The Ducal House of Cadaval

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I DON´T LIKE DIANA DE CADAVAL AND YOUR BOYFRIEND.

Who's boyfriend? Mine?! :D (Just kidding, Pedro! ;) )

Well I agree with you that sometimes they talk about themselves or make photoshootings in a way that could make anyone think they are indeed a crown couple. But I still like to watch them, I think they make a beautiful couple and the Duchess is a very joyful young woman. :flowers:

:flowers:I am sorry Regina. I promise you I haven´t anything bad against "your" boyfriend. It´s Charles Philipe of Orleans, I don´t think he is nice.:eek:

I might be wrong probably I am but I heard that Dona Isabel de Herédia is Diane de Cadaval's Godmother. If this is true, then we already know why D. Duarte took that decision.
To be fair, we should be careful about making assumptions based on statements preceded by "I heard that..." and then jumping to the conclusion "If this is true then we already know...", simply because we don't know the process or background reasoning which led the Duke of Bragança to make his decision.

Actually most of the portuguese nobility did not agree with Dom Duartes decision. I personally know many aristocrats who were in court by Rosalinda's side.

The first marriage of the Duque de Cadaval was religious, celebrated in a private chapel.
Later, after the marriage fell apart, Dom Jaime asked the annulment to the Catholica Church affirming that the wedding was not valid so he could marry his second wife.

On what basis did the Catholic Church say that the marriage was not valid? If the wedding was done in a religious chappel, by a priest and such they would have very little reasons to support the late duke in his struggle.

--
It all sounds rather like Henri VIII's story btw...but in the end Mary Tudor got the crown ;)

Last edited:
To be fair, we should be careful about making assumptions based on statements preceded by "I heard that..." and then jumping to the conclusion "If this is true then we already know...", simply because we don't know the process or background reasoning which led the Duke of Bragança to make his decision.

Oops! :) Then I change my post saying that I strongly suspect that D. Duarte made his decision based on the relationship between his wife and Diana. :flowers:

Actually, he had 5 children: two girls from his first wife (Rosalinda and Maria Graziela), two girls from his second wife (Diana and Alexandra) and a son out of the wedlock (Jaime):
GeneAll.net - D. Jaime Álvares Pereira de Melo, 10º duque de Cadaval

Elsa, do you know why Diana doesn't have the surname of her mother, Tritz? Her name is Diana Mariana Vitória Álvares Pereira de Melo. We, the Portuguese, can have 4 surnames, she has only 3.

Elsa, do you know why Diana doesn't have the surname of her mother, Tritz? Her name is Diana Mariana Vitória Álvares Pereira de Melo. We, the Portuguese, can have 4 surnames, she has only 3.
Now you mention, I think it's a family tradition... to keep intact the surnames inherit from the 1.st Duke of Cadaval (D. Nuno Álvares Pereira de Melo).
If we look at the list, we'll see that all the Dukes had:

Name + Álvares Pereira de Melo

Duques de Cadaval

Diana Cadaval is a very beautiful young lady. Three surnames seem very few, my husband had a great-great grandfather who had 2 first names, 15 surnames, with 6 times "de" and twice "e". I hope he didn´t have to sign his name in full too often.

Now you mention, I think it's a family tradition... to keep intact the surnames inherit from the 1.st Duke of Cadaval (D. Nuno Álvares Pereira de Melo).
If we look at the list, we'll see that all the Dukes had:

Name + Álvares Pereira de Melo

Duques de Cadaval

Thanks!! :flowers:

D.Nuno Álvares Pereira

tell me about it, he has two elder daughter from 1st marriage and Diana and another from 2nd. And those two elder daughters has 1 daughter each so alot of women and no men.

There is also a son ... but he was born out of wedlock.

http://www.geneall.net/P/per_page.php?id=6795
http://www.geneall.net/P/per_page.php?id=12992

BTW today , 648 years ago, was born D. Nuno Álvares Pereira (after whom the Cadaval family took their name).
He is a direct ancestor of Diana.
He was the Conétable of Portugal, the right hand of King D.João I (who married his illegitimate son to D.Nuno's daughter founding the House of Bragança) and he is on the list to become a Saint - so far he is just a Blessed.

I looked it up (the son), his name is also Jaime and he was born in 1946. The mother is Rosemary Wright. He married Isabelle Ehrlich and has two daughters: Lea (1994 -) and Elissa (1999 -)

"Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza, in his quality of Head of the Royal House of Portugal, recognized Diana Álvares Pereira de Melo as 11th Duchess of Cadaval.

