The Duke and Duchess of Bragança and Family: February 2008- December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
magazine "Flash""

Do you know the internet site of the magazine. I would like to have this magazine but I cannot find it.

Flash magazine has presently no website :flowers:

D. Duarte homenageado pela Confraria Tripas à Moda do Porto - Portugal - DN

Last Friday, at Palácio da Bolsa (Porto), D. Duarte Pio de Bragança became a member of Confraria Tripas à Moda do Porto (a culinary brotherhood devoted to publicize this typical dish from Porto).
D. Duarte, accompanied by his wife, Isabel de Herédia, was appointed confrere, in the Arab Hall of the Stock Exchange Palace of the city.
The dinner that followed the ceremony assembled more than 500 people, but the Duke and Duchess did not participate in it.​

Good to see the dukes so engaged in sponsorship of traditional values in society (Caritas..) and in family; they looks very respectable to a watcher from abroad like me. What about their residence in Sintra? It seems an historical building: some info about it? does the family own other houses?

What about their residence in Sintra? It seems an historical building: some info about it? does the family own other houses?
Hello, Amedea! Please, take a look at the thread about Portuguese Palaces and Residences, to read what's been posted about that :flowers:

In order to mark the canonization of the Constable Dom Nuno Álvares Pereira (which is going to take place next Sunday, at the Vatican), the Foundation Maria Ulrich, sponsored by the Order of Santa Isabel, has just published a pamphlet that presents his biography to the children.
D. ª Isabel de Bragança spoke about this initiative to Radio Renascença:​

RFM - Só Grandes Músicas Nuno&ti=História ao alcance dos mais pequenos

Renascença - Música e Informação Dia a Dia

Last Friday, the current head of the House of Bragança, D. Duarte, was interviewed for the morning show of Radio Renascença, to talk about D. Nuno Álvares Pereira.
The Constable, who is canonized this Sunday April 26th, was also the founder of the House of Bragança, the dynasty which would be responsible for the restoration of the independence, in 1640.

During the show, D. Duarte considered the new Saint as a good example not only for his family, but also for the militaries, "by trying to prevent deaths during the war. In the battle of Aljubarrota, only 50 Portuguese men were death and, as soon as the Castilians beat the withdrawal, he ordered the troops to stop the battle. He did not allow them to be persecuted".

Today, D. Isabel attended the Mass of the fiftieth anniversary of the Shrine of Christ the King, in Almada.​

_________________________________________________________​

D. Duarte participated in the "Save the Earth and the Water" initiative that was promoted in Vila Nova da Barquinha by the Citizens Network for a New Water Culture (with the support of the IDP and of the D. Manuel II Foundation).​

The Duke of Bragança encouraged the environmental associations to look among the deputies to the European Parliament for any candidates who may be committed to defend these causes, so that the country may have active voice in essential matters as such.​

On June 20th, there will be a demonstration in Talavera de La Reina, against the policy of transfers that is killing the river Tejo.​

Last edited:
Wish I could be there as my family has it's origins there. I would hope there are plenty of pictures available afterwards.

:flowers: MM

Thank you as always Elsa! Nice to see the family again.

D. Duarte de Bragança is visiting the island Terceira, on May 24th-25th.
D. Duarte participated today in the Coronation of the Holy Spirit, at Santa Casa da Misericórdia de Angra, and took the opportunity to talk with the press. He said that the ideal political status for the autonomous regions of Açores and Madeira would be that of an "United Kingdom", like it happens in Scotland or the Netherlands' Antilles.

Article here:
Correio do Minho - Notícias

Article on the not reigning royal families of Europe

I don´t know where to place this article, and as a matter of fact I don´t even know if I should put it in "The Royal Forums" as it is in Italian....
But it´s a too funny article to miss it...
And they mention the duke of Braganza shortly.
(I didn´t read everything but I noticed at least one error, saying king Simeon was elected president of Bulgaria)
Mind there are 2 pages:

http://www.ilgiornale.it/a.pic1?ID=352064&START=0&2col=

But it´s a too funny article to miss it...
And they mention the duke of Braganza shortly.
Haha! «Nice, inoffensive and politically irrelevant»... I couldn't find a better description :D
Thank you very much, Alberto! It gave me some great laughs :D

D. Duarte participated today in the Coronation of the Holy Spirit...
There he goes again with these strange opinions (at least for me, of course): "people are republicans but they don't know why they are republicans... they were born republicans and that's it. If they were logical they compare the sucess of monarchies with the problems of republics"

People are republicans because they are illogical? How can he jugde everyone saying that people don't know whay they are republicans?...
Doesn't he understand that Spain is a monarchy and it has one of the highest rate of unemployment of all Europe? How can he be so sure that Norway is a developed country due to the fact it is a monarchy?

But of course, let's not forget that for D. Duarte, Portugal was a rich and developed country when it was a monarchy (yeah...) LOL

Thank you for the article, Alberto2244!

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't he understand that Spain is a monarchy and it has one of the highest rate of unemployment of all Europe? How can he be so sure that Norway is a developed country due to the fact it is a monarchy?
And doesn't he understand that Finland is a republic and just as developed as their Norwegian and Sweedish neighbours? Talk about fallacy! ;)

But of course, let's not forget that for D. Duarte, Portugal was a rich and developed country when it was a monarchy (yeah...) LOL
Perhaps the same "stable, rich and developed country" that was humiliated by the "Ultimatum", got overly indebted and passed through 10 different governments, in 21 years of D. Carlos' reign :whistling:

Haha! «Nice, inoffensive and politically irrelevant»... I couldn't find a better description :D
Thank you very much, Alberto! It gave me some great laughs :D

Now I like a good laugh to, but sadly my knowledge of the Italian vocabulairy is limited to some food dishes ;). So what was the joke?

Now I like a good laugh to, but sadly my knowledge of the Italian vocabulairy is limited to some food dishes ;). So what was the joke?
The article makes fun of almost all the heirs of European non-reigning houses... very funny, but a bit long for me to translate :ermm: Anyway, the Duke of Bragança is described as a bachelor, who finaly succumbed to marriage at the ahe of 50, marrying a 28 year-old girl. He's presented as a likeable man who likes to go around with a peculiar big brown coat :D and who is able to fully enjoy life, since he was labelled by an historian professor as "nice, inoffensive and politically irrelevant".
Had they mentioned his peculiar voice, and it would be a perfect description, really :D

Now, another article from the visit to Açores...

A União - jornal online

Yesterday, in Angra do heroísmo, D. Duarte Pio said that the fears with which Lisbon and the Constitutional Court regard the issue of regional autonomy are not valid, since he belives this matter doesn't represent a threat to the national unity.

These are typical Alentejo coats (capotes alentejanos). D Duarte wears one like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures and Blog link

Elsa M.,
Thank You so much for posting this link regarding D. Duartes visit to the Island of Terceira. My only wish was to have been there to meet him personally. I don't know too much in depth about him or his family but to spend a few moments with him to understand him a little bit better would have been a nice treat indeed. Or simply to ask him a few personal questions may have been a chance to appreciate his views a little more.

Thanks again,
MM :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom