocasion of the Restoration of Idenpendence, siganled today, Duarte de Bragança explained the "Royal House has started contacts to the obtaining of double citizenship, portuguese and timorese, through a request communicated to the President José Ramos-Horta".

The head of the Royal House stressed he had always supported the cause of the timorese independence and, on the other hand, underlined the "deep, spiritual relations of the timorese people with Portugal".

Duarte de Bragança also underlined the House of Bragança and the monarchist flag are symbols of "great significance" to the timorese nation, that has subsequently a special relation with the heir of the last portuguese dinasty.
_______

The comments aren't exactly kind to D. Duarte.

According to Diário de Notícias Dom Duarte has asked for the timorese citizenship
Probably because he's also claiming for support among the Portuguese-speaking countries, as an alternative to the financial meddling of the IMF and the European Union...

1º Dezembro Portugal deveria pedir apoio financeiro aos países lusófonos sugere D. Duarte - Visao.pt

Duarte de Bragança also underlined the House of Bragança and the monarchist flag are symbols of "great significance" to the timorese nation
At least, he likes to believe so... ;)

There are some good pictures of the Duke of Braganza at the Duke of Parmas wedding on his facebook page found here. You can see that he sat in the front row the first seat before Queen Beatrix, a reigning Queen! Large error of protocol there...

There are some good pictures of the Duke of Braganza at the Duke of Parmas wedding on his facebook page found here. You can see that he sat in the front row the first seat before Queen Beatrix, a reigning Queen! Large error of protocol there...

The wedding was a private cerimony.

Q.Beatrix was the only reigning monarch present .

She was there in her capacity of the groom's aunt.

D.Duarte attended as the groom's cousin.

To receive their son, during the halloween break, the Duke and Duchess presented their children with the respective portraits, painted by Mariana Alves do Rio:

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/5050/caras1g.jpg
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/5718/caras2.jpg
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1944/caras3.jpg
(from Caras)

Where did you get the information on the artist ?

On another board, I was told the Infantes were painted by Maria Posser de Andrade (née Curvello) , a sister of D.Raquel de Herédia, the Duchess of Bragança's mother...

Never mind, I found Maria Posser de Andrade Alves do Rio, on Genea;

After all, a distant cousin from D.Isabel.

Obrigada, Elsa M. for the videos.

I'm not a monarchic but I really think people in Portugal should listen D.Duarte in some aspects. This interview was really nice.

the Duke of Bragança and the Foundation D. Manuel II signed an agreement with the Portuguese Society of Beers, which reaffirms Sagres Bohemia beer as the official supplier of the Portuguese Royal House. From now on, Sagres Bohemia is going to display the arms of the Royal House on the labels of its bottles.
To commemorate this achievement, Alberto da Ponte (CEO of Sociedade Central de Cervejas) visited the house of the Duke of Bragança, in Sintra, to offer him the first pack of Sagres Bohemia displaying the seal of Supplier of the Royal House .

Imagens de Marca - Marcas do Dia

Une très belle carte de Noèl. Thank you.

I liked there Christmas card a lot! How were you able to get a signed one, did they send you one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom