Queen D.ª Maria I 'The Pious' and King D. Pedro III

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Maria I da Glória Francisca Isabel Josefa Antónia Gertrudes Rita Joana, Queen of Portugal and the Algarves (Lisbon, 17 December 1734 - Rio de Janeiro, 20 March 1816); married at Ajuda in Lisbon, 6 June 1760 her uncle, Pedro III Clemente Francisco José António, jure uxoris King of Portugal and the Algarves (Lisbon, 5 July 1717 - Lisbon, 5 March 1786)

Reign Maria I: 1777 - 1816 (from 1799 her son acted as a regent)

Predecessor: King José I of Portugal and the Algarves

Succeeded by: King João VI of Portugal and the Algarves

Children: Prince José of Portugal, Prince of Beira, Prince of Brazil; Prince João Francisco, Princess Maria Isabel and King João VI of Portugal, Princess Mariana of Spain and Princess Maria Clementina of Portugal

Parents Queen Maria I: King José I of Portugal and Princess Mariana Victoria of Spain

Parents King Pedro III: King João V of Portugal and Archduchess Maria Anna of Austria

Siblings Queen Maria I: Princess Maria Ana and Princess Maria Francisca of Portugal and Princess Maria Francisca of Brazil

Siblings King Pedro III: Queen Barbara of Spain, Prince Pedro, King José I, Prince Carlos and Prince Alexandre of Portugal

Last edited:
Maria I (pronounced [mɐˈɾiɐ fɾɐ̃ˈsiʃkɐ]), (Portuguese full name: Maria Francisca Isabel Josefa Antónia Gertrudes Rita Joana de Bragança), the Pious (Port. a Piedosa), derogatory the Mad (Port. a Louca) (Lisbon December 17, 1734 – Rio de Janeiro March 20, 1816) was the eldest of the four daughters of King Joseph I of Portugal. Her mother Marianne Victoria of Borbón was daughter of Philip V of Spain and Elizabeth Farnese.
On the day of her birth, her grandfather, King John V of Portugal, created her the Princess of Beira. When her father, Joseph I, succeeded to the throne in 1750, Maria was declared his heiress and given the traditional title of Princess of Brazil, though not Duchess of Bragança.
She married her father's younger brother, Peter, on June 6, 1760. In 1777, she became the first Queen regnant of Portugal, and Algarves, and the 26th (or 27th according to some historians) Portuguese monarch. Her husband became the king-consort, known as Peter III.
Her first act as queen was to dismiss the popular prime minister, the Marquis of Pombal, who had broken the power of the reactionary aristocracy via the Tavora affair, partially because of Pombal's Enlightenment, anti-Jesuit policies. Noteworthy events of this period were Portugal's membership of the League of Armed Neutrality (July 1782) and the 1781 cession of Delagoa Bay from Austria to Portugal.
Queen Maria suffered from religious mania and melancholia. This acute mental illness (perhaps due to porphyria, which also attainted George III of the United Kingdom) made her incapable of handling state affairs after 1799. Her surviving son Prince John became regent for his widowed mother.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Pedro III (pronounced [ˈpedɾu]) or Peter III (July 5, 1717 – May 25, 1786) became King-consort of the Kingdom of Portugal and Algarves by the accession of his wife and niece Queen Maria I in 1777, and co-reigned alongside her until his death.
Pedro was the younger son of John V of Portugal and Mary Anne of Austria. Pedro was a younger brother of Joseph I of Portugal. Their maternal grandparents were Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor and Eleonore-Magdalena of Pfalz-Neuburg.
Pedro married Maria, Princess of Brazil, in 1760, at which time she was the heir to the throne then held by his brother José I. According to custom, Pedro thus became prince of Brazil in right of his wife. They had six children, of whom the eldest surviving son succeeded Maria as João VI on her death in 1816.
Pedro made no attempt to participate in government affairs, spending his time hunting or in religious exercises.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Queen Maria I established the charitable institution Casa Pia.
Casa Pia is an educational institution dedicated to helping youngsters in risk of social exclusion or without paternal support.

Queen Maria I in 1789 banned the editor of the Lisbon Gazette from printing any more stories about the bloodshed abroad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pedro and Maria married on June 6, 1760. Where did the wedding occur?

Queen Maria I was buried firstly at the Ajuda Convent in Rio de Janeiro following her death but was brought back to Portugal for reburial in 1821.
The Ajuda Convent was demolished in 1911.

Why did King Pedro III defend the high nobility of Portugal?

Back
Top Bottom