However, he also granted to her eldest half-sister, Rosalinda Álvares Pereira de Melo, the new title of Duchess of Cadaval-Hermès (she is married to the House Hermès heir). Dona Rosalinda also obtained both titles of Marquess of Ferreira and Countess of Tentúgal, normaly allocated to the Duke of Cadaval heir. Therefore, Rosalinda (or her heirs) will succed her younger half sister as Duchess of Cadaval."

This is from wikipedia. The decision seems to be equitable to me, if it's ture. :rolleyes:

IMHO it was a terrible decision.

I understand the decision to uphold the Duque's desires and name Diana as the 11th Duchess, compensating Rosalinda with new title Duchess of Candaval-Hermes. However, there is no reason why Rosalinda should then succeed her sister. Especially since she is older and it is unlikely she will outlive her younger sister.

In my opinion the best would be to make a clear separation between the inheritance to the two titles: the Candaval-Hermes title to rest with Rosalinda, and upon her death her daughter Olympia, and failing any issue from her, her aunt Maria Graziela and the latter's daughter Marina, and her heirs. And the Candaval title to rest with Diana, and failing her issue, with her sister Alexandra.

Basically the Candaval-Hermes title to be inherited by the issue of the Duque's first wife and the Candaval title to be inherited by the issue of the second; only passing to the heirs of the other marriage in the complete extinction of heirs from sisters of the same mother.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree it was not a wise and fair decision and I'm afraid some people in future may take advantage of this sad event. They will say "If D. Duarte did this to Diane, why can't he do the same to me?", etc.

Somehow I understand D. Duarte's feelings... It was not an easy decision for him since he and his wife are very close friends of Diane's family. And as you said Diane's father wanted Diane as the next Duchess of Cadaval. These are strong reasons but someone should had adviced D. Duarte of how polemic this would become.
D. Duarte is not used to make important public decisions, and this leads people to think he is not prepared to deal with difficult issues, since he seems to put personal preferences above everything else.

I am honest when I say I really like Diana de Cadaval. I like her posture, her sense of style, I loved her wedding and I think Diane and Charles-Philippe make a bautiful couple, but it's sad to know she fought for a title that didn't belong to her in first place as it was not pretty to say that the only sister she has in Alexandra, as she did in a interview before her wedding.

I wonder if D. Duarte and Dª Rosalinda have a friendly relationship nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the only way Diana can nowadays be Duchess de Cadaval is that her older sisters and cousins renounce to it...

any info or pics of Olympia Guerrand-Hermès?

Last edited:
thank you Elsa M.
I hope we'll find something more on her :)

Dona Rosalinda was there too? With her halfsister(s), now that must have been an interesting reunion.
Why did the Cadaval family members attend this ceremony, are they descendants from Nuno Alvares Pereira as well?

The Cadaval are direct descendants......They even have the surname Alvares Pereira....

The Cadaval are direct descendants......They even have the surname Alvares Pereira....

As I said in another thread, I wonder if the half-sisters greeted each other, I hope so.

The Condestável Nuno Álvares pereira had one daughter, Beatriz Pereira de Alvim, who married D. Afonso, the first Duke of Braganza. He had a son, D. Fernando who married Dona Joana de Castro, daughter of D. João de Castro, Lord of Cadaval.
So, Diana Álvares Pereira de Melo (Duchess of Cadaval) is a direct descendant of D. Nuno Álvares Pereira.

Which only makes other pretensions even more ridiculous....
There is no doubt about it, it would have been interesting to see if the sisters were seated together.

I hope magazines like Caras or Lux provide us pictures but I don't think the press payed attention to Rosalinda, they never did.

Two Duchesses of Cadaval, one with her husband´s name tagged on. Duchess Cadaval-Hermes.
We can only hope that we get some good pictures, perhaps Hola will show us the places reserved for family. Diana Cadaval certainly is a good subject for photographers, a very beautiful young lady and charming too from what I have heard from people who have met her.

Two Duchesses of Cadaval, one with her husband´s name tagged on. Duchess Cadaval-Hermes.
We can only hope that we get some good pictures, perhaps Hola will show us the places reserved for family. Diana Cadaval certainly is a good subject for photographers, a very beautiful young lady and charming too from what I have heard from people who have met her.

hmmm... A Spanish magazine present at this event? :rolleyes: :D

I don't think Hola would like to be present at the canonization of a RC saint who fought so badly againstthe Spaniards... :D (I'm kidding, of course). Let's wait some few more days, or maybe Elsa can find good pictures for us, as she always does :flowers:

LOL, I forgot what S.Nuno Alvares Cabral did!!! LOL again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom