Portuguese Regicide: Feb. 1st 1908

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D. Duarte Nuno claimed that he and his son, D. Duarte Pio, were born as Portuguese but there is the strong suspicion that in 1961 he tried to falsify the birth certificates of him and his son.
His birth certificate says he was born in the Portuguese embassy of Bern, which would be Portuguese soil... but there's indeed such suspicion.

(Perhaps it would be better to move this discussion to the Royal Family thread... I have an old issue, from 2004, of Notícias Magazine, with a great profile/interview with Infanta D. Adelaide)

Last edited:
His birth certificate says he was born in the Portuguese embassy of Bern, which would be Portuguese soil... but there's indeed such suspicion.

Just like you said, Elsa, I am not sure if this the right thread to talk about this. I just wanted to say that it is impossible that D. Duarte Pio had been born (1945) in the Portuguese Embassy of Bern, when the Law of Banishment was only revogated in 1950. In 1945, Duarte Nuno was not a Portuguese, so his son could never be allowed to be born in Portuguese Territory. Even if that happened, it was an illegal decision, contrary to the monarchist Law of Nationality of 1826.

Back to the Regicide, one of the most interesting books that are now republished is D. Manuel's journal, where he tells his own version of that traumatizing event. It's being republished by Ésquilo and here are a few excerpts:
DN Online: NAS PÁGINAS DO DIÁRIO DE D. MANUEL II

Fantastic news! Thanks Elsa :flowers:, I didn't know anything about the existence of this book. I will buy it for sure.

Darn, I have digital television since 1 week and am able to get the history channel! Any chance that it will be repeated?

Darn, I have digital television since 1 week and am able to get the history channel! Any chance that it will be repeated?
Not sure if it's just being aired on the Portuguese History Channel or if it's worldwide... perhaps you can check with the Dutch version of the network.

In Portugal, it repeated on Tuesday:
Canal de Historia

Last edited:
Regicídio: Landau onde morreu D. Carlos integra exposição sobre o Rei no Museu dos Coches - RTP Notícias

The open carriage where King D. Carlos was traveling when the regicide took place is one of the pieces of an exhibition held at the National Coach Museum, since Wednesday.

Besides this open carriage, the exhibition includes a series of saddles that once belonged to the King, as well as documents, photographs, engravings and paintings made by D. Carlos.

At the end of the exhibition, a 12-minute film shows the visitants a series of unedited images of the monarch, who was murdered 100 years ago.

Sol
Hundreds of people (more than 500) remembered today King D. Carlos and his son, D. Luis Filipe, in Terreiro do Paço (Lisbon), the place where they were killed 100 years ago.
I was there :) and I took pictures.
We must have been quite near one another that day.
I'll try to post the photos I took of the RF.
And I have a brief appearance at RTP coverage ;)

BTW the one you call "The Chief of the Foundation Casa de Bragança speaking" is one of the van Uden brothers, Adriano IIRC

Last edited by a moderator:
We must have been quite near one another that day.I'll try to post the photos I took of the RF.

:)
JSP, when you can please post your pictures! :flowers: I would love to see them.

I've tried to post them but I haven't been able.

How does one post photos here ?

JSP, you have your pictures saved in your pc, right?

So, what I do when the pictures belong to me (and not to any Agency) is

1- go here ImageShack® - Image Hosting

2 - Browse the picture

3 - choose 640x840 (for message boards)

3 - clink in "host it"

4 - at the end of the page, copy the link "direct link to image"

5 - paste the link in your message here

Maybe there is an easier way to do this, that's how I post my pictures.

You can also create an account in Register for free at Photobucket.com , browse the pictures, and copy & paste the "direct link" under each picture.

Dear Regina

Forgive my complete ignorance :bang:.

My menu is in portuguese.

When you say "Browse" the picture :eek:, what sould I do :whistling: ?

I assume you are portuguese or, resident in Portugal, familiar with the language.

Have a nice very hot week end

Don't worry dear, I took one month to cope with Excel program :D

1 - open the imageshack site

2 - you'll see "Procurar" - "browse" under 5 little circles. Click there.

3 - then you search for the pictures in your pc (maybe they are in your "ambiente de trabalho"). You click in one of them.

4 - on the image shack page choose 640x840 (for message boards). Even with a portuguese menu, Image Shack's language is english.

5 - clink in "host it"

6 - at the end of the page, copy the link "direct link to image".

7 - paste (right click of the mouse and then "colar") the link in your message here

Do the same thing for all the other pictures, one by one.

Yupili!! They are Perfect :clap: Thanks a lot JSP, I couldnt wait to see them, really.

I can see you were really close to them. I arrived soon to the event but I went to the wrong side of the square :lol: All I could see was strange people dancing african dances and playing the drums.
When we arrived to the right place, there were already too many people, so it was difficult to take a good look. :)

Sol
Hundreds of people (more than 500) remembered today King D. Carlos and his son, D. Luis Filipe, in Terreiro do Paço (Lisbon), the place where they were killed 100 years ago.
I was there :) and I took pictures.
The Chief of the Foundation Casa de Bragança speaking
Glad you liked them, after all the effort.
Judging by your own photos, you were not that distant from the royal party.

I was almost in front and had the fortune of having D.Duarte and the Pr. of Beira passing just in front of me when they went to put the wreath under the plaque honouring King D.Carlos and the Crown-Prince Luis-Filipe

BTW the one you name "The Chief of the Foundation Casa de Bragança" is one of Francisco van Uden's brothers, Adriano if I am not mistaken.
He was in charge of the program of the commemorations.
From what I heard, the Foundation of the House of Bragança likes to mark its distance from the RF and focus on running its estates.

Another lesson please.
The photos I posted had the http....., while yours are numbered 1,2,3... and other posters write directly the person in the pics D.Duarte, D.Isabel, etc.
How does one post a picture with the name of the person instead of the http ?

Glad you liked them, after all the effort.

Judging by your own photos, you were not that distant from the royal party.

At the end, I could reach them :D

BTW the one you name "The Chief of the Foundation Casa de Bragança" is one of Francisco van Uden's brothers, Adriano if I am not mistaken.

From what I heard, the Foundation of the House of Bragança likes to mark its distance from the RF and focus on running its estates.

Are you sure it's Adriano?

Another lesson please.

The photos I posted had the http....., while yours are numbered 1,2,3... and other posters write directly the person in the pics D.Duarte, D.Isabel, etc.

How does one post a picture with the name of the person instead of the http ?

:D I spent years trying to understand what you're asking.
I don't know if there is another method to do this, but here is how I put "titles" on the pics:

1 - you have the link of one of your pics. http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7030/tpao2008001ru9.jpg With the mouse (right click) copy-shortcut it (Copiar Atalho).

2 - On your post you write the title you want to give to the picture, like 1, or D. Duarte and D. Afonso

3 - Select your title with the mouse (like you do when you want to copy a link) and then click on that small icon (a blue globe under the smiley icon) above your message. Type: http
URL: (delete that http:// and just "past" the link of your picture)

4 - click OK

:D :flowers:

Last edited:
Many thanks !

I will try it on a next occasion.

As to your question, my mistake, it is not Adriano but his brother Nuno

A link to the site of the comemoration with lots of info and photos (There is one of the crowd facing the podium where the RF and Father Quintella were standing. May be you appear in it :ermm: ) :

D. Carlos - 100 Anos

I was close to the RTP car so I was far :( But I would love to see myself here :lol:
I don't know much about Francisco Van Uden's brothers. But we don't see them together with D. Duarte quite often. It seems Nuno is closer to D. Duarte then the others.

The only thing I surely know about Francisco family is that his mother, Adelaide Van Uden, was a Boxer dogs owner (Boxers da Caparica). She was forbidden by her children to have more boxers since she was getting old :) (I don't resist to tell that I have now my second boxer, and IMO they are a bit ugly but they are soo expressive and loyal :wub: )

Thanks Elsa, A terrible murder but something that has stuck in my mind is the thought of Queen D.Amelia standing up in the carriage, her husband and her son murdered, and there she was she hitting the murderer with all her might with all she had at hand, her bouquet. Brave woman!

http://www.cm-lagos.pt/portal_autarquico/lagos/v_pt-PT/pagina_inicial/destaques/dom_duarte_em_lagos.htm

D. Duarte Pio inaugurated today in Lagos the exhibition "D. Carlos - A Constitutional King", at the Fortaleza Ponta da Bandeira. The aim of this exhibition, along with the series of conferences to be held during next January, at the Centro Ciência Viva, is to present this king, who was murdered 100 years ago.
The collection was kindly provided for this exhibition by the Aquarium Vasco da Gama, the Naval Association of Lisbon, the Naval Club of Lisbon and several individuals, who contributed to illustrate the various facets of the King, especially that of an oceanographic researcher and artist.​

The exhibition will be held until January 16th, 2009.​

Perhaps this will help people to appreciate the value of their kings and the monarchy. Any thoughts on how this will affect the general population of Portugal?

Any idea where in Lisbon the exhibition is held? I will be in Portugal soon so if I have the time it might be a nice exhibition to visit.

Any idea where in Lisbon the exhibition is held? I will be in Portugal soon so if I have the time it might be a nice exhibition to visit.
I believe it's no longer in Lisbon, Marengo. It was in Terreiro do Paço from January 15th to April 20th, but now the exhibition is in Lagos.
Anyway, you have here the brochure:
http://www.dcarlos100anos.pt/Ficheiros/exposicao.pdf

Meanwhile, here's an article about the regicide that was published by Caras magazines (with some rare photos):

http://www.pt.cision.com/online/resultado_mail.asp?ver=tif&codf=5595&idnoticia=7399543&tipo=cr

Last edited:

Marengo, if you go to Portugal soon try to visit the exhibition of Queen Amelia, in Casa Museu Dr. Anastácio Gonçalves. It's a very good one, I can assure you :) and the Regicide is a very stressed topic in this exhibition.

Back
Top Bottom