The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Portugal

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Scanned from Caras magazine, by mtbcm:

The harmony of the union between the Dukes of Bragança (who commemorated in Fátima, last May 13th, their eleventh wedding anniversary) rests upon mutual respect and the share of the same spiritual values. "We have the luck of knowing each other very well and of believing in the same values, what helps very much. We also have our quarrels, like any other couple, but we take very care to avoid hurting the other, because later it is difficult to go back. When we are irritated, we prefer to calm down a bit, before talking on the subject, so not to hurt the other person", confessed D.ª Isabel.

Together with the three children, the Dukes of Bragança participated in the celebrations of the May 13th, in the shrine of Fátima, which congregated 400 000 people. Always very affectionate towards their parents, there were Alfonso, Maria Francisca and Dinis (10, 9 and 6 years old, respectively), who had behaved themselves exemplarily, during the mass, despite the heat that was felt. "They are well trained; they attend mass every Sunday", explained D.ª Isabel. The youngest one, Dinis, is already preparing himself for the first communion, which is expected to take place next year.

At the shrine, the Dukes were touched by the profound devotion of the people, who filled the sanctuary with a sea of white handkerchiefs. "This is a moment of great spiritual union for all the Portuguese", confessed D. Duarte Pio, lamenting however the limitations of the enclosure, due to the construction of the new basilica, which now occupies great part of the old boulevard that used to concentrate the prayers, thousands of whom could not enter the shrine.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Royal Highness

I was wondering.. what is the age difference between the Dukes?
I already heard so many ages... that i'm not very sure!

Old 05-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...JuAnItA...
I was wondering.. what is the age difference between the Dukes?
I already heard so many ages... that i'm not very sure!
The Duke of Bragança is 21 years older than his wife. D. Duarte was born on May 15th 1945, while D.ª Isabel was born on November 22th 1966. For more details, please read the biographies that were posted before.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Gentry

Smile Portuguese Royals

Thank you so much for posting this information Elsa M. I always love learning about any Royal Family albeit it be non-reigning, especially that of the Braganza House to which I am now learining about. I am of Portuguese descent living in Canada. I always enjoy learning about my parents homeland and in essence my ancestral land also. Can you tell me who is on our avatars? I pick this lady because she was in the Portugal catagory. I am not too familiar with who she is. Please indulge me although I am still learning about this fabulous family.

Regards,
Me
Old 05-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Hello, Maidmarion! It's always nice to find Portuguese members here! :)

The lady in our avatars, however, is not related to the Portuguese royals. She is Archduchess Catharina of Austria, daughter of Archduke Rudolf von Habsburg and of his second wife, Princess Anna Gabrielle von Wrede. See her wedding thread here.

The avatar you picked is from our gallery of "Royalty around the world", where it appears immediatly after the 9 avatars of Portuguese royals.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Gentry

Wink Thank You

Thank You very much. Certainly appreciate it.
MM
Old 06-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Here's a video about D. Manuel's exile in Twickenham (England); a documentary:

Old 06-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Commoner

thank you that was a very nice video about our last kings exile, a bit short but well done. i must say everytime i read somthing new or see something new about D. Manuel the more i come to admire him, and thank God for have given him to us even though he did not reign long, actualy very short, he showed him self to be a great person and king, even in exile from his kingdom also showed his love and affection for his country and people.
May God keep HM D. Manuel II, in his glory forever.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

http://www.lusa.pt/print.asp?id=SIR-8084465

The Duke of Bragança travelled last week to East-Timor, as requested by the Timorese Minister of Foreign Affairs and by the Bishop of Baucau.
D.Duarte arrived in Dilí on Tuesday and met José Ramos Horta and D. Basílio do Nascimento, with whom he was having contact, since the very beginning of the most recent Timorese conflict. According to D. Duarte Pio's cabinet, the Duke travelled to East-Timor coming from China, where he has gone to attend the Duke of Edimburg Awards.

http://jn.sapo.pt/2006/06/19/ultimas...ve_retido.html

D. Duarte Pio was detained last Sunday during about half an hour by the Australian militars, after visiting President Xanana Gusmão, in an incident that the Duke of Bragança considered as a proof of the Australian contingent’s lack of professionalism.

The incident took place coming from Balibar to the capital, when the car of the embassy of Portugal, duly identified with the diplomatic registration, was ordered to stop by the Australian military squadron.

"I was just coming from visiting President Xanana, when the agent of the GOE (Group of Special Operations, of Portuguese Police, PSP), who was travelling with me, was ordered by an Australian soldier, to deliver his gun. It is not something normal!", affirmed D. Duarte. "' I want the gun!', said the Australian soldier to the GOE agent, who very calmly answered: "I don’t think so!'

While this, many trucks and cars were passing by us, which were not controlled at all!", said the Duke of Bragança in declaration to Lusa agency. "If the aim (of the Australian troops) is to contain violence, it is certainly not diplomats and Portuguese police agents, who are assaulting houses in Díli!", emphasized the heir to the Throne. According to D. Duarte Pio, it took about half an hour until the car of the embassy of Portugal could finally return to Díli.

The Duke of Bragança left Díli yesterday (Monday), after a four days stay in East-Timor, during which he met President Xanana Gusmão, the Prime-minister, Mari Alkatiri, the Minister of the Foreign Affairs, José Ramos Horta, and the bishop of Díli, D. Alberto Ricardo da Silva, besides having visited the Diocesan Graphic Factory of Baucau, an institution supported by the D. Manuel II Foundation.

http://www.rtp.pt/index.php?article=245525&visual=16

"There is relative disenchantment towards the international presence", concluded the Duke of Bragança, after the round of the contacts he kept in East-Timor.

Surprised by the intensity of the Timorese crisis, D. Duarte Pio expressed the sincere wish that it will all end with a "true national reconciliation". "In fact, this internal conflict does not make any sense. There are many people, who suspect of external causes, may be some country that wants to prove that Timor is not governable", he affirmed, without wanting to enter in more details.

The brief visit that concluded yesterday will be compensated by the vacations that the Duke intends to make in September: "I’m leaving optimistic (regarding the resolution of the crisis) and I have already reserved rooms in the Inn of Baucau, to pass here my vacation in September with my family. Before, I will come to Bali, to attend the marriage of the youngest daughter of the former Indonesian president Sukarno, Megawati Sukarnoputri", revealed the Duke of Bragança.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Here are the links to the photos of the Duke and Duchess of Bragança, posted at the thread of King Carl Gustaf's 60th Birthday Celebrations:

http://s2.supload.com/free/57494123.jpg/view/
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5898/preseeger001588495jy.jpg

http://s2.supload.com/free/pre-SEEGER00158986.jpg/view/
(By GettyImages and SeegerPress)
Old 06-28-2006, 05:59 AM
Gentry

Hello,

Does anyone have any photo of Dona Soraya, Princesa da Beira?
Old 06-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang Ayah
Does anyone have any photo of Dona Soraya, Princesa da Beira?
Hello, Dang Ayah!
The person you're referring to is not Princess of Beira. She belongs to a colateral branch Saxe Coburgo Gotha e Bragança of the Portuguese royal family, descending from D.ª Maria Pia, which is claiming the succession to the Portuguese Throne, but which is not recognized among the absolute majority of the monarchic community.

You have here the official site of these claimants, among which is Soraya Lucia Sayda Tecla:

http://www.realcasaportuguesa.org/po...yalfamily.html
Old 06-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Gentry

Hi Elsa, Thanks for that info and the site. I was just curious because a friend had mentioned about her.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Photos of the Duke and Duchess of Bragança attending the GD Couple's Silver Wedding Celebrations can be found here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/469036-post398.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/467696-post165.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/468445-post326.html
Old 07-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Today, 27 July 2006, Dom Duarte attended the Lisbon Regatta, in Lisbon.

pictures from seegerpress

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00164205.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	257046   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00164207.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	257047   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00164208.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	257048   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00164209.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	257049  

Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00164210.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	257050   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00164211.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	257051   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00164204.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	257052   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00164206.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	257053  

Old 07-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Thanks, purple platinum! :)

That is the famous Tall Ships Race, which celebrated its 50th anniversary last Sunday (July 23rd), in Lisbon. The Tejo river assembled this year 76 of the most beautiful boats in the world, coming from 19 different countries.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Gentry

Can anymone explain why the Portuguese flag in the last few photos of Dom Duarte are blue and white? I know the Azores flag is such colour but the Portuguese National flag that I have seen has always been Green and Red. Might it be due to the Royal Family?
Great Piictures Purple Platinum.
Thank You so much, I am very curious about this.

MM
Old 08-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidmarion
Can anymone explain why the Portuguese flag in the last few photos of Dom Duarte are blue and white? I know the Azores flag is such colour but the Portuguese National flag that I have seen has always been Green and Red. Might it be due to the Royal Family?
Hello, Maidmarion!
The flag you see in that picture is the monarchic flag... that's how the Portuguese flag looked like, before Portugal became a Republic. The blue and white are related to the colours of our first king's (D. Afonso Henriques) coat of arms, since his father was the Duke of Bourgogne (a French region, where he came from, in order to fight in the crusades of the XI century), before becoming Count of Portucallis.

According to the Royal Decree of 1821, when the flag was created, the two colors were chosen for being those used in the banner of the Portuguese Nation, since the very begining of the monarchy. It was also a glorification of the deeply Marianic and Catholic spirit of the Portuguese people, since it is also the color of the mantle that covers the image of Our Lady of Conception (Nossa Senhora da Conceição), the Patron of the Kingdom.

Here is D. Afonso Henriques' coat of arms, which was basically his father's blue and white cross plus the silver bezants (and which is in the origin of the five blue shields (quinas) that we have in the Monarquic and Republican flags):

The monarquic flag:

The republican falg:
Old 08-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Gentry

Thank You

Wow Elsa M.,
Thank You so very much for that info. Fascinating indeed. I really appreciate it.
MM
Old 08-11-2006, 08:40 AM

Elsa M,

thank you for the information on the Portuguese monarchic flag. Even being portuguese, I did not know all the details, namely that the colours of D. Afonso Henriques' coat of arms came from the Duke of Bourgogne colours.

And I appreciate so many details on the Portuguese Royal family, they are a happy family, stable and solid. I have progressively become more and more monarchic mainly because of them.

Tags
dom duarte, dona isabel, duchess of bragança, duke of bragança, portuguese royal family